The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Selling Myself (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Well I have made up four letters with my Logo letter head E mail address and number and repertoire of what I do ,the letters at the bottom have one of my business cards lightly glued to it and my mobile number is spaced out so that I can fill inbetween the didgit's with the four card pips,these are done with red and black frixion pens with instruction to lightly hold a flame underneath to reveal the number ,each letter put into gold envelopes and another different business card stuck on the envelopes ,going to post them to 4 restaurantes ,one very flash with a gent who plays the piano in a white tuxedo,really want this gig ,another will be a nice quaint chinese restaurante ,and may hit Browns and a few others.
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
576 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
Those letters will end up in the bin.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Congratulations on being my first negative reply, thanks for your faith in me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NOT,Nothing constructive there at all,cheers.
EXTREMENINJA1
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of EXTREMENINJA1
You might get a reply but it is likely that they will ignore them. Why not visit the restaurants in person and pitch face to face?
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
I agree, the best way to land a gig is a face to face meeting. You just have to go for it!
Life of Magic!
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Logos are good for brand recognition but is not selling. When people see a logo they should immediately think of you as a magician or your company that is in the magic show business (however you have your business set up). If you want to sell yourself, then pick a target market. Put your logo and website on your business card, put a 6 to 7 word phrase that states or communicates some big benefit that you can provide to a specific target market. Don't be the magician "for all occasions." It's very poor marketing to be the magician "for all occasions." Pick a target market, figure out what they want and figure out how you can use magic to benefit your target market. Figure out what your target market already wants, tap into that current want, intensify it and then talk about how you are going to benefit them and how you can use magic to help give them what they want.

It isn't about you, it's about the customer. People don't care about who you are or what you do, they care about what they get from you and what benefits you bring to them. So talk about the benefits you bring to your target market. Person to person selling is great, but when you go person to person selling you need to explain to the potential customer how you can help give them what they already want and explain the benefits you bring to them. Features are not benefits, so it's important to keep that in mind, but features can be correlated to a benefit. Hope that helps.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Many thanks guys for your positive feedback and will definatly take this all onboard.
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
576 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
Truth hurts I guess.

- Restaurant owners are in the business to make money. They don't care about magic, heating mysterious letters with lighters to reveal hidden messages etc. You're approaching this the wrong way, in my opinion.

Michael Ammar has an audio tape recorded with Charles Greene about the business side of restaurant magic, I suggest you invest in that. Also pickup the two hardcover editions of The Magic Menu.

Let us know how you get on.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On 2012-04-07 07:55, MickNZ wrote:
Truth hurts I guess.

- Restaurant owners are in the business to make money. They don't care about magic, heating mysterious letters with lighters to reveal hidden messages etc. You're approaching this the wrong way, in my opinion.

Michael Ammar has an audio tape recorded with Charles Greene about the business side of restaurant magic, I suggest you invest in that. Also pickup the two hardcover editions of The Magic Menu.Many thanks for your valid feedback and I will look into this .

Let us know how you get on.
many thaks for your valid feedback I will look into these.
Andrew Morse
View Profile
Regular user
Corvallis, OR
157 Posts

Profile of Andrew Morse
Quote:
On 2012-04-07 07:55, MickNZ wrote:

Michael Ammar has an audio tape recorded with Charles Greene about the business side of restaurant magic, I suggest you invest in that.

You can just download this as an mp3 from his website for low price.
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Hate to say it, but MickNZ is right; those pretty letters will end up in the circular file. You need to get in face to face to get anywhere.

Also...

Just no other way to say it; your spelling, punctuation and grammar need work; they scream youth and inexperience/ignorance. I'm not trying to be mean, just helpful.

Internet 'speak' may be fine for forums, but if you don't clean up your skills managers will ashcan your promotional materials quicker than blondes abandon actors. Find a friend or parent that is especially good at writing and have them proofread your material.

Good luck out there!
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On 2012-04-07 12:42, Ekuth wrote:
Hate to say it, but MickNZ is right; those pretty letters will end up in the circular file. You need to get in face to face to get anywhere.

Also...

Just no other way to say it; your spelling, punctuation and grammar need work; they scream youth and inexperience/ignorance. I'm not trying to be mean, just helpful.

Internet 'speak' may be fine for forums, but if you don't clean up your skills managers will ashcan your promotional materials quicker than blondes abandon actors. Find a friend or parent that is especially good at writing and have them proofread your material.

Good luck out there!
Sorry I thought this was a forum about magic?, obviously as I can 't spell ,can 't read and write and my punctuation is crap, as you say ,well what chance have I got ,find a parent you cheeky so and so ,im a 50 plus year old man,how dare you speak to me in this manner,welcome you are the first arsehole to reply to my post.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On 2012-04-07 19:12, Fire Starter wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-04-07 12:42, Ekuth wrote:

Also...

Good luck out there!
Sorry I thought this was a forum about magic?, obviously as I can 't spell ,can 't read and write and my punctuation is crap, as you say ,well what chance have I got ,find a parent you cheeky so and so ,im a 50 plus year old man,how dare you speak to me in this manner,welcome you are the first arsehole to reply to my post.
Just because someone can not read or write, does that make them no good at what they do? I can not read a note of music,or write music yet I can play several instruments and I do add ,play guitat extremely well,as many musicians out there, many being famous could not read or write music , but werre superb at there art,and so many a good magician out there in the same catergory ,yes have ago about a routine that I might do ,but DO NOT INSULT ME ON HERE,about my Enlish and punctuation,seen a lot of this on here,and I will certainly will not put up with a bully like you, I have lit the touch paper ,now I will stand back and watch it burn.
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Okay, back off, Yogi Berra. I was attempting to be helpful, not insulting.

If I had *wanted* to be insulting, believe me, I would have been. Unlike other trolls on these forums, I actually give a rat's patootie about my brothers in the craft and want to help them succeed.

I am now left wondering after your vitriolic replies if you are simply, as your forum moniker implies, a troll that likes to start arguments purely for your own amusement. However, let us address the issues at hand:

Several points:

1. It is a forum about magic. Check the byline: "Magicians helping magicians". That's what I was attempting to do. Help you sell yourself and project a professional image.

2. Your spelling and punctuation ARE sub-par. I was trying to point this out in a helpful, rather than insulting, manner. I wouldn't buy squat from someone who sent me a letter filled with so many errors.

If you want to be treated like a professional, try looking, sounding and acting like one. Go talk to any business professional or career advisor- they'll tell you the same thing.

3. Age is difficult to determine via text, especially on forums. Again, if you want respect, start by acting your age and show a little grace and tact when someone attempts to help you. If you don't like the answers, don't ask the questions.

4. Since you were the first to hurl an insult, I submit that this only further speaks to your lack of emotional maturity. Pity that age doesn't equal couth, eh?

Apparently, you aren't looking for honest feedback or constructive criticism, you're looking for people to suck up and tell you how great you are... well, sir;

If you're attempting to land gigs with that Statue of Liberty size chip on your shoulder, I can see why you're having trouble.

Now I suggest you pick yourself up, dust off your wounded pride and stop acting like the "arsehole" you so readily accuse others of being. You're not going to get very far in this business (or any other) wearing your emotions on your sleeves like that.

*tips hat*
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Spelling gone right out the window ,now ,as you have made me so angry,what is your hang up about spelling and English? constructive/positive feedback are good ,you on the other had have just made a big issue about my grammer,ok I don t always spell check ,my pretty letters as you call them are BANG on with correct grammer and spelling,so this is now a English and punctuation forum? not about how I present magic? ,I have come on here to share and hopfully get something positive out of it,I should of known better,never come across so many !@#$%y pathetic magicians on here (NOT ALL ON HERE)I do add ,so many prima donna's,I have seen this bully talk you do,people like you ,shoot everyone down in flames,well not so sure this is the place for me,Yeh go on MR SPELLCHECK.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Just to add a TROLL ,I am not sir,have you read any of my threads? if you had you would of seen that I have shared a lot of ideas with people,not asked for any knowledge of how tricks are done,or reveals ,have been very polite as I am a Brickwork lecture at a college, and yes I don 't teach English or Maths,before you ask.I do have a CERTIFICATE IN EDUCATION and work with the genral public ,my idea was just to do a little part time work ,don 't think I will bother now ,as you have complety burst my bubble,still some nice folk on here.
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Hamlet:
Act 3, Scene 2, Line 254.
bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
718 Posts

Profile of bobn3
Firestarter,

You are taking the feedback personally. You asked for feedback, and that is what you are getting. Do you want feedback, or do you want people to pat you on the back and tell you how wonderful you are? Your first posting was all one long sentence making it difficult to read. Most people would discard something that is difficult to read. Marketing involves solving other people's problems, not totally concentrating on your logo. Just try their ideas and see how they work. Printing is too expensive to put out stuff that will get thrown away. Study what the management in restaurants want and need (hospitality) and gear your advertising accordingly.

Bob Phillips
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Many thanks Bob ,I can see your point to a degree on my long sentance's .I have taken some feedback personally, as I feel like I have just been picked on purely for spelling and grammer ,i am now frightened to write on here anymore ,I do not get this on other forums that I go on , taken for who I am ,not about how well I can spell,but again thank you for your kind words ,my confidence is now at a all time low and the whole idea has put me off.
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
576 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Selling Myself (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL