The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » T. Nelson Downs-Three Matches (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SShawUK
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of SShawUK
I have been recently re-watching the Vernon Revelations series and would love to know more about T. Nelson Downs. The Professor relates a story whereby Tommy Downs (as Dai calls him) held a full circus crowd riveted, amidst a full Ringling Brothers performance, with just three matches. My mind has been racing, trying to understand what one could possibly do with just three matches whilst under a spotlight that could entertain so many people.

I'd love to know more; anyone?

All the best,
Steve
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

www.magicblog.org
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
The T. Nelson Downs books are out of copyright and available free at google books and/or the Library of Congress. Go to google books, e books, and type in his name. Same with LoC search.
or you cam pm me with your email address and I'll send them to you

I looked and did not see a three match trick in the Art of Magic book. Don't think it would be in his coin book.
SShawUK
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of SShawUK
Thanks Spartacus, I rarely remember about Google Books. What a fantastic resource! I worry that this may have just been an urban legend, or lost to history as something never recorded. As I said above, it was really just a passing comment made by The Professor.
Saying that, I shall continue to investigate, as the appeal of playing to a massive crowd with something so small really interests me greatly.
Warmest Wishes,
Steve
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

www.magicblog.org
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26991 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Did you hear about Emil Jarrow and the dime?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1637 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
The match trick is written up in one of the Vernon books. Pretty effective at the right time.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26991 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2012-04-14 20:09, bdekolta wrote:
The match trick is written up in one of the Vernon books. Pretty effective at the right time.

Select, Matchless Digits.

http://archive.denisbehr.de/show.php?book=254
...to all the coins I've dropped here
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
Bobo also mentions him entertaining with a few pennies. Though Vernon complained he never "got" the finer points of sleight of hand, he was, it seems, quite an entertainer.
SShawUK
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of SShawUK
Amazing! I can't thank you chaps enough for pointing me toward this resource. I have been searching for a helluva long time!
Best Wishes,
Steve

www.magicblog.org
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » T. Nelson Downs-Three Matches (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL