The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Convincing adults of the validity of ministry (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
How do you convince adults that gospel magic is not just limited to kids? If they only see you as doing kids ministry, how do you crack the ice and get a chance to do more? Smile
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Shadow
View Profile
Regular user
Akron, OH
171 Posts

Profile of Shadow
This is a tough one.
I know most of my contacts are looking to book me into children’s programs. I do however all most always bring up the fact that I do work for adults as well.
Even in my kid shows I do things that not only entertain adults but reach them also, I have had adults come forward during an alter call after a "KID SHOW".
I believe to be effective we must entertain and inform everyone at the show, so I try to involve adults as well as kids. Sometime the bright colors and jokes get the kids while the underlying message gets to the adults.
In short to answer your question, I just do the “kid show” and ask that the adult leaders be present, then after the show I make sure to talk with them.
Illusions4Life
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
128 Posts

Profile of Illusions4Life
Neale
This will not answer your question, however is my experience. For several years I would do the "children's message" at the front of the church, during morning services. The children would all come up and sit around and I would lead them in a bible lesson with an effect or two. The pastor that was at our church retired about 6 years ago and today I still get asked by the adults to come back and do the children's message.

Our church no longer does children's messages but the number of times I have been asked to talk to different adults groups in the church has grown. As I like to tell people who use that age old comment "I bet the kids just love your magic"...my response is "Yes they do and there is just a little kid in all of us."

Jim
HoudinFan
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of HoudinFan
If you want your gospel magic to appeal to adults I would strongly recommend that you look into what is commonly referred to as Bizzare Magic. The new Mystery School Book is an excellent tome to study for the psychology and structure of very powerful theatrical effects. Much can be found in the works of Doc Hilford as well which could be applied to gospel magic.
There really is little difference between Bizzare and gospel magic. They are more or less the same creature, just on opposite sides of the spectrum. They are both magic presented with meaning and or a message and if you can look past some of the darker overtones I am sure you will find much that you could apply to your calling.
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1142 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
I actually have to agree with the essence of Houdinifan's post. I typically skip the Bizzare magic articles in the magazines. But when a piece is presented well, I take note of the theatrical presentation and the mood created. Case in point: at the 2000 SAM convention I saw Eugene Burger perform his version of the Gypsy Thread. While I am not a fan of his philosophy on life, I also realized that he presented a piece of magic that touched people on an emotional level. My immediate thought was, "Wow, if gospel magic was performed like that--what an impact it could have."

Now, I'm not going to throw punches at gospel performances, but it is a performance designed to move people to action regarding their walk with Jesus. So, let's make it as persuasive as possible. That means touching not only the intellect (information) but also touching the emotions (mood created).

Scott Smile .
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Convincing adults of the validity of ministry (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL