The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Tattoos! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
OK, I'm covered in permanent ink. Just wondering if anyone else here has gone under the needle and what your tats are?

Thanks for sharing!

And the needle starts up... bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
I want to get a tatoo on my chest that looks like on of those "hello my name is" name tags but all my extra money goes to magic.
zeroG
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of zeroG
My buddy just opened a parlor. I'm surprised that I'm not completely covered yet!
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5400 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I have a few tats and a number in the works.

My left arm is working toward a full sleeve. So far the left bicep/triceps has an oriental style, half-sleeve that features a monkey holding a scale (I am a Year of the Monkey Libra!). The lower left arm will have a whole magic motif thing working, including a magician in formal attire pulling a rabbit from a hat, cups and balls, spilling cards, doves flying, etc. It’s in the design process.

I have a small European style dragon, which sits on my right ankle, and a large European style dragon, in flight, covering my left thigh.

The sleeve for the right arm and a large back piece is being designed.

The goal is a full body suit by the time I am 90 (just around the corner)!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Sounds like Harry has some great artwork! Whoa! Gotta love it.

My bold black line tribal work covers entire left side of chest, back, and lower abdomen.

Heck, some folks collect art and hang it on the wall while some of us just take it with us everywhere we go....

Looks like this guy is under the needle Smile
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1299 Posts

Profile of GlenD
No tattoos of any kind for me.
I want to be original and non-conformist and have all bare skin everywhere.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2003-10-01 13:03, GlenD wrote:
I want to be original and non-conformist and have all bare skin everywhere.

Bare skin everywhere....hmmmmm....I'm sure you look pretty sexy that way Glen Smile I have seen some bodys that maintain mouth-watering looks without adornment of any kind.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1299 Posts

Profile of GlenD
That's why I give a little taste for everyone here at The Magic Café' with my sexy pic!!! Smile

GlenD (cracking up here) Smile
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
I have something of an iron cross on my left bicep. and a japanese symbol for Dad (my Dad passed away) on my right bicep. I'm gettin it added onto with symbols for Mom and Son.. then I'm getting scriptures around them.

Justin
Newly renovated and ready to be explored:

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
When my brother-in-law was in iraq he gave himself a tatoo of my sisters name with a nife and some ink. they also have each others names around their ring finger's which is pretty neat.
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
Well I have none yet. I am thinking of getting (once I turn 18) a few tats.

One my shoulder (don't know which one) I was this lion that has a crown above his head. I either want that or the Maltesse (spelling?) cross on both shoulders.

One my right elbow I want a black star with red flames, and on my left elbow I want a red star with black flames.

Chris
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
I greatly admire tats and always have. I can't ever pass up a parlor window, person, or photo.

I simply can't think of anything I would want forever. I just can't get passed that.

How do you folks come to terms with that aspect, or is it not a factor to you?
MrCyNic
View Profile
Loyal user
England
238 Posts

Profile of MrCyNic
Well, it's certainly a factor to me. I couldn't just choose a design from a catalogue. Heck, I can't even pick shoes from a catalogue.

Like a lot of people (but not enough, in my opinion), I design my patterns myself. My girlfriend (who's an excellent artist) elaborates and finalises them for me and (until recently when he closed his shop) my friend Glenn did the needlework.

So far I've got my left shoulder and upper arm covered. All blackwork. It's soon to be spreading to my left pectoral and shoulderblade, and from there probably down my spine. It's all one unified design, a stylised bug that's slowly creeping across my torso.

Until recently, my interest in tattoos has been totally separate from my interest in magic. Reed McClintock's work has changed that. He has the Nikola card system tattooed across his stomach. Now that's dedication!

I hear there's a good place up in Greenwich, so I'm going to check it out for my next piece.

Cheers,

Cy.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2003-10-02 21:42, blindbo wrote:
I simply can't think of anything I would want forever. I just can't get passed that.

Now that's the awareness of mature intelligence! I've met many who have some level of regret when it comes to their old tats ie the old girlfriend's name, being drunk when they got them, or the fact that they have mickey mouse on one shoulder and a tough looking screaming demon with wings on the other.

I designed the tribal designs (which mean nothing to most who view them) myself. A personal mandela of sorts if you like. The piece comprised mostly of bold and wide tribal designs mostly in blank ink.

I've worn the piece for over ten years now and well....can't imagine living without them...strange I know. I've even seen photos of myself prior to the work and almost can't recognize myself. lol!

My advice to those who remain undecided is be patient. Blindbo is smart enough to not commit some common mistakes in tattooing which include rushing to just get something cool, letting Budweiser make the choice, and most importantly - consideration of the commitment involved. Yeah tattoo removal is available these days for a couple of thousand dollars per square inch over several treatments. I hear that some minor scarring remains following the expensive and extended treatment. Some things do hang around forever it seems.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
So true. Tattoos are quite a commitment. I've attended many tattoo conventions, and you will really see some bad choices on people there. Cover-up tats are a cottage industry in and of itself.

But for me personally, my tattoos mean absolutely nothing. They're just images that I happen to like. They were all designed by me (because I'm an artsy little nerd) and if they have any meaning at all it's extremely vague.

I have a pinup girl on my right bicep, flames (like on a hotrod) on my right forarm. Four aces and a set of dice on the inside right forearm. My left shoulder has a sacred heart/bowling theme. The ball is the heart with thorns around it. The pins are the crown with flames coming out the top. And my left inner forearm has a panther fighting a shark (don't ask how that is possible!).

The next is a set of handcuffs with a banner that says "escape" on it. A nod to HH. And I'm having spider webs done on my elbows.

As I'm in the process of starting my own tattoo business, I'm interested to see what people will approach me with.

So if any of you find yourselves in the Chicago area, drop by and get some ink! I'll give you the fellow magi discount!
Smile
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5400 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Some of my tats are older than some of the posters here at the Café! I love each and every one of them and could not see myself without them. Each was my own design and each triggers a very pleasant memory. Each took a lot of thought before being put on. In fact, I had one design in mind for almost 10 years before I had it put on. I figured that since I still liked the idea and design 10 years later that I must be pretty committed to it.

Many, no ALL, of the tattoo artists that I personally know will not ink a drunk, or drug impaired person. In fact, the artists that I know are so booked up that a person wanting a tattoo has a week or two to think about the commitment before it gets inked in. No walk-in’s accepted in their parlors. Unfortunately, I think that is not the norm for tattoo parlors.

Recently, I was at a magic convention and a young man, seeing my tattoos, asked how I’d feel about them when I hit 60! I answered that I was already there and still loved even the oldest of my tattoos.Smile

Interestingly, my oldest tattoo was older than the young man being shocked and offended by them. Oh well…

Unlike blindbo, I do tend to like things forever. Heck, I was wearing khaki chinos back in the day (high school) and am still wearing a version today (kaki Dockers)! Likewise for jeans and t-shirts. Hey, I discovered Haine’s, long sleeve, Beefy Tee’s in the late 70’ and they are still my preferred shirt for day to day leisure wear. Dang, maybe I am in a rut!

Still, tattoos are a lifelong commitment and should not be entered into lightly. It is easier, cheaper, and less painless to end a marriage than to get rid of a tattoo! Neither should be entered into lightly!!!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
I have a pot leaf on my left arm, I.Q.R. with a Curlicue under it on my right inside ankle and a red heart with a banner running over it with the name Elizabeth on it (my daughter) on the inside of my left ankle. The first two are homemade and the heart is from a parlor. My cousin has a tattoo of his son on the back of his leg. The tattoo looks very much like a photograph, the artist did a very fine job. I do want one more tattoo, something with a Magic theme.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
I think tattoos are very hot, but I don't have one (yet). I did have an ex boyfriend who put a little one of my name on his upper arm. I wonder what the tattoo has turned into now?

Anabelle Smile
bizarrewreck
View Profile
New user
Fort Collins, CO
51 Posts

Profile of bizarrewreck
Skulls and tribals down both arms. Have NO idea where the skull motif came from.
Scott Grimm
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
141 Posts

Profile of Scott Grimm
Most of mine are designs of my own I got in New Orliens. Exept for two Chineese characters on each arm. Lesson: go drinking AFTER four hours under the gun. Ten years later, I still have no idea what they say.
Faith is at the heart of all magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Tattoos! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL