The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Keurig (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Denis Bastible
View Profile
Loyal user
Buffalo, New York
293 Posts

Profile of Denis Bastible
I love my single serving Keurig coffeemaker. Never a bad cup of joe.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Best coffee machine on the market. Best cup of coffe you'll ever get from a home coffe maker. Pick your blend.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
I have tried that brand of coffee maker, but did try a Nespresso and didn't care for the brew. I used that type coffee maker a lot while on trips to Europe, where they're very popular. Overall, I'm not a big fan.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
With over 200 varieties of coffees, teas and hot chocolate, how can one say you don't like it Smile

Just as a note, I occasionally demo this product for the company.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Bill,

For me it has more to do with the way the coffee is brewed and draws out the flavor of the coffee. Sorry, but my cup of coffee.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I've tried a few different varieties in the Keurig at my veterinarian's office and I prefer my french press.
Not saying I don't like the Keurig. It's better than any office Mr. Coffee I've ever used.
I just like the french press better.
And the Keurig is expensive if you're spending concious.
And think of all of those single-serving packages if you're into the whole "green-living" thing.
(That's not preaching green-living to anybody, just that it's something to think about if that's the sort of thing you care about.)
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Little known tip...you can use the k-cups twice! This reduces the cost. The cups are also recyclable if you care to take the top foil off and then the coffee/filter out.

But for sure it can be costly for the machine as opposed to just a kettle or a $20 quick brew.

Nothing will ever beat fresh ground coffee though.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Here's a heads-up on a new type single cup coffee maker. My favorite coffee maker... is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Aero-Press-Coffee-......7&sr=8-8

I think it is an actual advance in the science of coffee makers.

Not especially for espresso (no matter what they say), but for regular coffee. It does an astounding job and the process takes out any bitterness your coffee may have. It is sort of a reverse french press, easy to use, easy to clean, no grit in the cup. A great little invention. I used one for a year, then popped for the stainless steel filter.

If you are into making your own, cup by cup, this is a real nice invention. Check their reviews on Amazon. Plus, it's very portable, packable...great coffee in any hotel room...I won't bore you with all the ways I like this one, but so far, it gets high recommendations from me, and I give them as gifts.

At about $26, you might find them worth trying out.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
My sister has one (Keurig), and it does make a nice cup of coffee. I think the simplicity, precision, single-serving size, and the variety of coffee/tea choices is the big selling points. They must be popular, because even Wal Mart has a mountain of these and the K-cups on display. It is good for my sister's family because she only drinks tea, her husband drinks coffee, and my niece likes the flavored coffees. Something for everyone.

I haven't checked, but I'd assume that there will be, if not already some "store brand" cups available to fit these machines.

Personally, I am more old school. I prefer to grind my own beans and make it a pot at a time.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
I have a French Press as well. You can use any coffee you want and make it as strong as you like.
Same with my Espresso maker.
– Karl Germain
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I still prefer an old time percolator.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I have a couple of those camp-style ones around here somewhere. I love camp-coffee.

Recycling is good, but it still uses rescources to do it.

Note: I didn't say the Keurig is bad. As noted, it makes a decent cup. I just prefer to grind my beans and use the french press.
Although, these days most of my coffee intake is the instant mixed into my morning protein shake. I know, sacrilege.
~Will Rogers
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
I have a French Press at home---still the best, IMO. And a small Keurig single cup brewer in my music studio for my students. They LOVE getting a FREE cup of freshly brewed coffee made just for them!
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
French press is the best to me, especially for iced coffee... I have a Keurig and love it for tea as well as great coffee...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Yet another synchronicity/random occurence, the Big Lots ad that came out today had Keurig cups as the main buyout.
~Will Rogers
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Hey Critter, you're really on to this thing, aren;t you? Too bad you can't double post to the original thread, huh?

Hey! Maybe I'll suggest cross referencing threads to the administrators...whaddaya' think?
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Hopefully, I've got a bonus coming in at the end of June. If I do, they'll be a Keurig on the table for my wife first of July!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2012-04-10 02:45, Bob1Dog wrote:
Hey Critter, you're really on to this thing, aren;t you? Too bad you can't double post to the original thread, huh?

Hey! Maybe I'll suggest cross referencing threads to the administrators...whaddaya' think?

I've always noticed this stuff. Your thread just gave me an excuse to talk about it Smile
~Will Rogers
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I have looked at this thread with great interest from time to time. The then-Mrs Woland (who is still the now-Mrs Woland) bought me a small Krups home espresso maker in 1992 or 1993. After some initial enthusiasm, I didn't use it for years. Which was a good thing.

After a trip to Rome in 2008, I had the urge to pull it out of the cabinet and start every morning with a steaming cup of espresso. This time, I learned something about how to do it, and I quite happily prepared a caffe corretto every morning for almost 3 years. I enjoyed grinding the more-or-less fresh Caribou Obsidian beans in the Breville burr grinder, tamping the coffee into the handle, and watching the cup fill with excellent crema. A demitasse spoon of sugar and a slug of Calvados, and the morning started right - even at 5:00 AM.

Then the small Illy francis francis machine was placed on sale, and I was enticed. For almost a year, espresso from the little plastic cartridges has been my morning libation.

The ease of use is outstanding. And the quality of the coffee is excellent, and quite consistent.

The cost is slightly higher than that for the whole beans. I think I pay about 80 cents or so for each cartridge; a pound of the Caribou coffe costs about $15 a pound, which lasted me the better part of a month - say 25 cups.

I do miss the ritualized activity of preparing the machine, grinding the coffee, tamping the grounds, timing the brew, and even cleaning up afterwards. So I do use the old Krups from time to time.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Back in the 90's Starbucks came out with a machine which used a prepared sort of envelope thing shaped something like a urinal cake.
It was designed to increase the consistency of their product (and probably streamline the process for business reasons.)
At the time, I felt like it took the art out of making a finely crafted espresso shot.
Now-a-days, I realize that there is something to be said for consistency.
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Keurig (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL