The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Tenyo Prison Box (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1041 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
I read in some post that after serveral uses of Prison Box it broke.
Has anyone had one break and how did it break, just using it or was force being applied, fell on the floor?
I haven't got one yet just wondered if it is something I should get 2 of if it is prone to breakage.
It's An Illusion Unless I Can't Fix It Then It's A Reality.
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
No breaks here at all and I have it loose (but tucked in) in my magic briefcase and thought it would break by now so I got extras.

I never heard of one breaking.

What could happen, if you pass it out I can see that an audience member being too rough could break it.

Also I read somewhere that you should not tighten the bolts too tight when you store it because it can warp.

I have had mine for almost 10 years and it is still going strong.
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1041 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
I read it someplace in a post just a few days ago in older post that one broke but didn't say how.
Now I can't find where I seen it.
You have one 10 years later that still works that is good news.

Did read that too about it warps with bolts too tight and storing it that way.

Is it really necessary to have it covered that long and bounce it around under the cloth to do this effect?
The un natural way the box is being held length ways towards the spectator before it is covered in the video's must be mandatory to work the gimmick I guess.
Love the end effect but not so much the bouncing and way it is held.
But I have to get this for sure it's an all time crowd pleaser.
guerrestellari
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of guerrestellari
The "runways" or "guides" (that realigns or guides in the swivelled section )of my prison box broke off but it does not affect the ability to "swap" places. Just that I have to ensure that the positioning is aligned correctly before I remove the cloth / hankie.

Hope that helps
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1919 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
Hi MrWizard

No, you don't have to 'bounce' it around very long. It does need a bit of a 'knack' to get the 'move' done fluently. What I do is
- let specatator examine the box and ring,
- let him put in ring,
- take box back and slide lid on, telling this is another way to make sure I won't take the ring out of the box,
- do the turnover under a handkerchief as a 'joke' - I deliberately make this 'joke-move' pretty long - building up the tention. I'm doing this 'joke' two or three times.
- I take the box back, cover it once more and I then do the 'move' while walking/talking to the spectator so no one thinks something has happened yet
- while doing this (it's important to move a bit with your arms, body ... remember 'bigger' moves cover the smaller ones) I tell the spectator the ring is in the upper (or lower) compartment and I have a bad 'magic day' - I then let the spectator do the 'joke' move ... the specatator did the trick! I take it back and slide the cover off. I give the ring out for inspection.

Yes it can brake, the two sliding grooves (I don't know what else to call them in English) can brake easily when you pull them to the side. EDIT: basically what guerrestellari said Smile
xl18
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of xl18
Tenyo has a tip on their website whereby you don't need the cloth at all. Looks like it will take some practice but it probably looks really nice if done right.

http://www.tenyo.co.jp/magic_en/tips/tip07.html#Anchor01
edshern
View Profile
Inner circle
1399 Posts

Profile of edshern
Mine hasn't broke, but spectators, while examining it do try to force any moving part.
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1041 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
Would doing the move as described in the tip on the Tenyo site would there be even more of a chance to break off the guides by it rotating too fast anyone think?

Again I can only speculate not having one.

I would really like to see a video of it being done without being covered like that.
cyberdave03
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of cyberdave03
Quote:
Tenyo has a tip on their website whereby you don't need the cloth at all. Looks like it will take some practice but it probably looks really nice if done right.

You'd have to rotate your hand at the speed of a fan for someone not to see "the move".

I generally give demerits to tricks where you have to cover something up, but in the case of Prison Box, once you have the move down, you can make the swap in less than 5 seconds, so a cover takes second place to the impossible image of that imprisoned ring sitting in the middle compartment in that short amount of time.
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1041 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
"Rotate at the speed of a fan" : )
That could be a trick all on it's own!

Anyone tell me where is the best trusted reasonable priced place to get a new Prison Box or two?

Why Tenyo doesn't continue to produce the most popular highly sought after effects is amazing to me.
They have an Elite line not many seem to want to pay the high cost of, why not have a prepaid by request only discontinued line available!

Even if there was a minimum number of each you would have to purchase to place an order for resale purpose. You would clearly have to pay more than it cost originally but they would sell more than the Elite line many times over.

Being a businessman it makes no sense to me at all to discontinue something that has no problem with it and is constantly wanted by so many.
tristanmagic
View Profile
Special user
530 Posts

Profile of tristanmagic
Is Hank Lee's Magic factory a good place to order a Prison Box? (Too soon, ;-) )
meridianfan
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of meridianfan
Quote:
On 2012-04-04 11:45, MrWizard wrote:
Would doing the move as described in the tip on the Tenyo site would there be even more of a chance to break off the guides by it rotating too fast anyone think?

Again I can only speculate not having one.

I would really like to see a video of it being done without being covered like that.

Me too! I would love to see what that looks like done well. I'm not a huge fan of tricks that covered under a hankerchief, but I really like this trick a lot. I can see where someone can break the plastic rails along the top if they pull upwards too hard. I want a metal version via Tenyo Elite- I'm thinking an antique-looking hammered metal finish would be awesome.
meridianfan
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of meridianfan
One other thing- I was playing with this when I first got it, and thought about a routine focused on Houdini. The ring represents Houdini, and the box represents the jail cell (the bolts look like bars with a bit of imagination). You can show the piece and talk about how Houdini will pass through objects, escape, etc., Hold a piece of paper or cloth over the bottom of the box and perform the move quickly with one hand and lower the cover and show the ring on the inner bolt instead.

John
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1041 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
Quote:
On 2012-04-04 19:59, tristanmagic wrote:
Is Hank Lee's Magic factory a good place to order a Prison Box? (Too soon, ;-) )

I looked didn't see Prison Box listed on Hank Lee's.
Might have missed it but didn't see one.
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1919 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
Prison Box is still easily available in Japanese packaging. So unless you’re a real fanatic that only wants English packaging here is a link where you can buy one with confidence:
http://www.themagictrickshop.co.uk/product.html?prod_id=71

If you do a Google-search you’ll find other sources I’m sure.
I advise you to buy a few because I believe in a few years time this could very well become the next Mini-Morphosis Smile
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1041 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
Quote:
On 2012-04-05 04:38, Killertweety wrote:
Prison Box is still easily available in Japanese packaging. So unless you’re a real fanatic that only wants English packaging here is a link where you can buy one with confidence:
http://www.themagictrickshop.co.uk/product.html?prod_id=71

When you buy from another country do you ever get charged additional fee from Customs when it gets to your country?
I seen this below disclamer that makes me wonder if shipping to USA will have a Customs import duty and tax charge.

CUSTOMS: You may be subject to import duties and taxes, which are levied once the package reaches your country. Additional charges for customs clearance must be borne by you; we have no control over these charges and cannot predict what they may be. Customs policies vary widely from country to country; you should contact your local customs office for further information. Additionally, when ordering from us, you are considered the importer of record and must comply with all laws and regulations of the country in which you are receiving the goods.

Thanks Richard
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1919 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
Quote:
On 2012-04-05 05:01, MrWizard wrote:
When you buy from another country do you ever get charged additional fee from Customs when it gets to your country?
I seen this below disclamer that makes me wonder if shipping to USA will have a Customs import duty and tax charge.

Thanks Richard

Here in Belgium I have a 10% chance of having to pay custom taxes when ordering from outside of the E.U. with standard economy shipping - a 10 EURO standard fee. Ordering with Fedex or DHL however very often gives me a nice litle present of 20 EURO 'administration and customs fees' when the declared value exceeds 50 USD if I'm not mistaking.
Ask the seller to mark the CN-form as gift and declare a low value (25 USD or something). I have sold and traded a lot with people from outside the E.U., mainly the U.S.A., and they never had to pay custom taxes as far as I know when I claim the item to be a gift and declare a low value.
I describe Tenyo items as 'magic tricks' when I send them - I never declare them to be 'toys' as some of the sellers do because some toys may not be imported in some countries (like bibiguns for example in Belgium) - declaring them to be 'toys' therefore often results in inspection and fees, at least here in Belgium.

I hope this helps - to sum it up, I wouldn't worry too much Smile
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1041 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
How long has Prison Box been discontinued?
How long would you think it will be before it is almost impossible to find one new in package other than from a collectors stock?
Don't see many places that sell it doing google search now.
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1919 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
Prison Box hasn't been discontinued in Japan according to the official Tenyo site. The English version has been discontinued for over a year more or less I think. Only time will tell when it will become hard to find. Mini Morphosis sold for 60 - 70 USD, then suddenly BAM 350 USD - once that price was 'set' some Tenyo collectors bought up all the stock stores had left - the last one sold for less then 150 USD by the way, so for now that market is kind off 'saturated' - hopefully I will be able to obtain one for a decent price because I'd love to have a spare Smile).
Anyway, I believe it will be a pretty long-term investment if you buy now hoping to make a profit out of them in the future Smile
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1041 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
"Mini Morphosis sold for 60 - 70 USD, then suddenly BAM 350 USD" WOW!
I just wanted to get a prison box or 2 before that happenes to it : )
Seen a japan seller on ebay saying it is getting hard to even find in japan now.
Might be just saying that to increase sales but noticed it went from 38.00 to 42.00 so makes me concerned it is time to buy now. Figured if I got 4 to keep 2 and eventually sell the other 2 would work out ok.
Then last night the sudden increase while in my cart to check shipping on 4 went from 36.95 to 44.95 in minutes of asking them can they get more really makes me want to get them now to be safe cause I will never pay 350.00 : )
I guess no reason to panic yet but getting uneasy about it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Tenyo Prison Box (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL