The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Difference between manip card and standard ones (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Nielsen cards are only $5 a deck currently on his site. This is new not powdered deck. The faces are really bright white and large pips compared to ordinary cards.

I believe the main reason for using the special cards are you can produce more without have to obtain more cards more often. Remember, you do not want to throw off so few cards that you tell your audience that something is not right.

If you can only back palm 7 cards I think you need to work on your skill more at this point. You should be able to back palm three quarter of a deck if not a whole deck. Then using the special cards makes it easier, unless you then prefer the ordinary cards.

Are you breaking in the cards as described in Ganson's book? Do you use the Card clamp? Are you practicing every day?

Bill Smile
zaubern
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, Wa
335 Posts

Profile of zaubern
The only time I have had real success with manipulation cards was with split fans. I could be confident with single productions. Although you can use more cards when using manipulation cards, I prefer to use standard Bee brand cards. Also, they are cheaper so I don't mind losing some on stage.
Zaubern Smile
magiczak
View Profile
Regular user
Granada Hills, CA
159 Posts

Profile of magiczak
You can get great deals on cards and other things at the 99 cent stores
**Zak**
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
Cheap cards often don't fan well, as they are not finished the same way as Bicycle brand decks are (air cushioned).
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Yes, cheap cards are just that.. cheap for a reason. They also do not fan well at all and would have to be treated with fanning powder to even get them to fan better.

They also tend to break down faster and not live up to the bending and abuse we often put the cards through. The best advice is to try them out and see what works for you.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
amshake
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of amshake
Quote:
If you can only back palm 7 cards I think you need to work on your skill more at this point. You should be able to back palm three quarter of a deck if not a whole deck. Then using the special cards makes it easier, unless you then prefer the ordinary cards.

I have a hard time getting my brain around the idea of backpalming an entire deck of bikes!!! Is this really possible.. I"m not a BAD back palmer.. but WOW!
Magic Geek
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Backpalming an entire regulation deck is not only nearly impossible but entirely unecessary. The production of what appears to be an endless source of cards is achieved in many ways. Steals and re-loading any hand is an ongoing facet of card manipulation.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Randy is right. There is no need to even try to attempt to backpalm an entire deck or even half of one.

If you work your routine effectively, you should be able to make steals as well as work off the pack to achieve the look of endless productions.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Jhonsky
View Profile
Regular user
Hawaii
112 Posts

Profile of Jhonsky
In one of Jeff McBride's videos, he recommends to just use "modified" bee's. They're pretty much just regular brand new bee's that have been manually made flimsy. The way to do it is: Using the edge of a ruler, strip away the coating of the cards one by one. This is done numerous time to both sides of the cards in different orientations. This will definitely make the cards flimsier, but it will also make the deck thick as stacked. So, after howmuchever cards are done, fanning powder is applied and the cards are pressed with 'cardpresser' or something heavy for a while. After that the cards are ready to use.
I hope this will help. I've never actually done it myself. Smile
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3043 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Funny thing about cards... many years ago, when I did a split fans routine in gloves (sorta kinda along the general lines of Ganson), I tried dozens of different cards, both poker and bridge size. In the end, I settled on poker Bikes, even though my hands are about medium-size. I used three packs of about 25 cards each, and found my fans were far larger than with bridge, and that I had no trouble back-palming them.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2004-03-15 22:25, Jhonsky wrote:
The way to do it is: Using the edge of a ruler, strip away the coating of the cards one by one. This is done numerous time to both sides of the cards in different orientations...

I've heard a similar method using a wooden pencil (the kind with flats). Rolling the card around the pencil gives it tiny creases spaced one pencil side apart. You only do this on the length of the card, not across the short side. These tiny creases allow the cards to curl quite nicely for gripping between your fingers without losing any stiffness otherwise. I don't know where I heard (or read) this, but it works.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Difference between manip card and standard ones (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL