The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Performing a new trick - when? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ditti80
View Profile
New user
New York - Long Island
46 Posts

Profile of ditti80
Hello,

I just wanted to get some input on when others feel they are ready to perform a new trick. After learning a new trick, when does one show it to someone for the first time? What do you use as indicators to gauge your readiness? I used to get really excited about a new trick, learn it, and show it to someone after very little practice. The trick went well but now that I look back, it could have gone so much better.

Now, I take much more time in practicing. For example, right now I'm working on reset. I must have done it 100 times already in front of my mirror but I'm still not 100% confident. Is everyone 100% confident before perfoming a new trick or is there always some doubt?

Thanks.
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
Yes, I'm always 100% confident with my new tricks before I add the new materials in my routines.

Especially if you're working in front of people all the time. That gives me a lot of practice.
cmwalden
View Profile
Regular user
Cedar Park, TX
150 Posts

Profile of cmwalden
I think it is a rare performer who is 100% confident when performing something new. You can never plan for everything and something that works well in writing and practice may not flow exactly the way you expected when you add the last actors, the audience. But the more you know yourself and your capabilities the more confident you'll become about performing new things.

That said, there is no excuse for taking something out that you cannot execute smoothly. You should be able to perform without pausing or fumbling and all of the slights should be done on purpose. For something that uses techniques you are already comfortable with, you may be comfortable with less practice. If the effect incorporates new and difficult techniques, 100 times might be a good warm-up.

The fact that you're even thinking this way is a good sign. Practice until you're strong with the moves. Then rehearsing with a video camera can let you see it from the other point of view. Make it fit the picture in your head, then do it for a trusted audience who will give you honest feedback.

After that, I think you'll be as ready as you'll ever be.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

- William Shakespeare
Leon of PrimRose
View Profile
New user
mayfield, new york
69 Posts

Profile of Leon of PrimRose
Be sure that you've got the trick down just right before you perform it. I agree with cmwalden that you can never be 100% sure of something just make sure you can do the trick easy. Smile
Being forgotten is worse than death

There was never anything but life...life and death...Good...Evil...It all depends on how you look at life... and death. The strong, the weak. It's all just a concept.

Believe the unbe
rvigon
View Profile
Loyal user
uk
266 Posts

Profile of rvigon
I think if you have done loads of practice your lack of confidence comes from the fact you don't know if the specks will like it or not. That's something that can only be found out by performing so my advise to you is only perform something when it feels right. You should know what I mean by that because it is the feeling you get but you don't know why, you just know what you have been doing works.
"No brilliance is required in magic, just determination and relatively clean fingernails."
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
I practice in front of a mirror a lot and my family. They (family) tell me what I do wrong and give me some tips on angles and all that other good stuff.
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
I never feel 100% sure about a trick the first time out. But I just rely on the practice I have given to it and let it roll. I find that the time in front of the mirror just takes over and most of nervousness is washed away.

Also, I'm fortunate to have a couple of fellow magi in my town (I'm actually in a suburb of Chicago). One is a little under my level and the other is a seasoned pro. They're great to try something new on. If I pull off the new effect well, the newbie goes crazy. But when I do a new trick for the pro, he'll honestly tell me how it looked. Sometimes it's smooth and other times, it's back to the mirror! This is helpful when I think I've "invented" a trick. The pro will go, "Yeah, that looks great. Just like Ammar did it when he came up with it!"

That helps keep me in my place!

Find a couple of confidants to try things out on. Preferably someone who is mildly familiar with magic or at least someone you can trust to give it to you straight. It's humbling, but helpful!

Mucho luck!

Smile
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Erick Elektrik
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Erick Elektrik
The thing with the family is to get a real opinion. Maybe they don't want to hurt you. Be sure to do it with someone who will be honest with you. What I suggest is to show it to another magician to get a real answer. Smile
magical65stang
View Profile
New user
Turlock, CA
73 Posts

Profile of magical65stang
I agree that you usually are not 100% sure when you perform a trick for the first time. I have found that when you perform the effect for the first few times to strangers it helps to mold your patter. They give you lines without knowing it or for me something just pops in my head and I implement it. My family helps me out so much to know what I am doing right or really wrong. Use them because you don't want a spectator to tell you that you palmed a coin through the entire routine. Once your moves are confident make sure your patter is just as good.
"I'm not a liar, you just don't see the truth."
kid iowa
View Profile
Loyal user
Oklahoma
300 Posts

Profile of kid iowa
My bit of advice is to have someone who knows you and will be totally honest with you review every trick that you do before you go public with it. My long suffering wife patiently watches every trick that I do, and will GLADLY tell me when I flub something. She knows my tells and personality like the back of her hand and can tell instantly when I am forcing something that is not in my character or am stumbling over something that is not quite smooth enough. Try and find someone like that, not someone who will fluff your ego...that will only hurt in the long run. Get someone honest and has a sincere interest in your magic. The worst is someone who will tell you your magic is great just to get you out of their hair. Best, jim.
Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile...can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." J.F.K.
Dbzkid999
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
407 Posts

Profile of Dbzkid999
Show someone and ask them what they think. Smile
ZachWaldman
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of ZachWaldman
This all brings up an interesting point about practicing.

My buddy Allan Hadyen and I were talking about the different ways you can practice. You can do a sleight over and over again while watching TV. This kind of repetition is great.

However, you also need to turn off the TV, set up a camera, and perform your set. This is rehearsal and is different than just doing the moves. You should speak the lines, take the pauses, and really do a show for the camera.

If you were in a play, you'd be at home just memorizing lines. When you go to rehearsal, you're performing with the other members of the cast.

The point is that both types of practice are important so make time for each.
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
Quote:
On 2003-09-30 08:37, djvirtualreality wrote:
I practice in front of a mirror a lot and my family. They (family) tell me what I do wrong and give me some tips on angles and all that other good stuff.

I do exactly the same thing. Where do you practice a new trick? As far away from laymen and regular specs as possible!!! Mirrors are the best as well as at your local magic club, other magi's, and family members you can trust (I say this because I know some people, like my sister, can not be trusted if I mess up!) Smile

My mom and dad have been my pigeons for years. Try it.

Evan
ditti80
View Profile
New user
New York - Long Island
46 Posts

Profile of ditti80
I used to show my girlfriend first but right after I'm done it's either: I know how you did that or you're freaking me out. But like everyone else it's my family first. If I don't get a good reaction from them, I usually think twice about keeping it in my list of tricks to keep.

There's only a certain point where practicing solo will take you. The real test is front of people. From there you can probably tell what needs work, in my case, it's usually patter.

Thanks.

Smile
Shawn74
View Profile
Loyal user
New Mexico
211 Posts

Profile of Shawn74
Wow! What a great thread.

This is something near to me as I have an undying amount of performance anxiety. I hope this post is helpful if for nothing else than to let you know that there are others out there just like you that feel the same way you do in not knowing if they are ready to perform a trick.

I was practicing two or three tricks for about two years when a guy I worked with finally said, "Enough, the only way to get it right at this point is to show someone." He then made me perform for everyone we came into contact with that day. A little harsh but the message that he meant to convey was that practice is of the utmost importance, but there comes a time when you need to take a deep breath and just start doing it.

For the most part I still never get past the practice stage. Just trust in yourself as much as possible and know that though you can never anticipate everything a spectator may say or do, you will be able to handle it.

Sorry this is so long, but I hope there are some helpful words of advise here. Keep us updated.

Thank You and Good Luck
Shawn
Hold your breath...make a wish...count to 3... and you'll be in a world of pure imagination
Willy Wonka
David Fletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of David Fletcher
Stage fright is a natural part of the performance process. As soon as I get on the stage or say hello to the first person doing walk around, the butterflies disappear—as soon as I am doing and no longer thinking about what I will be doing.

To wait and think about what we will be doing and what the result will be is called projection. Projection is always negative. Planning is positive, projection negative.

Just do it. Nothing is the end of the world.
You have to give it away to keep it.
virtualwizard
View Profile
Regular user
Bailey Island, Maine
167 Posts

Profile of virtualwizard
Personally, I practice until I think I can pull off the effect, then I take it to my wife. She is pretty honest with me.

Family can be very helpful.
Mike the Magician
placebo
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of placebo
That's true; the people you know best will normally be your biggest critics.
oldguy
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of oldguy
Ideally I'd practice until I didn't have to think about motor skills. But who has time for that. I'm lucky, my wife will say either "that looks pretty good", or "I think you need to practice some more."
Of course, I know beforehand, I'm just hoping. Tom
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
Whenever I feel that I have a trick pretty well down, I tape myself and then watch the tape. I do this so that I can watch not only my hands and props but you can also watch your eyes and body language. This is something that is incredibly important, and you can't see all of this stuff while you are practicing in front of a mirror, which is what I use to perfect the actual handling.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Performing a new trick - when? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL