The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paint the Roses Red DVD by Lewis Lé Val (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2012-04-11 12:53, Andrew Zuber wrote:
I think it's just because the market is continuing to move in the Blu-Ray direction and they're trying to stay on top of those trends.

Granted, Blu-Ray is the up and coming thing, but I honestly can't see the reason for making a magic DVD in that format considering it's higher price. Let's face it; most people are trying to pinch pennies as best they can so I seriously doubt that most will be willing to pay the higher price ($5.00 more) for something that, for all practical purposes, is not necessary given the genre of the DVD. Nothing whatsoever against Blu-Ray, but for this type of DVD.....not needed. Then again, that's just my opinion. Smile
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
I think a lot of people who've invested in an HDTV and a Blu-Ray player just want every new video they buy to be in the new format, regardless of content. I can kinda understand that, honestly. If I bought the DVD version and a Blu-Ray edition was available, I'd end up wondering if I was getting the best possible picture and sound...and that would bug me even if it was "just" a magic video. So, unless it was a lot more expensive, I'd probably buy the Blu-Ray. Smile
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
DeeChristopherMagic
View Profile
Special user
637 Posts

Profile of DeeChristopherMagic
To be honest, when it came to doing the Blu-Ray, it's something that we'd wanted to do ourselves for some time - This seemed like the right project to do it as there's so much packed in.

When the tuition gets quite intricate, i.e. with sleights and whatnot, I think the higher video quality makes it even easier it is to learn every nuance of a move. Not only that, but if we'd have just stuck with the compressed DVD version, everyone would have thought that it was Johnny Depp and not Lé Val on the DVD. Smile

We only produced a small amount of Blu-Ray discs to test the water - The DVD version is still great looking, but I know that I'd have snapped up a magic Blu-Ray if it had come out just to see if it really is that different, but as no one else was going to release one, we thought we'd give that opportunity to the industry and start the trend. It's the next logical step - I look forward to seeing what JB and the T11 crew do with the format in the future!

As for the extra price, it's literally our manufacturing cost really, they cost us an extra £2-3 to produce per unit.

If you have a blu-ray player, I'd definitely recommend that version - The quality is immense. We've also included all the PDFs you receive on the normal DVD on an extra disc as we know that most people that have Blu-Ray players don't have them as disc drives in their PC!

Hope that clears things up!

Rock n roll,
DC
Producer // PenguinMagic.com

My new book :: Astral Psychometry. Modern Mystical Mentalism.
Magic Cafe members get 20% off - Use code MAGICCAFE at checkout!

https://deechristopher.rocks/collections/dee-christopher-products/products/astral-psychometry
Anthony Black
View Profile
Special user
Tamworth - Albion
851 Posts

Profile of Anthony Black
Hi,

I have just posted my review of this,

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=109&0

:)
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1905 Posts

Profile of ted french
I thought the Blue Ray was cool because they can say they were the first to do it.
P3
practice practice perform.
rnaviaux
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of rnaviaux
Quote:
On 2012-04-06 11:18, Chris Piercy wrote:
Ben Earl also has something using a similar principle.

Yep - It's in his Past Midnight DVD set. Totally different effect though. I think Ben's effect is more of a "magician fooler" while Le'Val's application of the principle is more commercial.
lumberjohn
View Profile
Special user
Memphis, TN
615 Posts

Profile of lumberjohn
As "Harmony" appears to be the anchor effect on this DVD, I'm trying to determine if it's for me. The folks I perform for generally aren't experienced card handlers and typically perform riffle shuffles either poorly or not at all. Will the effect still work if the spectator cuts and/or shuffles poorly or inconsistently? For instance, if all cuts are shallow (or deep) and the shuffle is blocky? If the effect requires roughly equal cuts and thorough shuffles that approach faros, then this isn't for me as it just wouldn't work for the vast majority of the people I perform for.
DeeChristopherMagic
View Profile
Special user
637 Posts

The shuffles and cuts don't have to be perfect, it'll still work.

A lot of people are focusing just on Harmony - That's only one trick of the seven items on the DVD, which are all great! Also, there's a bunch of extra features, like a 45 minute discussion on performance and some psychological subtleties with Lewis and myself and 4 PDFs on disc expanding on what's talked about in the discussion and some items on the DVD.

This is much more than a one trick DVD, It's the length of a feature film! I do understand that a lot of people like Harmony, but my favorite effects are 'Off with his head' and Curiosity!

DC

https://deechristopher.rocks/collections/dee-christopher-products/products/astral-psychometry
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2640 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I tweaked Harmony just a small bit and made one addition to it, and performed it for a friend yesterday. She loved it. Everything, um, worked out shall we say, which eliminated one step making for an even cleaner effect. It was a great way to perform it for the first time and I couldn't help but smile as I did it. Lots of fun!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2703 Posts

Profile of lunatik
You'll have to share!
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Nicko
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of Nicko
Gregory Wilson's Exact Change is a great segway into Lewis Le Val's "Curiostiy" routine or vice versa!

Nicko
Philippe
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of Philippe
Played around with Harmony and have it now
that any s..t named will work, not sure but think
Harmony is almost too good!
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2012-04-15 15:04, Philippe wrote:
Played around with Harmony and have it now
that any s..t named will work, not sure but think
Harmony is almost too good!

It's OK to say the word "suit". After all, that is the description of the effect. lol

~Harmony - Despite the spectator giving a deck of cards two thorough shuffles beforehand, the performer is able to know the exact order of cards in a chosen suit.~

Other than that, I don't think there was ever any concern whatsoever about what suit the spectator can choose, but rather a question about how the cards can be shuffled and the freedom of what number can be chosen.

Quote:
On 2012-04-05 20:48, Zombie Magic wrote:
Producers, please watch this demo, because they show some FULL performances. You know what your getting. Please stop the MTV, creative nonsense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGwS_ssoLmk&feature=related

Well, they certainly left out the full performance of Harmony on that demo! If I had not watched how David Penn performed it for Craig Petty on the WPR Harmony would not have piqued my interest in any way, (i.e. the cards were never spread out) and I’d really have no idea whatsoever as to what the trick was trying to accomplish. Just where does the memory aspect of that demo come into play? In my opinion, if the cards are not spread out for you to take a quick glance at it loses everything.
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
Dellor
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Dellor
Is it just me or does curiosity feel to .. obvious. Are the coins in England more uniform in shape, and that is why it fools people. Being from the US I don't really see it working unless you can give them the coins back to place it in their pockets themselves.
Can anyone clear this up?
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Quote:
On 2012-04-15 19:24, gaffed wrote:

Well, they certainly left out the full performance of Harmony on that demo! If I had not watched how David Penn performed it for Craig Petty on the WPR Harmony would not have piqued my interest in any way, (i.e. the cards were never spread out) and I’d really have no idea whatsoever as to what the trick was trying to accomplish. Just where does the memory aspect of that demo come into play? In my opinion, if the cards are not spread out for you to take a quick glance at it loses everything.

the version they did on the demo wasn't structured as a demonstration of memory, so it wouldn't have made any sense to spread out the cards in that version.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2012-04-15 21:17, Magicsquared wrote:

the version they did on the demo wasn't structured as a demonstration of memory, so it wouldn't have made any sense to spread out the cards in that version.

OK, but like I said, if I had first watched this demo it would have done nothing for me. To me the idea of one spreading out the deck and the having the premise of you memorizing the order of the cards of the suit at a quick glance that the spectator named is what does it for me. Then again....that's just me.
~Yogi Berra~

Philippe
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of Philippe
Sugestion,use the Tamariz shuffle!
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6928 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I watched Harmony and thought it looked a bit similar to an effect by Liam Montier called Henry Sugar. Turns out, it is very similar. So similar in fact that I was shocked to learn that Liam receives no credit on the project. I'm sure Lewis didn't know about Liam's trick. But maybe some sort of crediting arrangement could be worked out. It's just too similar to not credit Liam's effect.
DeeChristopherMagic
View Profile
Special user
637 Posts

Hey Cameron,

Yes, I spoke with Liam about his effect very recently - I'd never seen Henry Sugar, I'd heard the title, but never read the effect or method so had no idea that it was similar. Lewis independently discovered the principle, so had no idea either! Smile

However, We are currently compiling full crediting for a few of the effects on the DVD as some have come to light since release, Harmony being one of the main culprits as several people have done work using similar principles that we simply weren't aware of when we shot the DVD.

There will be a crediting page added to the PTRR product page over the next couple of days when Jack is back (He deals with the site) which will include mention of Montier, Braue, Kenner, Tameriz and the others on the list I've managed to compile with the help of a few others!

Best,
DC

Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6928 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Great news, Dee! Glad to hear it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paint the Roses Red DVD by Lewis Lé Val (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL