The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Why has magic stop being a community? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MichalMystic
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of MichalMystic
Alright I've been silent for almost 10 years now, but I think it time for some to say something.....

How is that the magician have gone from being a close brotherhood to nothing but a bunch of ego maniacs and whiners? One of my reason for always being in the background is even when I was 12 and first join my local ring..I quickly learned it wasnt about magic it was like highschool.... all about popularity and politics and very little with helping the magic community.

Heck is anyone else like me when they remember when even here it was about helping..knowledge.

Now I can't even read a basic thread with out seeing name calling..out and out rudeness.

Ever since magic hit the internet magic has been taught in a selfish manner..it all about look at me and how cool I look.
This has never and I repeat never been the point of magic..it was never about the magician himself..it about entertaining people...making them laugh..taking them to somewhere they never been.

This has change now it all about check my crappy YouTube vids of me performing for no one and and magic masterbating and splashing 52 cards all over the screen.

Heck it even come to the point if you go into a magic shop for some help and god forbid you didn't buy off them...you get no help. I understand for them magic a business, but why did you open the shop in the first place? To help other to help the magic community. Next time think hey if I help this guy not only am I helping the magic community but, I bet next time they guy or girl needs some magic they'll be coming to you to buy!

How is this a brotherhood? How is this a community.....these are the question put out to all of you.

My hope is that this thread turn into a meaningful thread with great views and communication.

Thank you.
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
578 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
Maybe you're just looking in the wrong places.
MichalMystic
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of MichalMystic
Im not looking at the wrong places, this the state of the magic scene right now..and even if you don't 100% agree with me you have to see how the magic scene and they way magic is taught has gone the wrong way.

Heck if you don't agree right on! Let me know why! This why I posted.

Quote:
On 2012-04-11 01:33, MickNZ wrote:
Maybe you're just looking in the wrong places.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Here's the real question...

Was Magic EVER a community?

Or you saw it that way because you'd like it to be?

No real applicable laws imposed or the authority/ability to impose them...

Just look at what Valentino did to us...

And the "community" did WHAT as a whole? Smile

I hope it becomes one but I think it is still a long way before it can be called that...

"A gathering of like minds, each with their own goals and agendas" is more I like it...

A trade for some, a hobby for most, makes it more complicated to create a real respected hierarchy.

But that's just how I see it. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
MichalMystic
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of MichalMystic
First awesome a well thought out post! Thanks man! To me it just amazing how the attitude of magicians and magic teachers. and the whole magic scene has really changed. Yes of course this only my view. I even remember when Ellusionist came out everyone bashing them..but even still people were that way cause of the respect they had for magic..not just to be a troll. They wanted proper credits..they wanted the respect that magic deserved. Now this isn't a Ellusionist bashing by any means..they made mistake corrected them and now are one of the biggest magic companies out there.

I just believe that right now magic isn't being shown as respectful or being taught to respect magic and others... that my biggest concern not respecting others and the art.

Quote:
On 2012-04-11 14:14, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Here's the real question...

Was Magic ever a community?

Or you saw it that way because you'd like it to be?

No real applicable laws, look at what Valentino did to us?

And the "community" did what as a whole? Smile

I hope it becomes one but I think it is still a long way before it can be called that...

"A gathering of like minds, each with their own goals and agendas." is more I like it...

A trade for some, a hobby for most makes it more complicated.

But that's just how I see it. Smile
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Yer' welcome... Smile

Yes, RESPECT.

People don't respect Magicians... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
MichalMystic
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of MichalMystic
It not lay people Im worried about respecting magicians. Its other magicians respecting each other..or even the hobbiest respecting the art itself and those that have laid the foundation for this great art we call magic!

Quote:
On 2012-04-11 14:41, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Yer' welcome... Smile

Yes, RESPECT.

People don't respect Magicians... Smile
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Nothing has really changed. They're have been great clubs, bad clubs. Great shops, bad shops. Creative forces, thieves that steal creations.

Reed McClintock joined a local magic club before anyone knew who he was and was treated as a pariah because of his unconventional look.
MichalMystic
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of MichalMystic
I'm not sure how long you been involved in magic but when I started there was this feeling of belonging to a brotherhood a special club. Yes there good and bad clubs this isn't the point Im making. The state of how magic is being taught and the way it being perceived does no good for the magic community. I see less and less help and more and more people acting like little spoiled kids cause they did magic for a bit or even for years and think they know everything and have the right to be rude. Instead why not help..why not strive to make the magic community stronger......
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6826 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hi Michael!

I understand what you're saying. I worked as a radio DJ for almost 40 years. DJ's can be VICIOUS to each other, even though they are kind to the public!

DJ's and Magicians are very similar in that egos CAN be involved to a greater degree. Musicians will tell you the same thing. Some of the worst behavior can be found in female modeling competitions. It's pretty much "rivalry", plain and simple.

We try not to be like that, though. We put on the airs of "magicians helping magicians" and for the most part it works. A few get by, though, and that's what you're seeing. With over 50,000 members, posting more than 4,165,825 posts, one can see why. Heck there are more than 100 here right now (While I'm here)!

No, it's not really a "magic" problem. It's a HUMAN problem, and it rears its head in many situations.

And yeah, Valentino. There ya go. That's a good example of one bad egg...and ya know? He THINKS he did the right thing! Hope it was worth it.

When I started in magic back in the 70's, true, there was this feeling of belonging to a brotherhood a special club. I still feel that way. The Café has been the best "club" I've ever belonged to. There are worse places for magicians to gather, believe me! Smile

Doug
MichalMystic
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of MichalMystic
Great post Doug....but I still don't think my point getting across...yes there good and bad people..but the way we've taken magic and it being taught is harmful to the art. I also hate how Valantino been used twice now as a example...one let's get over it...two did any of you watch his shows.......the methods he supposed gave away 80% weren't even the real method magicians use....so to me the Valantino example is a wash.

I'm not talking about bad apples I'm talking about how in the last 10/15 years the leaders of magic have gone from teaching magic as art to more worried about the cloths and how they look...

Teaching and continue to teaching this way...and all is done is raise a generation of egos and whinners.
I understand you point about all the threads and so forth but that was over all the years....now I barely can find a helpful or good thread. I'm also not talking about just here I'm talking about the so called community of magic.

When I was learning magic I would have never and I mean never thought of exposing magic...that cause I was taught to respect the art...... today you find very little respect for the art and for others. To be honest is this there fault? Or is the fault of how magic has been taught and shown to them?


Awesome Dough thanks for the post!
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
This is what I do while perusing the Magic Café, if I see people calling others names like stupid, idiot, dumb, etc, I report the post as flaming. There is only a cupola spots that I've visited where people are doing that. I don't know if reporting the post does any good because I've gone back and the offending posts are still there. But if more than one person reports the posts, maybe the mods will get the message. Am I a tattletale? You bet your sweet bippy. I want kids and ladies to be interested in magic, and if they are seeing people arguing, well, who wants to be a part of that?
The wife called me to dinner, I'll be back in awhile to write more...
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27115 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2012-04-10 17:18, MichalMystic wrote:
How is that the magician have gone from being a close brotherhood to nothing but a bunch of ego maniacs and whiners?...


? When do you imagine the community was otherwise?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
I'm back....If I was a newcomer and I wanted to ask a question in that forum I might be afraid someone would call me stupid for asking a question.
Post your original first in the I Want to see the Manager thread. Tell them you don't like what you are seeing, that people are not following the rules as far as being civil to one another. You could even ask the managers if they need flaming moderators and you might be interested in doing that. Maybe other people would like to be a flaming mod. The guys in charge have a lot of area to cover and they can't be everywhere. so maybe they could use some help.
As far as community spirit in local clubs and getting along with one another, I don't have a clue what you could do about that.
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1625 Posts

Profile of randirain
Quote:
How is that the magician have gone from being a close brotherhood to nothing but a bunch of ego maniacs and whiners?


The internet has changed the way the entire world works.
Many things have gone the way of the dodo because of the internet.
Some things have been created because of the internet.

You are pretty correct in your thinking, but you also have to realize that they have always been there.
Just with the internet it makes it easier to notice.

Example...
People always talk about how violent the world is and how crime has gotten so bad.
Not true. Matter of fact, crime is down.
It's just that with the age of information it's a lot more noticeable.
In the "olden days" when a person goes on a killing rampage, the news barely leaves the surrounding areas.
Now, something happens on the other side of the planet and you hear about it within seconds.

Same thing with magic.
There has always been ego maniacs and whiners in magic.
Just now you are able to see them easier.

It's just evolution, and I must point out that you are "whining" about it. Smile
But seriously, you can always look at things the way you are looking at it.

It's like that old man saying, "I just don't understand today's music. When I was a kid...." blah blah blah etc etc etc.

The point is, it's not going to change, no since worrying about it.

The best thing to do is to find some good in it, and there is good in.
Like what?
How about that magic has never been so popular.
We have TV shows and movies, and magicians have work!!

So yeah, your brotherhood is over, but a whole new an exciting world has opened up.
Evolve with it, and it won't be so bad.

Randi
Image
Christopher Rinaldi
View Profile
Veteran user
348 Posts

Profile of Christopher Rinaldi
Man...you young people need to grow up.
Things have changed true, is it always the best thing? I see change most usually for the worst in this day and age, especially in people and in general they are all getting ****ywissy and could not survive on their own without modern technology. Crime is down? Hahahahahaha, yeah right. I live in a small town and if the rest of the world is the same or worse than....hmmmm.
And Randi, maybe it's time for the younger generation of America to start respecting the elders that came before them. We have been there, we have done that, yo, yo and all that young people crap my homie and stuff!
;)
I concur with the original post, someday when you young people hit your older years will you see the light and wish, which I'm sure you all already do that it was like the old days before all this stupid computer crap.
And yes, I hate the fact that computers runt he world and people are sooooo dependent on it for their knowledge and information, just google everything for your argument now...
Now where is my walker and medication dangit!?
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1625 Posts

Profile of randirain
Quote:
On 2012-04-15 01:32, Christopher Rinaldi wrote:
Man...you young people need to grow up.
Things have changed true, is it always the best thing? I see change most usually for the worst in this day and age, especially in people and in general they are all getting ****ywissy and could not survive on their own without modern technology. Crime is down? Hahahahahaha, yeah right. I live in a small town and if the rest of the world is the same or worse than....hmmmm.
And Randi, maybe it's time for the younger generation of America to start respecting the elders that came before them. We have been there, we have done that, yo, yo and all that young people crap my homie and stuff!
;)
I concur with the original post, someday when you young people hit your older years will you see the light and wish, which I'm sure you all already do that it was like the old days before all this stupid computer crap.
And yes, I hate the fact that computers runt he world and people are sooooo dependent on it for their knowledge and information, just google everything for your argument now...
Now where is my walker and medication dangit!?


Hahaha!!!
You believe what ever you want old man.

I'm sorry that the world isn't just the great place that you grew up in? :rollseyes:

But what ever you do...
Don't you dare look on the bright side.
Be negative, shake your cane at the kids, yell at them to get off your yard, and keep calling them whiners all while you are whining about the whiners.

Oh, and by the way...
I am 40 years old.
And yes... crime is down.
Image
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1352 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Quote:
I'm not talking about bad apples I'm talking about how in the last 10/15 years the leaders of magic have gone from teaching magic as art to more worried about the cloths and how they look...


Technically The whole world is like that now. Magicians are just humans in bad suits.

here is something interesting, I know someone who conducted an experiment with this forum. Sent some laymen here and told them to explore it and see what they thought. One report was that it looked like a lot of helpful advice and people trying to answer questions.

We see all of it because we are in it. Step away from it all a bit. Collectively in a large group people are going to suck. You want community? Find a small passel of performers you share the same ideas with and go from there. There are far too many varying opinions for everyone to get along.

Relax, take a deep breath, eat a cookie.... oh and GTF off the internet for a while.
Official Thread Killer
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
When I first came to the Café, I was helped by many good hearted people, I found a magic mentor who became a best friend and continues to teach me after 4 years of continued support. Justin Styles even sent me a case ( his own idea ) of D'lites to give to kids in the hospital out of the goodness of his heart, and we have never met. Ambitious Card owner, has had several talks with me about Ninja rings, and not because I was buying anything from him. I met many local magician friends as a result. I have found community.

I could go on and on...All I am saying, is because of this internet connection, I have fully fallen back in love with magic!!

THank you all who made this happen...thank you thank you thank you! Rob
Ut imago est animi voltus sic indices oculi ~
The face is a picture of the mind as the eyes are its interpreter ~Cicero
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
I don't see where the OP gave his age. In fact he has been a member of the Café for 10 years. And I don't understand why we have to berate someone because they are young and they ask a question. I have seen this in other areas of the Café where teenagers ask a question and they are told to "grow up." Isn't part of growing up receiving advice and counsel from elders? Getting old does not mean you have to be grumpy and a a-hole. But, if that's your thing, stay with it. You get back what you put out.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Why has magic stop being a community? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL