The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How you got your magic name (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
foreva.infiniti
View Profile
Regular user
6 Posts a + a 6 Posts =
116 Posts

Profile of foreva.infiniti
Im Foreva Infiniti and my magic's derived from Numbers and Colors. Colors are Foreva and Numbers are Infinite.
Colors are Foreva. Numbers are Infinite. 4 every number there's a color. HEY! Eternity! Lets smoke a beer and drink some loud. But wait! I heard you was a six a plus a 6 ahhhh.
maxnew40
View Profile
Elite user
402 Posts

Profile of maxnew40
I am working an a Mentalism/Bizarre act right now that will probably take a year or more to be happy with. The name I am going to use for this act is Maximus Miraculous. I will combine some Mentalism, Bizarre/Spooky, and also do some basic Tarot readings (a long standing interest of mine). My real name is Max and this name is sort of a play on Miracle Max from the princess Bride.

-Max
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I would suggest that the name you take should be appropriate for the type of show you perform, and the audience.

A name like "Silly Billy" may work for kids shows, but could work against you if you do corporate shows. Some have suggested just using your name if you perform in senior homes - it will help them identify with you.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
actorscotty
View Profile
Veteran user
wilmington nc
398 Posts

Profile of actorscotty
My name is john scott, so my stage names are derived from that, my wizard persona is Scotty DuWizard,In pirate shows I am Mystical Johny the Scott, etc, otherwise just John Scott
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
I’ve really never liked my family name, but have always used variations of my given name. An early version was Donovan. A couple years ago I was mulling over how to “re-enter” magic world, I figured an after-dinner show would be the simplest. “Dinner with Donatelli” sounded about right to me, and since then it’s been just Donatelli.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Having had 2 previous names (Mandarin and Diamond Jim) both of which I still use occasionally, I currently use a name taken from the T.S. Eliot book "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats". A lead character in the musical "Cats", I like it because he is a "Conjuring Cat" and quite magical. Those who have seen "Cats" will remember-

And we all say: OH!
Well I never!
Was there ever
A Cat so clever
As Magical Mr. Mistoffelees!

The slight spelling adjustment is intentional, as I wanted to make the name closer to "Mystery"...

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
magicnium0772
View Profile
New user
England
10 Posts

Profile of magicnium0772
Mine came from my young nephew's inability to pronounce the letter L. So, Liam became Nium and it just stuck. Obviously if I was table hopping I would use my real name but yeah that's the story of magicnium.
pepita
View Profile
New user
Paris
71 Posts

Profile of pepita
I'm not really a magician so it's a bit different.
In my country, when you are a "general" comedian, performing for children gives you a bad image. I absolutely love performing for children, but I wanted to make sure I could go back to general dramatic stage if I wanted to one day, so I decided to have a name for kid shows.
First name Pepita was the name of a character in a Christmas show I'd written. Pop...was because I'm a balloon twister too.
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
That’s a valid concern in this country as well, especially for mentalists. If you do “magic”, then you are seen as a trickster, not good for serious mentalism. Most performers who do both also maintain separate websites, so that people looking for magicians find one set of information, and those seeking mentalists find a different page.

I discovered a couple years ago that I can play a really convincing Santa Claus, and of course Santa should be able to do magic. But I really love mind reading also. The balance for now is that between Halloween and Christmas (“holiday” season) I do Santa, then at New Years I turn into Donatelli.

In the back of my mind I have yet another character waiting to get out (at least two years away), and I have no idea how I’ll handle him! Smile
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Although I don't use a stagename, I took my MagicCafe username--Anatole--from the episode "The Great Anatole" on the TV anthology series "Dick Powell Theater." Curt Jurgens starred in the title role and IMHO his portrayal was the single greatest performance ever by an actor playing the part of a magician. Dana Wynter played the role of Barbara Bellamore, Anatole's assistant, and her portrayal was, I feel, the single greatest performance by an actress of a magician's assistant. Jurgens did all the tricks himself in the show. There was a "Film to Life" sequence in the show that was outstanding. The story/plot was fantastic as well.

I think if I had become a professional magician, I would have adopted a stage name because both my first name and my last name are very difficult for people unfamiliar with Spanish to pronounce, and I have Anglicized the pronunciation of my last name because the Spanish pronunciation of the "v" and the "ae" are rather different from the way the letters are pronounced in English.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Samriklown
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Samriklown
Choosing a name is a greatly personal thing, people have various and as-sundry ways of assuming their stage name. As you have seen here, some use their own name or variants there of. Others adopt outlandish names, IE The Pendragons, etc.
In my lifetime I have been several characters starting as Tater the Clown, a naming story way to convoluted to tell here, I decided to get more bookings in a broader market dropped the clown and, as I am also a balloon entertainer, adopted Professor Twist, a character in an Ogden Nash Poem "The Purist". This second name came from a long list of names bandied about by my wife and I for almost two weeks, when I finally settled on the right one, it just fit and felt right, like those sneakers you know you should throw away but they just feel so nice to wear. I am also a make-up artist/face and body Painter and my newest personality is Paul P Kasso, artist extraordinaire.
Over the years I've played with new concepts, new ideas, different names, different characters. The key is to find what suits you.You'll know it when you find it. Grab a sheet of paper and a pen or pencil and start writing...your name, variations of your name, fun things about what you do, variations of that, and grow your list like that. Then walk away for awhile, don't touch it for several hours, when you come back, look over the list with a critical eye. It helps, believe me. I've named business' and helped other characters through the years.
nilreb
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of nilreb
Ive been considering one for myself. What I have in mind is Floyd(ian) Kovanica. I just incorporated two things I like. Pink Floyd and Coins. Kovanica is 'coin' in Croatian. Perhaps using foreing words can add something unique to it.
Majake314
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
245 Posts

Profile of Majake314
I could just use jake(last name)magic as my business name
And I'll guess I'll just have to wait until I find the perfect name, until then jake the the magician or jake the magnificent might have to do
prestidigitation
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of prestidigitation
Mononym names are the best choices, in my opinion: Teller, Cher, Sting...uh, Buddah.
Jacob3
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Jacob3
Who needs a magic name
prestidigitation
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of prestidigitation
Take any name, add an -ini to the end. Presto! Instant magic name.

-The Great Salamini
ymumagic
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of ymumagic
I always ask to be called by my regular name and shun the use of a stage name because of what it connotes.

My performing attitude is that I'm enjoying the show together with the audience, and that I'm one of them. I feel that the use of a stage name would introduce too much of a 'gap' and make me much less relatable to my audience
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
808 Posts

Profile of danaruns
A group of employees at the Magic Castle gave me the name Drunk Dana. I'm sure my mother would be proud.

(P.S. I don't drink.)
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Learning from one of my relatives, I changed my name often. (He used such names as the DeFrancesco Brothers, Our family name "Bouton" but he used the French Spelling "Boughton", and Fredrick the Great. None really worked for him. He finally settled on Blackstone and managed to make a buck or two.
In my case it was the necessity of changing my name after every show so I could get another booking. I used a number of names over the years. I used my maternal gradfather's middle name, Omyn, for a good while but got tired of smart alec announcers pronouncing it "Old man". When I was ordained a Greek Orthodox priest, the bishop ordained me with my chrismation name of Photius and I became Fr. Photius both in magic and IRL.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I think you can use your own name or a stage name. I think it just needs to flow for you and fit your character. My stage name is Doc Johnson.

KJ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How you got your magic name (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL