The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Cold Reading under a NON psychic guise (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Philliparthur360
View Profile
New user
Griffin, GA
7 Posts

Profile of Philliparthur360
Hey Café. (By the way, did you know Café means "brown" in Spanish? I'm sure you did. But anyway...) I'm an avid cold reader. I'm a good cold reader. I freak people out. But I hate playing psychic. Are there any good reasons or ... "reasons" ... to use cold reading? You know, as a non-psychic? You guys are great! Keep magic alive. Smile
With all due respect,
Phillip Arthur Simmons
Philliparthur360
View Profile
New user
Griffin, GA
7 Posts

Profile of Philliparthur360
Brown... Café... Brown... Derren Brown... Derren Café... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! I crack myself up! Smile
With all due respect,
Phillip Arthur Simmons
rickreation
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of rickreation
I have the exact answer you're looking for, but it requires a total shift in motivation.

If you wish to freak people out, you are welcome to and this won't work for you. But if you are willing to take the higher path of "not wow-ing them, but touching them," or in other words giving people the experience of magic and wonder verses the experience of just blowing their minds with how amazing you are, then the answer lies in "invisible Readings" by Enrique Enriquez. In fact, just get the entire Invisible Series; I think it's $90 as a bundle at mevproshop.com and, well, one of the greatest favors you can to for yourself as a mentalist.
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2016 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Some mentalists hate to hear this, but the set of skills we know as "cold reading" is not, and never has been, the exclusive domain of mentalists and/or psychics. It is routinely used (though with a variety of different terminology) by salespeople, law enforcement personnel, therapists, journalists, corporate executives, performers of all stripes, teachers, lawyers, would-be suitors, fictional doctors (see: Greg House), fictional serial killers (see: Hannibal Lecter), and basically anyone else in a position where knowing more about someone than is immediately obvious would be beneficial. In fact I think it's safe to say that everyone does it, though not necessarily consciously, often or well. So if you don't want to be a psychic, just be a guy who's good at figuring people out.
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18105 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Never use cold-reading to be seen as the guy who "freaks people out"...

wrong motivation to use it...please be very careful with it...
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Agreed with Quinn. Good luck!

Regards,
Mike
CarlZen
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of CarlZen
I think you should not do cold reading period .
rickreation
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of rickreation
I also agree. Kind of uncomfortable.
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2566 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
'You can tell a lot about people, by what they're like' - harry hill
cpbartak
View Profile
Special user
Mooresville, NC
941 Posts

Profile of cpbartak
I think you'd benefit by reading invisible readings by enrique enriquez
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2566 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Why don't you just say you're using cold reading. If you're that good it would still be impressive.
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1759 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Erm Café means Coffee in Spanish so far as I know and has nothing to do with brown other than coffee being brown.
Joshua J
View Profile
Special user
665 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
Maybe look into something like Luke Jermay's emotional intelligence for an effect based around cold reading, but not making psychic claims.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11558 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2012-03-24 05:52, IAIN wrote:
Never use cold-reading to be seen as the guy who "freaks people out"...

wrong motivation to use it...please be very careful with it...

Not sure that would be most people's intention rather a response on the forum here.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Just wondering. Why is this thread in the reviews forum?
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
11558 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2012-03-25 13:16, bevbevvybev wrote:
Why don't you just say you're using cold reading. If you're that good it would still be impressive.

Cause they're chicken in case it doesn't go well. Why not commit to what you're doing then perhaps it WILL go well. It'll have to for your sake.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
11558 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2012-03-25 23:53, mastermindreader wrote:
Just wondering. Why is this thread in the reviews forum?

I don't think this forum ever is used for it's expressed purpose. The name is indicative of the forum's slated use.

J
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Cold Reading under a NON psychic guise (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL