The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The October 2003 entrée: Joshua Jay » » Age » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

montz
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of montz
To what extent do you think your age contributed to your success, at the time of the release of Magic Atlas in particular?

Liam.
Joshua Jay
View Profile
V.I.P.
196 Posts

Profile of Joshua Jay
That’s a good question and one I can’t really answer for certain. Being young definitely helped because it was something else that set me apart from the pack. The fact is, there aren’t a lot of young magicians being ambitious in magic. There are some—and more now than, say, five years ago, but there is still ample opportunity for young guys to step up and get recognized.

It’s a double-edged sword too. In one sense, my age helped me immensely. I got gigs and worked conventions all over the world, filling the “young talent” criteria that so many planners look for. I was a novelty because I had an act AND I was 15 (or 17 or 20 or whatever). Having a book published at 17 was like a ticket to corners of the world I had never even heard of…and 48 countries later, I feel honored and thankful to have had these opportunities that age (and some hard work) helped me achieve.

On the other hand, those who have seen me perform in the last two years have noticed a big change. A big part of my character—my “thing”—was my youth. Read the first chapter in Magic Atlas and you’ll know what I’m talking about. Signature routines for me like the Remote Control, the Paintbrush, the Journal, etc. all played so well for a young, teenage magician. I found, however, that they don’t play as well now. So, I’ve been adapting those routines (or in some cases retiring them reluctantly) in favor of things that fit me better now. I worked the castle in early September and I think I surprised some people who had seen me before. I hadn’t been on the west coast in a while, and my set was more subdued, and the material a little more mature (I hope). I can’t get away with the kid stuff anymore, and that’s a great, healthy thing. I’m enjoying learning about myself and the new opportunities age is opening up. And yes, I’ve retired the bright red suit in place of a more, shall we say, conservative print (I’ll never live the cover of Magic Atlas down).

Thanks for asking,
Josh
Vilago
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Vilago
Josh,

Taking this a bit further, some reviewers (I'm thinking of one in particular) of your first book commented on your age and suggested that one so young couldn't have much to say regarding presentation, and that it was rather presumptious of you to presume you did (their comments, not mine)...did this caution on the part of "established" magicians to take you seriously pose a difficult hurdle to overcome?

Do you find that an increase in age brings an increase in respect, regardless of your obvious skill?

Dan
Vilago
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Vilago
BTW, I ask because I started in magic at a young age. Like you, I found that to be a strength when booking gigs, yet I discovered that my magical peers seemed to treat me lightly, despite the fact that I was working steadily.

I'm just wondering if you saw the same thing?

Dan
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Having just purchased Josh's book (when he was here in Seattle to lecture) I think anyone who made that comment hadn't read the book.

Magic Atlas is a perfect example for young magicians to follow. It shows how a young person can create original presentations that fit his age. His "Remote Control" card routine in particular is a gem for a young male magician as it plays with the america male stereotype in a great way.

I recall seeing a young person recently perform the sub truck illusion after telling the audience that the (obviously brand new) box on stage had originally belonged to Harry Houdini!

Reading Josh's routines were in Magic Atlas were a breath of fresh air. If only more young magicians would focus on creating a real and meaningful persona and forget about being the "fastest hands"
Joshua Jay
View Profile
V.I.P.
196 Posts

Profile of Joshua Jay
Hello,
The review you mention was unfair, as that reviewer often is, and that renders this question difficult. One wonderful aspect about the magic fraternity is that (theoretically) age doesn't matter.
I have almost always been treated as an equal by other magicians, and I think I would sound ungrateful if I complained about a few isolated moments where I have been discarded as “a kid.” Instead, I just remain thankful to all the people who have been able to look past my age and read or watch me through an unbiased lens.

There are two contrasting life lessons I learned that pertain to this thread.

1. There is not a direct correlation between age and ingenuity. If there were, then Woody Allen’s latest film would be his best (which it isn’t). Picasso’s last painting isn’t his masterpiece. Our field, like any other, produces great work from great minds of all ages. Looking back at some of my favorite creators of present day (Roth, Sankey, Williamson, on and on), many of their “signature” pieces were created at a very young age. I certainly don’t mean to compare myself to any of these gentlemen or to profess that I have something to offer in the same vein. I do, however, dismiss anyone’s assertion that young people shouldn’t create or publish.

2. Quite the opposite of the first point, I think it is in place to also make the opposite argument: there is no substitute for experience. Are there things in the first chapter of Magic Atlas I wish I would not have written? Yes. If I had the chance to change aspects of my book, would I edit differently? Yes. Looking back, was publishing my book at that age a mistake? No. The Magic Atlas represents how I was thinking at that time, and virtually all of the material in the book is still in my daily repertoire (and my lecture). The material has served me well and I’m proud to share it in bound form with the fraternity.

While I’m optimistic about the creativity of youth, I’ve also learned not to underestimate the value of experience. I did walk-around venues until my fingers hurt for a period of years. During that period, I used the same 12 or so effects over and over and over and over—I worked them. In fact, I worked them until it wasn’t fun any more. But, I got proficient at those effects, and that experience is priceless.

To anyone reading the above two guidelines, I understand that it may sound misleading. I apologize. I find magic is about balance. I’ll always be puzzled at how I created two of my favorite original effects within the first three years I was interested in magic—I knew NOTHING then, and yet I created and honed two of my favorite pieces (Shrunken Revelation from my book and an unpublished item). Now, after many shows, books, pamphlets, and hours of pondering, I sometimes struggle creatively. Certainly experience alone isn’t helping me through each day. At the same time, I find I can approach tricks now with a maturity I didn’t have five or six years ago. It’s finding a balance between these two “statements” that will help you—at least I hope so.

Joshua Jay
Vilago
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Vilago
Josh,

Thanks for a very intelligent (and correct, I think) answer. I agree with you 100% on both points...

Dan
MField2000
View Profile
Special user
Hastings, East Sussex, England
590 Posts

Profile of MField2000
Hi, Josh! It is great seeing you here at the Café.

I've met Josh twice and seen him in a performance I really enjoyed (and reviewed it that way). I have the greatest respect for him. Working on magic, writing a monthly column of magic tricks (photo illustrated) and travelling around the world would keep anyone busy, but Josh does this and attends college as well.

Regarding the infamous review of "Magic Atlas" by a reviewer whose initals are Jamy Ian Swiss, I think Jamy was reacting in part to the amount of experience (or lack of it) Josh had chalked up at that point in time -- not his age (although the two are obviously related). To Jamy, the point of a book should be the passing down of hard-won knowledge, and I think Jamy felt that Josh was not yet seasoned enough to be able to make those judgements. That's my take on the matter, not any quote from Mr. Swiss.

But that's Jamy, god love him.

Me, I appreciate Josh's enthusiasm, his multi-faceted talent, his serious concern for our Art, and his extraordinary dexterity.

Keep up the good work, Josh. And get that diploma!

Matt Field
Jason Wethington
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, Fl
615 Posts

Profile of Jason Wethington
I remember the first time I met Josh at a Magi-Fest maybe six or seven years ago. He struck me as very knowledgeable for someone his age. He also had great chops then. After reading Josh's book I questioned some of the things he had written about performing (I had been performing professionally for about 5 years at the time) I chalked it up to the inexperience of youth. One of my buds here in Florida is another young talented magician named Kostya Kimlat and some of the ideas he published a few years ago concerning performance have changed with time. Youth is a wonderful thing, older magicians sometimes forget the exuberance of the younger set.
Having a book like the 'Atlas' detailing the thought process of a young talented magician is helpful. It allows those in the same type of situation to realize that their thoughts are important and one so young can have a voice.

Now about that suit...
Jason
Vilago
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Vilago
Quote:
On 2003-10-03 11:13, Jason Wethington wrote:
Having a book like the 'Atlas' detailing the thought process of a young talented magician is helpful. It allows those in the same type of situation to realize that their thoughts are important and one so young can have a voice.

Jason

Jason,

I absolutely agree. It annoys me to no end to see older magicians treat younger, less "seasoned" magicians as if they should not speak until spoken to...and I'm 34 Smile

Dan
Joshua Jay
View Profile
V.I.P.
196 Posts

Profile of Joshua Jay
Thanks for the kind words Matt, Jason, Dan, and all. I'm flattered.

Josh
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The October 2003 entrée: Joshua Jay » » Age » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL