The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Fantasma's Buddha Chop Cup Is Back (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Quote:
Brian. How can you not view Buddhism as a religion? That statement confused me.

I personally don't view Buddhism as a religion Kent, but that's just me and I am sure that others will disagree. I would rather not get into deep and meaningful discussions regarding religion or belief systems as everybody feels differently... and we all have a perfectly valid right to.

Ajahn brahm could probably explain it a lot better than I ever could here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIeLuMX-2p8 if anyone is that interested.

I lean toward the theravada thai forrest tradition so I particularly enjoy hearing Ajahn Brahmn's talks.

Bri
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
Why the long faces? There is a group you can still stereotype and nobody cares. If you want to tell a joke about them you don't need to look around to see who is within earshot.

It is rednecks.

Think of the possibilities...redneck chop cup...redneck linking rings....redneck-a-chink. OK...only 50% of that last one.

Take all your politically incorrect magic and stories and make them all redneck themed. If you don't know how a redneck behaves just google Texas news stories...you'll have it in no time.
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
Redneck Neighbor uses a chainsaw every few weeks to cut his grass, and it's only 4inches tall...seriously.
Dudes gets all hopped up on beer, turns his non drivable tractor on just to hear the engine run, this guy is weird.

Buddha...

I was born in Japan, lived there for quite awhile.
Buddha is the Laughing God, you rub his fat belly for good luck.
There are many Buddha's not just one.
You Yourself can become a Buddha.
But always in old tradition Buddha has been and is the Laughing God.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
So I don't call it a "Chink Cup" ???
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
It would be a "redneck cup"...yea, that does sound a little scary.
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of rklew64
All this because of a magic prop -...So now we need to have in place an Ethics Oversight Committee for Magic.
I thought Buddhism is a philosophy.
Oh well, I have the Buddha chop cup and will survey for it's offensive factor - I can't recall anyone being truly upset off . Let's put it this way, I actually have 3 friends who work at a temple in Chinatown. Did they get ****ed - NO. and then we went into discussion about Buddha in general and had an awesome lunch in some hole in the wall restaurant. It's the context of it all. It's used in a light hearted fashion - not related to some live goat sacrifice - Cmon. Interjecting theology I think is too much overreach given the specific item in question. No one cried foul when several were looking for one of these puppies last year on this forum.
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
Actually, the classic Buddha and a redneck look a lot alike.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5307 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Whew! The "Buddha" being used is not THE Buddha.

It is Hotei (Japan) or Pu-Tai (China) and known as the Laughing or Happy Buddha. It is almost like a Santa Claus/St. Nichalos character (Pu-Tai carried a sack and gave candy to children). He is believed to be based on a real character, wandering Zen monk.

His statue is often in many forms/poses (safe travel, posterity, happy home, love, long life, and spiritual journey). The statue that comes with the Chop Cup looks like the one representing posterity. These are sold all over the place at tokens and nicknacks. They have little religious meaning.

The common use is to rub the Happy Buddha's belly for luck.

Getting upset over Hotei's use in a game/trick is like getting upset over using Santa Claus in a trick. Frankly getting upset over using the statue (even a statue of THE Buddha) is very un-Buddha like.

It is showing a great deal of respect to bring joy, amusement, and laughter using Hotei's icon. Hotei would approve.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
scottjenkins
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of scottjenkins
If your final load is a singing Billy Bass, you might have a redneck cup.
Scott Jenkins
Magician Member of the AMA
Joe Porper's partner!
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Thank you for the enlightenment and changing the discussion in a positive correct direction.
scottjenkins
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of scottjenkins
Smile
Scott Jenkins
Joe Porper's partner!
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
If your cup sits on cinder blocks in your front yard...you may have a redneck cup.
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Back to the original message....if I may....what's the verdict on the Fantasma chop cup set.....from a strictly magical point of view?
Joe Kispokis
View Profile
Regular user
Davenport, Iowa
101 Posts

Profile of Joe Kispokis
If the final load were Jesus would it be the 6'4" Norwegian Jesus (the one that hangs in the lobby of my church) or would it be the shorter, hairier Jewish Jesus?
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2012-04-02 20:35, fortasse wrote:
Back to the original message....if I may....what's the verdict on the Fantasma chop cup set.....from a strictly magical point of view?

If I were to perform the David Roth routine as he demoed, what's the point of the Buddha? Seems strangely out of place to me.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
scottjenkins
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of scottjenkins
It would really depend on the act. Suzanne the Magician has a great cups and balls routine about travelers that is a magic trick and a spiritual journey at the same time. I would imagine something in this vein would be perfect for a Buddha Chop Cup.
Scott Jenkins
Joe Porper's partner!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2012-04-01 15:30, Mark Ross wrote:
Walt, you forgot the Jap Box. I think I am in Walt's camp on this one, unless my or your research might prove that this would not offend. Just my 2 cents.......

Mark

The Jap box is only offensive if you call it a Jap box when you perform it. Chink a Chink is only offensive if you call it Chink a Chink when you perform it. Both are trade jargon for tricks that have been around for a very long time. The Jap box should be called "the Japanese Handkerchief Box" if you want to get away from the offensive nickname. I NEVER introduce a trick by its trade name, anyway, unless it's a classic gambling routine, such as the shell game or the three card monte.

Your audience won't know it's a Jap box unless you tell them that's what most magicians call it. Why would you do that, anyway?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5718 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I view Buddhism as a philosophy. But, it could be viewed as a religion, depending on your perspective. I view Christianity as a philosphy, mostly because if something becomes sacred, we lose the ability to fully question its tenets. The ability to reject ideas has made me much happier. Follow your own path! Let no one tell you how to think - but consider the benefits and possible consequences.
brian314
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
112 Posts

Profile of brian314
Does anyone have the new one yet? If so, is it the same as the old ones?

Brian
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3313 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On 2012-04-01 17:23, cupsandballsmagic wrote:
I don't care at all for terms such as Chink a chink and Jap box either Fortasse, I agree entirely and I believe they are just plain offensive and prehistoric.

I don't view Buddhism as a religion and as the Buddha is not a god or a diety but a reminder of the things I hold dear and try to live my life by, I'm happy to be reminded of them.

The Chink Can is one thing, but "Chink a Chink" is named for the sound the brass weights make when they collect under the hand, and was used as a magic word to make the weights congregate. It never had anything at all to do with a derogatory reference to the Chinese.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Fantasma's Buddha Chop Cup Is Back (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL