The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » "Laying It On The Line" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Have you ever noticed how folks are more than willing to pay good money to be frightened?
Millions of folks visit amusement parks each year. Guess where you will find the longest lines?
The Rollercoaster! The rollercoaster is a ride which tries to convince you,
that your next moment may very well be your last.

Onstage I perform several acts that feature an element of danger.
Quite ironically, When I left the stage for the streets, I left the danger behind for more safer ground it seems.
I've started to rethink this recently, as I've returned to the stage after a few years absence.

I would ask you to consider if you are really "Laying it on the line" for your groups with your magia'?
Manifest King Kong, his lady in distress awaits! Which role are you playing and which role are your
guests playing? Saviour or the desperate lady in distress. A glorified panhandler, is that you?

In street theatre we have fire breathers, sword swallowers, and chainsaw jugglers to name of few of the
folks who are laying it on the line for their groups. Folks who have some very compelling shows because,
they are letting it all hang out, for their groups.

No, balloon swallowers cannot count themselves in this group....I'm going to be quite candid and tell
you that I absolutely find this act quite offensive and distasteful. You should hear the comments,
that I get to hear from folks approaching my area after they've just left someone who is doing this...
mostly questions about manhood etc. It's strictly my opinion please don't hate, but here's a news flash,

It's not magic and they are laughing at you, not with you!

Have you ever had a "close call" with serious injury or death by your involvement in an auto
accident. You were probably more alert and alive after your narrow escape with death.

In Hebrew the word for fear is Yira which means to percieve or see.
Perhaps if you would for a moment consider, that we as performers of magic have chosen
to see things in the world for what they really are, by embracing danger and creating
some true moments of astonishment, after having done so.

My friends far too often folks in the worlde have come face to face with utter despair
in the course of daily life. Surely history would pardon us if we succumbed to lethargy in the face
of this relentless confrontation.

We as performers not only recognize those fears and daily struggles with finances and law enforcement,
as to our street theatre. You will note evidence by some recent posts here in the Sidewalk Forum.

We as magicians have responded with optimism and hope even where there seemed none.
With our courage and magia' we have left in our wake, Sheer Joy and new found belief
that all things may not be so gloom and doom after all. Magicians deal in deceit, but we
surely are also the gatekeepers of truth and light, for all that is in direct opposition.

You can read or see some horrific acts of violence and betrayal in our streets and
in the worlde around. Our groups long for a more humane worlde.

Give it to them by laying it on the line and then bringing it home with a knockout thriller!
Rescue that lady in distress, that is our sometimes cynical groups.

Magicians not only long for a more humane worlde, we believe in it by performing on a daily basis, whether
in the streets or onstage. Brief moments of astonishment, we so willingly share in hopes of minor recompense.
That is we, for we embrace fear and mock it!

Here is to Yira
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
The closest I get to "danger" is the Shang-hi Shackle. The audience seems to like it.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I have used different routines in my stages shows in the past with a very real element of danger and have had my fair share of close-enough calls. Every one of them was a learning experience for me, a teachable moment for some and enlightening for all. I considered them fun in a personal (read: self) challenge sort of way. Regardless of how terrified you become (or not) with a near-death experience or any type of close-call, you are always more alert and alive after the fact, but not always wiser...

Well said Hermano Devious!
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1539 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
A true synopsis of human psychology and excellent metaphorical wisdom here.

Spot on, brother. Spot on.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Mormo Zine
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of Mormo Zine
This makes me think because I am reluctant to do Siberian Chain because it causes me to be uncomfortable.
Ours the magic, Ours the power!

See Mormo's Guide To Psychic Self Defense by clicking here.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Yeah, but you should see how impressed they are with the marks of the chain on your wrist!
Ain't life unkind?"
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Ed is correct Mormo, but you never know unless you try it.

The best way to overcome that apprehension is to just try it out once. Then try it again. Find out what it is that makes it uncomfortable for you and change that part of it, or remove it. Trust your own instincts and just go for it!
Mormo Zine
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of Mormo Zine
I did the trick many times through the Halloween season. I have good patter for it and people seem to like it. I may use it again someday.
Ours the magic, Ours the power!

See Mormo's Guide To Psychic Self Defense by clicking here.
Nala Nosmoht
View Profile
Special user
Surrey,B.C. Canada,
642 Posts

Profile of Nala Nosmoht
I have performed the "Razor Blade Illusion" for many years, I saw it in the Orient. Do it without a switch, real blades, in over 20 years only one incident. (it only takes one!)
Happend on Halloween night in a filled theatre. (Houdini died on halloween, that was in the back of my mind when it happend) other then a sore throat, and a bruised ego, all ended well.

Now I do it very rarely, but only because who uses razor blades these days? Good ones hard to find, and many young adults don't even recognize them.

I haven't thought of doing it in my busking, which I am now doing. Not a kids effect. I may just try it.
Eric the Excellent
View Profile
Loyal user
Montana
234 Posts

Profile of Eric the Excellent
Not much to add, rather than I agree 100% with you, Devious.

Laying on the line is not just for the audience's amusement; it is for me, too.

Here's to Yira! (I may work something about that in to my bed of nails routine, actually...)
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Devious, great food for thought. Thanks for sharing!
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
OK...but don't do the roulette/hand spike thingy trick until you've watched every knucklehead on Youtube fail at it. Just sayin'

I have juggled fire and knives perched upon a ladder (and my custom made tray jack), have had duct taped ripped off my head more times than I care to remember, eaten fire, and had darts thown at me by kids in the audience (as part of the show...of course). All I can tell ya is that the crowd LOVES THAT $H!7. And they pay well to see it too!

FTW, go crazy, just make sure your show is sustainable/repeatable. ie. measure your risk/outcome ratio.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Thanks so much for providing your own input and opinions on this interesting topic of discussion.
Harry Murphy is someone who is out there laying it on the line. Ask him about his jawbone incident someday.
He is one tough hombre!
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2012-04-02 13:53, Dr_J_Ayala wrote:
Ed is correct Mormo, but you never know unless you try it.

The best way to overcome that apprehension is to just try it out once. Then try it again. Find out what it is that makes it uncomfortable for you and change that part of it, or remove it. Trust your own instincts and just go for it!

I've long since lost my Siberian Chain Escape (purchased at the magic shop in Fantasyland in Disneyworld.) but at one time I used to end the show with a Coat Escape embellished with the chain escape. The Coat Escape is in Mark Wilson's book. It's pretty much the same idea as the Shanghi Shackle, but without the tube. Oddly enough, I thought I had invented the idea. I saw the same idea in George B. Anderson's "Magic Digest" with the coat on a hanger. I thought it would look much more impressive if someone was wearing the coat. This was somewhere around '76 - '80 when I performed in Central Park a couple of times.
Ain't life unkind?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » "Laying It On The Line" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL