The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Get a free copy of the 2012 US Magician Salary Survey (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
amakar
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of amakar
Hi Guys -

In the corporate world, websites like glassdoor.com or monster.com provide salary ranges by profession and location.
For our magic market, there isn't an index or any market research that indicates the average rate for specific magic markets.
My goal is to fix that and provide a resource for magicians.

I put together a short survey that we can use to create a market report for rates across our market segments.
Now before everyone starts worrying about a local competitor stealing their pricing strategy, let me assure you the survey is anonymous.
All responses will be aggregated and summarized.

However, if you wish to receive a copy of the survey results, please enter your email address in the survey.

In the spirit of magicians helping magicians, I think this will be a valuable report.

Please take the survey at:

http://www.coinmagictricksblog.com/salarysurvey

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Andy
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Wow, I'd like to see the results on that survey.

From what I can tell there is a difference on booking fees depending on what you do, how you do it and where you live/perform. You can go to gigmasters and see what some performers charge. I see guys in my markets charging 50% less for the same type show and I see a few with quality stage acts charging more.

Magicians (and people in general) tend to either go a little higher when saying what they earn to look better or a bit lower to throw off the market or not let on to how successful they are.

If I recall statistics and probability taught me you need about 10,000 pieces of data to even things out (other might correct be here)

Posted: Mar 29, 2012 6:12pm
Also my rates change by the season, my fees in May are different than October and December due to market demand. Are ranges allowed in the survey? My fees my change for the same show due to travel. A corporate show in DC close to where I live is a different fee than if I am traveling to say Atlantic City
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
amakar
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of amakar
Hi

Thanks for the feedback.
The responses are open text field so feel free to add ranges.

Thanks

Andy
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Also it depends on what is going into the show, I can perform a corporate show without large illusions and that is one fee structure. Add Houdini's Metamorphosis or having the CEO appear and the fee structure changes.

Posted: Mar 29, 2012 6:21pm
Amakar
I did, thanks for letting everyone know. I am very interested in seeing the results.
Illusions By Vick
amakar
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of amakar
The survey is getting some good responses!

I appreciate everyone's contributions! Please pass the word to you fellow magicians.

I'll keep the survey open for a few weeks and then assemble the data for the contributors to review.

Thanks!

Andy
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1960 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Just filled out the survey. I will look forward to the results. Thanks for setting this up. I think the point Vick made about there being so many variables will somewhat confound the results, but it is a very good starting point. I also think there are similiar issues in providing income levels with any profession, as there too there would be variables unexplained. Good luck with the project.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
You've got to be kidding.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
What benefit would such a survey provide myself or any one individual? I'm pretty sure that this wouldn't give reason to make any changes. Just a curiosity perhaps?

I'm having difficulty understanding. Some people charge $100, others $20,000. Just because the average is $900 (for example), doesn't mean much. Does it?

If you are a salaried worker, then perhaps you will use the info to ask for a raise or decide to move elsewhere. But for independent business people where we create our own level of value?
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2485 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Agreed with Scott! and what I make is my own business. magicians are notorious for trying to find out what others are charging to compare themselves.

what I charge is for me to know and that's it in my opinion.

just my feelings

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Scott,
You have a great point about we set out own prices and value

For me it's curiosity, I've never done restaurant work so I'm curious what the pay range is (I've heard a very wide range, from free food to $350 per hour and honestly am not sure what to beleive ).

If a thousand+ performers were to fill the survey out then the data might be somewhat valid, even with all the variances.

Would it change my fee structure ... no. Could I base anything on it .. no
Illusions By Vick
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13370 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
That's $700 for a 2 hr gig at a restaurant.

Let's say the restaurant has a 10% entertainment budget (does any restaurant have a budget that large for magic?).
That would mean that the restaurant is making $3500 an hour.
At $10 a plate, that's 350 plates per hour. 35 new plates every 6 minutes. Dude must be working a stadium size restaurant. Cooks going nuts.
At $20 a plate, that's 175 diners per hour. 17 plates in 6 minutes. Dude must be working a huge buffet line.
At $50 a plate, that's 70 diners per hour. Every 6 minutes a new group of 7 walks in the door. Seems unlikely at $50 per plate.
At $100a plate, that's 35 diners per hour required. A lovely couple comes in for a fancy dinner every 2 minutes. Doubt it.

I'm no expert but this all seems a bit unlikely as a routine gig.

$350 an hr. at a restaurant? More likely a grand opening or some celebration.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
amakar
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of amakar
All good feedback guys!

Keep it coming and for those who don't want to participate, that's cool...I understand.

From a business perspective, its important to understand your market and what tolearnaces the market will bear.
I work in the corporate world 5 days a week and the other two days are focused on entertaining in a completely different market.

For a specific education background and job experience, I can tell you a range of salaries for specific positions.
Human Resources does this all the time and they license market data from other HR consulting firms to ensure pricing is in line with market averages.

This is also why the survey is anonymous and you could always submit your responses with a generic email.

As you explore other markets, you might adjust your pricing or it opens new potential markets to pursue.

I also come from an academic background and conducting research for disseartations and academic papers is always key to understanding business performance.

I appreciate all the feedback and for those who don't want to participate, I appreciate your perspective as well.

Andy
MrHyde
View Profile
Special user
810 Posts

Profile of MrHyde
Andy, I would be interested in getting the results of this, but not living in the USA will not put my pricing in.

Hope you will send it to me anyway.

TH
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
I see our "jobs" as being more of a product rather than a position to be studied from an HR perspective.

I equate this to trying to survey the prices of new cars: some cars sell for $20,000, others $45,000, others $75,000, and some can go for $200,000 or more. We study all the prices and come up with some sort of average car price per area or market or however. What does this tell us?

In the end, the conclusion is this: you must pick your market (and it's corresponding financial capabilities) and build a product to appeal to that market. This is a business decision rather than an "industry norm" type of situation.

Cadillac was created for one market segment. Chevy for another. Do you really think there is much difference between the 2 in real product terms? No, each is a distinct business/marketing model to grab money for it's respective target market.

You choose: what is your business model? You can make a ton of money by picking any one market segment and giving them want they want.

Tolerances? Again, if you build enough value into your offering, you can change how you are perceived and it no longer matters what tolerances for other service providers may be subject to.

I come from a business education myself and love studying stuff. However, I've also realised that, as entrepreneurs, we can create the rules as we go along.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20040 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am with Al on this one also.

Does it account for the hogwash guys are going to lie about making? Without a requirement to send in a tax return as proof this is going to end up being useless.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
This is a fantastic idea and when I was first starting out as
a business, I've spent countless hours looking for similar
information.

However, after looking at your survey, I was little confused
as to exactly what information you were looking for. At first,
I was thinking of a statistic of earnings per year by geographic
location. But it looks like you are looking to find what others
are charging for their shows. Also, in having open plain text
input lends to think that you are manually tabulating this data.
This leads to error prone calculation and analysis. Then your
last question really threw me off as to the validity of the
whole premise of this survey. Having to have to put your email
on the same page as the survey is not completely anonymous,
is it?

Yet, I am very much interested in your results and how your achieved
your results. I have also posted what I thought was correct
for what I do.

I hope it is not bad form, but I also put one together just out
of interest and curiosity for a different data set.

Feel free to chime in Click Here for Survey

Since this is completely anonymous, I will share the results in this thread.
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
amakar
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of amakar
Howdy -

This is a qualitative survey...not a quantitative survey
Since some markets are per week or per day I left it open for responses.

The collection of the email is purely to distribute the survey to the participants.

Magicians are a funny bunch...some are afraid of competition and theft of ideas while others forms masterminds to help each other grow.

The points of the survey is to create a resource that can be shared.

I'll take a look at your survey as well!

Thanks

Andy
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
I updated to remove the race (used a template) and replaced with genres:

Click Here For Survey

Thanks for you response Andy. Just showing what I initially expected
and also interested in the result that it would achieve (if any).
No offense intended, just giving you what one might perceive in taking your
survey; as you asked for input.

I am also all for Master Minding, which is why I posted the usage of
SurveyMonkey for the survey and provided an example of what I thought
would also be useful. In hopes, like you, to provide as a resource.
Plus, just leveraging off a great idea which you have posted.

Can't wait for your results.

Cheers
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
amakar
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of amakar
The responses keep coming in...Thanks to everyone who has contributed!

I'll be closing the survey by the 15th and I'll compile the results.

Thanks!

Andy

http://www.coinmagictricksblog.com/salarysurvey
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Andy
ALL magicians lie.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Get a free copy of the 2012 US Magician Salary Survey (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL