The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Histed Heisted with Tamariz stack (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Davidmagicman
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Davidmagicman
Hi!
I wonder if there is a version of Histed Heisted for the Tamariz stack?

Many thanks/
David The Magicman
/

David The Magicman
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3866 Posts

Profile of JanForster
If you would know a memorized stack you wouldn't ask... It's stack independent! Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
mindexplorer
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of mindexplorer
Maybe he knows a memorized stack, but doesn't know Histed Heisted very well. But Jan is correct, of course. The trick is stack independent. Even the updates are stack independent. This is definitely one trick where you have to know the stack "cold" or it could get ugly fast.
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
826 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
You could have a crib on a card
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2012-04-26 16:26, bunkyhenry wrote:
You could have a crib on a card

There was a crib sheet version that Jeff Busby released about 15-20 years ago. I'll be darned if I can remember the name of this effect but, Jeff credited it to a very well-known magician/mentalist at the time and Jeff included this performer's name in the title of the effect. My recollection is that this famous magician.mentalist performed sometime in the 30s to the 50s and that this effect was ostensibly his closing effect. The picture I remember in the Jeff Busby instructions was that of a slender elegant magician dressed in a tuxedo.

I'd love to have a Café member jog my memory as to both the name of this effect and the famous magician.

Thanks a lot.

Mike

P.S. And no, I am not thinking of Louis Histed.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
3866 Posts

Profile of JanForster
It was the Paul Fox gimmick. Clever idea, but it never can substitute your memory as you are free, can do it everywhere and you act simply far better. If somebody wants to read (and avoid miscalls) I suggest to let the spectator who collect the cards shuffle the deck and then to sw....h the entire deck with a deck arranged in calling order.. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2012-04-27 17:13, JanForster wrote:
It was the Paul Fox gimmick. Clever idea, but it never can substitute your memory as you are free, can do it everywhere and you act simply far better. If somebody wants to read (and avoid miscalls) I suggest to let the spectator who collect the cards shuffle the deck and then to sw....h the entire deck with a deck arranged in calling order.. Jan

Thanks, Jan.

I have this item buried somewhere but I gave it up a long time ago after learning a memorized deck (Aronson) and then learninging Histed Heisted. As I tried to recall the name of the item (Paul Fox Miracle Gimmick?), I kept keying on the name "Paul" but kept following through with the name "Daniels"...which I knew was incorrect. (grin) Thanks for the correct answer. I can now get this nagging thought out of my head and move onto something else.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
826 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
Jan has a good point. I do not have a spectator up with me as I call the shuffled cards. Is there a reason to do so?
I use this crib.
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
826 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
Can I post a pic from Iphone 4 here? Cant seem to do it.
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
826 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
3866 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
On 2012-04-28 10:52, bunkyhenry wrote:
Jan has a good point. I do not have a spectator up with me as I call the shuffled cards. Is there a reason to do so?
I use this crib.

Yes, a few... One is that you have somebody who sees and proves (not expressly, but still) what you are claiming to do Smile. Besides that he has collected the cards for you (strong point), so he is there anyway, he helps while you do the deck sw...h, e. g. using the box as you want to give the deck to him as a present... Only then you get an idea in which order you want to read minds, in randomness of HIS shuffle... But to be honest I'm already further. I use a different technique meanwhile which has been published (until now unfortunately only in German) and is used by some at least good names in our business. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
3866 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
On 2012-04-28 10:52, bunkyhenry wrote:
I use this crib.

I've sent a pm. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Danny Archer
View Profile
V.I.P.
Philly
619 Posts

Profile of Danny Archer
I published my version of the P Fox Miracle Gimmick called OutFoxed years ago in my first set of lecture notes.

In my version the audience can see the cards as they are called off. All that is used are the two decks and if you eliminate the false shuffles, it is a self working effect (no memory work) that duplicates the original effect 100% but is much easier to do.

This killed when I did it in my lecture, especially when I told them it was a self working effect. Needless to say, it plays great for the lay audience. The hardest part of the effect is justifying why you are calling from a second deck.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
3866 Posts

Profile of JanForster
That's why I do a deck sw..ch Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Nick Pudar
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of Nick Pudar
I used to use a small crib as shown in the picture link below.

http://www.pudar.com/images/HistedHeistedCrib.jpg

It was laminated, and I would hold it in place with my left thumb while my right hand removed cards one at a time while they were mis-called. It was easy to palm and get in place. It was a good crutch to use in the early performances to give me a bit of extra confidence. It is easy to make, and I only used it three or four times before I felt confident to perform it clean.

This is a great trick, and absolutely worth the effort to learn.

In the original post, there was a question about whether HH worked with the Tamariz Stack. Of course, it is stack independent -- however, there is a consideration to be aware of. My first memorized deck was the Joyal Stack, due to its ease of learning. When I read HH in Aronson's book, I knew that I had to perform it. However, when you set up the deck to hand out the groups of cards to the spectators, the Joyal Stack has some unfortunate properties. Quite a few of the card groups had some very non-random looking sequences, such as four-of-a-kind, etc. I corresponded with Martin Joyal, and he did have a work-around solution, but it seemed too complicated for me, especially as I was intimidated by the original trick, let alone additional adjustments to remember. So I ended up learning the Aronson Stack, just so that I could perform HH. I'm glad I did.

Nick
Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.
www.stackview.com Version 5.0 is available!
Nick Pudar
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of Nick Pudar
I was just rummaging around in my magic cupboards, and found a small stash of the Histed Heisted cribs that is shown in the previous post's link. PM me if you are serious about performing this routine and would like me to send you one of the cribs. Some details about it: 1) two of the corners are rounded so that you can obtain the correct orientation in your pocket to palm it; 2) the laminated side is smooth, and the back is very rough, agian to assist in ensuring it is oriented correctly when you palm it for the routine; 3) the smooth side is the one that your thumb will be in contact with, and it is tacky, while the back, with its rougher surface actually glides easily across the card faces when you are mis-calling them. As I said in the earlier post, this is a nice crutch to get you past the first few performances while you build your confidence.
Best regards,
Nick
Steve Haynes
View Profile
Inner circle
Southeastern United States
1087 Posts

Profile of Steve Haynes
A deck switch is very helpful(and subtle) in this effect.
I use a mem deck,but HH does not need one if a DS is done,just a randomly shuffled deck and a second decks order displaced correctly to the first deck per instructions of HH,starting with deck two and using D1 to finish.

Just saing no reason why someone who has not memorized a deck could not do HH,or their MD produces poor results for HH.

After all,with a DS,everything is in order,so you have your cue/open index staring you in the face.

The hardest part of HH with a DS is the DS,which is about as friendly of a DS effect you will find,as the deck is not changing color and so forth.Very subtle and no red flags for the spectators,as there is no reason for a DS to enter their mind with this type of effect.

Of course,thats no reason not to learn a MD.

S
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
I've done Histed Heisted for years. I've never used a crib nor felt the need to have a spectator looking at the deck as I call the cards. I've always done it with the Aronson Stack and was a little surprised to hear of the difficulty of doing it with the Joyal Stack.

If you want a powerful stand-up mentalism piece it's hard to beat. I've added a couple of my own ideas which you can read about on my web site. Just go to: http://www.loomismagic.com and click on the link to "Memorized Deck Articles" at the top of the home page. Then click on article 2.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Nick Pudar
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of Nick Pudar
Dennis,

When I first started learning Histed Heisted with the Joyal Stack, I was troubled by the fact that two of the spectators held cards that contained "four of a kind", and four other spectators had cards that contained the Jack, Queen, and King of the same suit. I wanted to avoid any possible hint of anyone thinking that the cards handed out were anything but random. As I had indicated I nthe earlier post, Martin had an elegant solution for this problem, but I do not remember what it was, other than the fact that it added more complexity than I wanted to contend with while I was still mustering the courage to perform this routine.

You are correct when you say that this mentalism piece is hard to beat. For those of you who have not read Dennis' article on this topic, you really need to see how a great effect is made even stronger with innovative thinking.

Nick
J-L Sparrow
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of J-L Sparrow
Quote:
On May 28, 2012, Danny Archer wrote:
In my version the audience can see the cards as they are called off. All that is used are the two decks and if you eliminate the false shuffles, it is a self working effect (no memory work) that duplicates the original effect 100% but is much easier to do.

This killed when I did it in my lecture, especially when I told them it was a self working effect. Needless to say, it plays great for the lay audience. The hardest part of the effect is justifying why you are calling from a second deck.

I just realized a few days ago that you could use a second deck (obviously in memdeck order) to call out the cards, just as you said. And I came up with two different justifications for a second deck:

1. You say, "I don't want you to think that I'm examining the cards you handled for any marks or bends you may have subconsciously placed on your chosen card."

or:

2. You give them each an (opaque) envelope with instructions that they are to place their chosen card inside the envelope and seal it shut. You tell them that you don't want the incomplete deck to give you clues as to which cards are in the envelopes, so you'll use a completely separate and shuffled deck to help you run through the cards. (They'll open the envelopes once you reveal their card, and you can have them hold up both cards to show that they match.)

The advantage of the first option is that the spectator merely thinks of their card, which nobody else could possibly know, even by examining the physical evidence.

The advantage of the second option is that the spectators can't lie about their choice. Not only that, but other spectators will be 100% sure that you were correct by having both cards shown at the same time.

I've yet to try Histed Heisted (I haven't scrounged up an audience big enough yet), but maybe some day I'll try it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Histed Heisted with Tamariz stack (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL