The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Sunday school magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

firemage
View Profile
New user
CA
16 Posts

Profile of firemage
Hello
I just got the position of Sunday school teacher for a month. I want to do some magic for the kids along with the lessons. Any help you guys could give me would be great.
"Not all who wander are lost"

J.R.R. Tolkien
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
As much as we'd all love to help...I think you left us hanging. This will make my 2nd year working as a Sunday School helper and I've been using magic, puppets, and role playing to teach kids Bible stories with great success. I've drawn a prophet on my Axtell Magic Drawing Board and interviewed him. Multiplying goldfish crackers in a change bag, etc. is great to teach how Jesus fed thousands with just a little bit.

Take a look at the lessons that you'll be teaching and go into a brainstorm on how you can apply these concepts to magic routines. Not EVERYTHING can be successfully taught by magic but if you're willing to try, all the power to ya! Also, don't let the magic teach for itself. It's the teaching aid...YOU'RE the teacher! Don't forget that because it's very important.

Fill us in on what lessons you're to be teaching and we'll try to help you out. Until then, I'm sure God will work with you to develop some great routines to teach kids with!
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Firemage
From past experience, the KISS(Keep It Short & Simple) method works best with kids.

Make sure that your trick works in to your lesson, and that it doesn't eclipse everything else, or the lesson won't even be remembered by the time they walk out the door.
Definitely personal experience speaking. I worked up a lesson that was Great(I thought) and put in a trick that seemed to fit well, and illustrate my point. At the end of the class, I always ask questions about the lesson, to reinforce it in their minds. That day, they all drew a blank, Like they had never heard of anything I was asking about. They just stared at me with their cute little blank faces, wondering why I was asking these strange questions.

Don't let the trick overshadow the lesson.
Make sure you repeat the main points of your lesson several times.
Ask them questions and get them involved in the lesson.

Andini had it right, give us an idea of what your lessons are, and we'll try to come up with some effects.

Godspeed
Steve
zzz
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
When I was teaching Sunday School we had a lesson book to follow. I would look for routines that fit the theme
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Illusions4Life
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
128 Posts

Profile of Illusions4Life
I did the same when I was teaching Sunday School - just went with the lesson book and found an effect that went with the lesson. I taught 11th and 12th grade boys. At first they thought it was going to be silly, having to watch magic, but after a few weeks they were disappointed if I didn't have an effect for them. Kind of funny.

Jim
Maynooth
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
105 Posts

Profile of Maynooth
Doc Haley has a lot of good items. The good Doc passed on a couple of years back but there are still sites that supply from "Doc Haley" so the company is probably still around. Try a google for them. They do a Bible "colouring book" with a spare blank to leave laying around after that gets a great reaction. Especially when you act a bit panic at the kids finding your magic prop. The items that I bought several years ago from Doc Haley are still going strong so he's definitey worth a look.
cheers
Maynooth
The race is long and in the end it is only with one's self.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Steve Varro, the current President of the International Fellowship of Christian Magicians, bought Doc Haley's and continues to run it as it has been run for years. Good quality Gospel Magic at a fair price! www.gospelmagic.com

And don't forget Duane Laflin for Gospel effects also. www.laflinmagic.com (The site is slow loading but worth the wait)

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Sunday school magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL