The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Why has magic stop being a community? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1650 Posts

Profile of randirain
It's all perspective.

Adults never like what the kids are doing.

Adults say, "I can't believe what kids are calling music today. It's horrible."
That's the exact same thing they said about Elvis.

And I must point out...

That you can't complain about the young kids today, tell them how wrong they are, call them names...
Like what ever the hell that is supposed to be "****ywissy"...
And then expect them to respect you because you are their elder.

Respect is earned, not mandated.

You would think after a hundred years you would learn that.
cmwalden
View Profile
Regular user
Cedar Park, TX
150 Posts

Profile of cmwalden
I read a book once which depicts a group discussing the qualities of a gentleman. In the forward of this book the author explains why he felt it was so important to capture this conversation. He talks about the youth and how they have no respect for tradition. Their dress is sloppy; they have no respect for the language; their music and dance is vulgar; they don't take things seriously and it will be a sad state of affairs when these people come into power.

The book is called "The Courtier", by Baldesar Castiglioni and it was published in 1528.

I've been involved in magic clubs since 1986, a babe compared to some. I did not get a mentor and no one helped put me on the path through the "community". The working professionals did not welcome a potential newcomer to their ranks and it was always polite (mostly) tolerance. Now that my artistic vision has broadened I feel I receive even less support, especially from the "old timers" because they have forgotten the powerful moments in our magical history and have largely joined the ranks of people who believe that entertainment is all about laughter and applause, leaving all of the remaining theatrical notes to other art forms.

The Internet has opened a remarkable doorway for our art. No longer are we forced to be lumped in with the clowns and the card jugglers if we don't fit there. No longer are things bound only by the principals laid out at the turn of the 20th century. We are able to find like minds, wherever they may be and have casual conversations about what we're doing, even face-to-face with video technology. That's remarkable! I find myself less interested in supporting some of the local activities because I'm no longer captive there.

I'm sorry that you are not finding what you want in the communities that you visit, but I respectfully suggest that you're just not looking in the right place. The same technology that troubles you can also connect you with people who share your most passionate interests and deeply held beliefs no matter where they are. If there's not a ready-made community you can start one with no cost but your time and effort. It might not be this green board here, but is that really important?
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

- William Shakespeare
MichalMystic
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of MichalMystic
Wow some really awesome post here guys!

I don't consider my post whining as much as wanted to get people opinions.

There been some really great post and some really good suggestion. As current I am trying to find some like minded people to jam with and share ideas here locally.

Now Ive seen it twice here said well you looking in the wrong place.... where else am I suppose to look but at the magic community... I'm not sure where else to look? Lol

Now I myself am 37 and think weather your young or so called old your opinions are still valid and should be listen. too. Now you don't have to agree to them but listen..take it in......

I also like how so many say oh that the way it is it never go to change...well of course not if don't try and make a change....heck if everyone had that attitude nazi's would be running the world.....when is it time for us to take responsibility?

Just cause thing are the way they are doesn't make it right or doesn't mean a change can't be made...would it be easy...heck no change is very rarely easy.....but in the end is normally always worth it.

Really in the end all I'm saying in 25 years Ive been at magic and 15 or so involved with internet magic and marketing...I'd really like to see a lot more respect for each other and the art....I guess in the end that's really it.
G. Batson
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of G. Batson
Its easy to find things that are wrong in magic or anywhere else. Sounds like you come here to get opinions. Maybe to agree with you? that's the thing about whining. OK to say whats wrong, but why not bring a solution to the discussion. What do YOU intend to do to make the situation better?
MichalMystic
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of MichalMystic
Actually I'm just expressing my opinion on what others have commented on. You must have not read my post right above yours when I mentioned that you should listen to everyone opinion even if you don't agree with it. I'm not here to get everyone to agree with me..just the opposite and I'm sure if you re read my posts you'll see this.

Your post almost proves my point instead of talking about what the threads about you take it to a personal level and attack me.

Now not that I actually wanted to talk about the project right now..but I do have something in the works to try and make a change..... so I'm not just here flapping my lips....

Now on another note...I just moved to a new city and attended my first local IBM meeting and seem like a great by bunch of people that love and respect magic. So that was very inspiring and looking forward to hosting some jams! Also won a ticket to David Acer lecture! So that was pretty wicked too!
G. Batson
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of G. Batson
No attack. Nothing personal. You started the thread saying magic has gone bad and gave many examples to prove it. Your opinion. You continue to say it is bad in following posts. Your opinion again and I respect that. Now please suggest how to change it.
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Quote:
On 2012-04-10 17:18, MichalMystic wrote:
Heck it even come to the point if you go into a magic shop for some help and god forbid you didn't buy off them...you get no help. I understand for them magic a business, but why did you open the shop in the first place? To help other to help the magic community. Next time think hey if I help this guy not only am I helping the magic community but, I bet next time they guy or girl needs some magic they'll be coming to you to buy!

Not that I own a magic shop; but if I did, I would make it point to talk to and say hello
to anyone who enteres my store. I would also be familiar with almost everything that I
am selling so that I could demonstrate and give the folks a feel of what to expect from
a product. I would also feature that something that I think is great. I would simply say,
"check this out" ; do the routine and let them know its in here. My goal is to build
a relationship and if they don't buy anything at that time; I would have faith that they
will be back to buy something. It basic salesmanship, I think. I am just curious why
shops don't do this at the most basic level?

Great post Mr. Mystic...
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
MichalMystic
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of MichalMystic
Quote:
On 2012-04-20 13:57, G. Batson wrote:
No attack. Nothing personal. You started the thread saying magic has gone bad and gave many examples to prove it. Your opinion. You continue to say it is bad in following posts. Your opinion again and I respect that. Now please suggest how to change it.

Once again do you read the comment right above your post.. I just mentioned that I had a very good experience at my first local meeting...nothing bad about that!

Now change..the way I try and make a change currently is the way I teach students and try and get them away from the MTV wrap up blanket and learn a good solid basis in magic. I find this give them more respect for the art and having to work at it by reading books or DVD like Metal gives them a respect for the art that I grew up with.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Why has magic stop being a community? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL