The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » The shape of astonishment (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pennjarr
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of pennjarr
One of my favourite pieces of impromptu magic has to be 'the shape of astonishment' by Paul Harris. In a nutshell the only props needed are a coin and some aluminium foil (this is perfect for BBQ's.

Essentialy the effect is very simple, you cover the coin with the foil, then start rubbing the foil to create a rubbing which replicates the coin (heads side up) onto the foil. The ebgraving takes some time in order to get the detail copied onto the foil. THe drop the coin heads up into the spectators hand, they then turn the coin so it is tails sides up.... and the fragile foil imprint has also turned into the tails in all its glorious detail.

This effect appeals to me as you can borrow the coin and the foil and the spectator is left with a wonderful little souviner of the magic.

The effect appears in 'the art of astonishment' by Paul Harris and i would highly recommend all three volumes, particularly for those interested in card magic.
besy of luck
David
dAvId tOnG
View Profile
Regular user
sInGaPoRe
103 Posts

Profile of dAvId tOnG
i agree that The Shape of Astonishment is a very good impromptu effect. I've tried that...it is very good and very simple to perform. This is the best effect i get from the tape...works with any coins... Smile
Garrett Nelson
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Garrett Nelson
And at the BBQ, you could go right into Harris's Fizz Master...
Jay
View Profile
Elite user
Northern New Jersey
406 Posts

Profile of Jay
Hey! Shape of Astonishment into Fizz Master is my entire BBQ routine! (I'm sure it's the rest of the world's routine also) Anyone have any other outdoors-y type effects? Maybe Paul Harris' 'Leaf' effect? Maybe a shish-kabob skewer through tongue or arm? I did a linking pretzel thing at our Memorial Day bbq, I think it was from Magic for Dummies or Idiot's guide to Magic. Let's hear some creativity now that the summer is here (for us Northeastern U.S. people anyways).

Jay Smile
J_C
View Profile
New user
Manchester, UK
59 Posts

Profile of J_C
Well, living in the UK we don't get summers. Just 3 Autumns and a Winter.

Anyway, if I were to imagine of ever going outside I might do the "Free Lunch" routine from AoA v.3. - Fantastic idea.
Also of course the "Peanut Butter and Jellyfish" from AoA v.3 as well.

Actually, everything from the Art of Astonishment series.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » The shape of astonishment (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL