The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Baby (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
The babies are four weeks old and sitting on the bottom of the cage. Do I put food trays on bottom of cage or when it's time do they hop up on the perch to eat?
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
Tray on Bottom if they cant reach up to the perch. Small dish of seed on the bottom, so the parents can pick thru it, then the kids will watch the parents, and they will be curious and try as well when the time comes, The parents will help ween them as well. Ot may get messy. and also watch for them setting in it, don't want the Fesces in it if yo7u can help it. Glad to hear the kids made it.
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
Thanks Chris. One white and one tan. Will the tan one possibly get white?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5168 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Sounds like you have ringneck doves. True ringnecks are brown in color however because of genetics and family history, breeding may produce white ones. While both of you birds may be white, there is still the brown gene in their system. The tan one will not turn white but that isn't a bad thing. I used a fully brown bird in my act for years. I used it in a prop rather than just a bare hand production.

Amos Levkovitch had one that actually looked blue and I think it added something to his act.
Where the magic begins
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
Thanks Dave. They seem to be healthy. Do I need to remove them from cage later or wait it out to see if they get along?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5168 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
As long as your cage is large enough to handle 4 birds, there is no reason to remove them. How big is your cage?. If either of your newbies are males, you'll have to watch the male parent as he may start attacking the younger one as a domination move.
Where the magic begins
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
30" wide 18" deep and 18" high
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
Ok Dave and Chris. Babies are about six and a half weeks old. The female was just pecking away at one of the babies who just hangs out at the bottom of the cage. I took the babie out and the dad is not happy with me now. Any advice? Thanks, Mike
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5168 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Mike, the male will get ovrer it. If the babies are feeding themselves, it's fine to move them to their own cage. In fact,your cage is too small for 4 birds anyway. My rule of thumb for two birds is 24" x 24" by 18" at a minimum. They must have room to excercise and flap their wings.

Glad to hear the babies are doing well. Congrats
Where the magic begins
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Congrats on your new baby doves!!! I'm hoping that I will be so lucky someday.

Regan
Mister Mystery
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
Ok thanks Dave. New cage in the house. The baby seems at home now. She was sitting in the corner cowering when she was with mom and dad. And in a blink of the eye two more eggs. Time for a vasectomy.
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
Babies are about 8 weeks old and you can't tell the difference in size already. The mom layed two more eggs a couple if weeks ago. One hatched yesterday and does not look like he's going to make it. Other egg is starting to crack. Stay tuned!
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
Keep us posted
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
Ok. New baby did not make it. Second egg did not hatch. She laid another egg today. This dove is a machine. One of the babies born eight or nine weeks ago will not sit on perch. I put a perch about two inches off the bottom and still nothing. I put it on a higher perch and just jumps down. Any ideas?
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
Chris or Dave, any help with the above question. Thanks, Mike
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5168 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Survival is a crap shoot when it comes to doves. Sometimes they just don't make it and there's no reason. I can't count hw many birds I've lost in the past.

As for the young one not sitting on a perch, again there's no way to figure out what a dove thinks. Do you have a perch in front of you the food dish? My dish was a cup fastened to the cage about 6" from the bottom. I had a perch in front of it so the doves would sit on the perch and eat.

Is you bird eating ok? If it is and it doesn't appear to be sick at all, just leave it alone and see what happens. Sorry I can't be more specific but it's not a specific thing.

Your adult sounds normal. Once they start laying eggs, there's no stopping them.
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Baby (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL