The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Magic Sunglasses - Joke (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MuscleMagic
View Profile
Special user
794 Posts

Profile of MuscleMagic
I'm sure many here can use this joke

A magician looking for a new trick went to a newly opened magic shop. The clerk handed him an ordinary-looking pair of glasses and said, "Only $1,000."

The magician was shocked. "A thousand bucks for a pair of glasses?"
"Try 'em on; they're special glasses."

He tried them on and suddenly the clerk was naked. So were the female shoppers! He removed the glasses and everyone was clothed. "Sold!", he said.

Riding the bus home, he put the glasses on again. The bus driver was naked and all the passengers were naked! He took them off and everyone was clothed again.

When he got home, he put his new glasses on before opening the front door. When he entered the living room, there on the sofa were his wife and his best friend, naked! He took the glasses off, but they were still naked.

"***!" he said. "A thousand bucks for a magic trick and in 30 minutes it's already broken!"
sevenup
View Profile
Regular user
South Carolina
177 Posts

Profile of sevenup
LOL, great joke.
Pick a card, any card at all. Just don't pick a RED spade.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7031 Posts

Profile of bowers
I liked that musclemagic.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
It's a good gag. I like.the squizzy logic of it.

It raises an interesting question, too. Is a joke about magic good for a magic act? I often find the best gags are either not about magic at all, or simply in reference to something I have just done. One of my bugbears about the gagtag thread was it was started to promote creativity and get people joke writing but as soon as everyone started theming it to magic the jokes became self-referential and no good for an act.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2599 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Just as a intro to my post I want to say that I'm not suggesting that the original poster had anything more in mind than just posting a gag for other here to enjoy...

But following on from what George said;

The problem with gags about magic for inclusion in an actual show or performance is that they of course have to be accessible to a lay audience's frame of reference. With regard to magic; that's typically going to be a very narrow frame of reference. It usually doesn't extend much beyond; sawing a person in half, making objects disappear and a card trick that involves finding a card after a lot of dealing.

It could be argued that the gag that opens this thread actually works better (in that it has more appeal and requires less understanding of magicians, the tricks they buy and their attitude towards them in order to 'get it') if the glasses in the joke are simply magic glasses (as in supernaturally magical) rather than a magic trick. This, not surprisingly, is the way the I've heard this gag told in the past.

Of course as a gag for magicians looking to entertain magicians it works as it's been posted. But for a non magician audience I agree with George that with regard to the scripting of comedy material, what usually works best is where the comedy is constructed around and relates to, what you are doing, have done or are about to do. This is likely to have more resonance with an audience than using their preconceptions and understanding of what magic is, or involves.

All this from a sunglasses joke...
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
RJE2
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of RJE2
Of course, everyone can adapt a joke to suit their biases.

Change the character in this joke from a magician to a guy walking down the street when he hear's,

"Psst. Hey buddy. Wanna buy a pair of amazing glasses?"

"What's so amazing about them?"

"Try them on and see for yourself."

The guy does and when he looks around he sees everyone is naked! "This is great," he says. "How much?"

"Five hundred bucks," the man replies.

"I'll take them."......

Now the joke is not about a magician no mo...... Smile

And, you can always insert a joke about anything in an act if you choose. Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Magic Sunglasses - Joke (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL