The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Dyeing Center of Silk (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Heres Tony
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando
259 Posts

Profile of Heres Tony
Looking for information on dyeing a portion of the center of a silk so that when a knot is tied in the center, the knot will be a different color. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Search on the Internet for Tie Dying silks. Check out this form as well for dying silk.

You can contact Richard Hughes for a professional job, or go to your local hobby store and buy the markers for cloth material.

I am assuming from your comments you only want a dot in the center. If you mean a strip across the diagonal corners to tie a know using 2 ends to form a knot in the center, then the markers would be the simplest method.

As I try to interpret what you are trying to say, it gets more complicated. Much of this also depends on the color silks you are wanting to use. Remember, mixing colors creates new colors.

Well, I give up, because it is too difficult to know what you are asking, as this incomplete question has too many questions to answer properly.
Heres Tony
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando
259 Posts

Profile of Heres Tony
Thanks for the information. Cloth markers may do the trick. I want to have a knot tied in the middle of the silk that is a different color than the rest of the silk. I believe that a strip running across the corners may work.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
There are different ways that can be accomplished. If you twirl the silk 1st, then 2 corners only need be colored, but if you do not twirl the silk, then the whole middle strip may have to be colored.

I think you should experiment with the knotting before coloring the silk, understanding the properties of how the silk will knot will be of major concern.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
If you want a crisp line around the opposing color, you will have to use a resist. If can use a less defined line, you may be able to tie it and do it like a tie dye. You will get a blending of the two colors and have to be careful of the dye spreading too fast.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Jacquard brand fabric paint is ideal for this. It is an intense color and doesn't 'bleed' much, and can be 'set' with a iron.

Marking off the area to be colored can be done with resist or as I have done...with masking tape only.

Paint it on using a brush and the color will saturate well. Avoid using too much of the paint, let the brush do the work.

Jacquard brand fabric paints are designed to not stiffen the fabric and allow for an even color , which is probably better than markers.

Regards
JNeal
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Tony, I don't know what color you need, or how large the color spot will need to be so this may not work, but here goes: I needed to color in some white areas in one of my printed silks. I tested Sharpie markers, and another brand of permanent marker on an old silk. They 'bled' badly and I was afraid to use them on the silk. I decided to try a highlight marker, and it worked better for me. It did not 'bleed' as profoundly, and I could easily keep it within the outlines that were already printed on the silk. The color is even and rich, and it has held up nicely for 4-5 years now. I do not remember the brand of highlight marker I used. It was a yellow one, so I can't say if other colors or brands of highlighter will react the same way on silk, but if you can find a suitable color for your project it may be worth a try.

Regan
Mister Mystery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Dyeing Center of Silk (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL