The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Rejection and fear in magic (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
View Profile
1988 - 2013
The Big Brother is watching you
1095 Posts

Profile of Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
I bought that suit/jacket. I have matching dress pants and shirt to go with it. Not having muchluck yet, even for a volunteer position. What's wrong with me? Am I not good enough for them? people do live music there. Why can't I do magic? I don'T want tips. I j just want to bring a smile to other peoples faces. I emailed 5 restaurants and went into each. strated. Not giving up..
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

Also tried 3 hospitals. All said no.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2458 Posts

Profile of critter
If it's experience you're after, and you don't mind doing a good deed in the process, try nursing homes.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers

"This I offer in explanation of how it was that I found myself in my undergarments as I sat in my cell attempting to plot my escape."
~Professor Phineas Valeyard, Miskatonic University Dept.of Psychodynamic Natural History.

New Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/Valeyard-Magic-Stage-233226717588438/
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

Ill try that again. I tried 2 I could find in my area. Both never called me back after I filled out the application.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2458 Posts

Profile of critter
So then you could always call them back. If it's what you really want to do then why wait around for someone else to make it happen?
Around here they're always very eager to have more entertainers come in to the homes so I'm sure they won't be annoyed if you give them follow-up call.
~Will Rogers

"This I offer in explanation of how it was that I found myself in my undergarments as I sat in my cell attempting to plot my escape."
~Professor Phineas Valeyard, Miskatonic University Dept.of Psychodynamic Natural History.

New Facebook Page:
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

This was some while back. Thanks. I'll try again
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2458 Posts

Profile of critter
Right on, man. You got this.
~Will Rogers

New Facebook Page:
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3231 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Persistence is the key to many things in life.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
Bringing magic into places used to music can be tricky. (no pun intended)

It's sort of like being an opening act to a crowd waiting for the headliner....

Of course it is possible to win them over..In fact some opening comedy acts(magic included) were not wanted after a while by the headliner...because they were the (magic/comedy) were better than the headliners....

Keep growing and glowing...Finding your niche can take time, but when you do...it's priceless.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

Well I did it. Tommorrow from 6 to 9 at applebees. Thre other manager said to leave my number, he never manager today was really cool. He said no problem. So think tuesdays is kids night too. They should like the spo jones bodyloading sequence (not sure if that'll work in a coin , purse frame, giant sponge, jacket and dress stuff have to change my patter theme... Not everyone has me atmosphere.. Any advice on any of this? Thanks
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

Well that didn't come out right at all..
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
Don't know if you know this, from what I read it seems you don't.
When you fill out an app for a job, the first thing 85% of employer's do with the applications for a job is wait for the applicant to call back.
I used to work in personal at ASU(Arizona State University).
We never did call backs...ever. It's up to you to get the ball rolling.
My advice is call every place you applied at, and ask if they are considering you for this position.
Straight up STFS...the applicant always MUST do the call back if you want to get the next step in the interview process rolling.
I tossed hundreds of apps away a week due to non call backs. always make your call back withing 24hrs of the app. If you get a no response, call back within 48hrs after your first call...it works.
Employers look for this in their employee's, it shows that you truly want the job and are not out pushing paper.
Try it, be extremely aggressive, gotta remember there are 100's of people pushing paper everyday, and the Interviewer's know how to filter out the weeds.

Like I asked before, why not just set up on the streets and do your work...forget about working somewhere atm, keep on filling out apps...but just go outside and do your work on a busy street corner...Busking little Bro...Busking
You will get way more detailed experience that way than in a store, shop, or restaurant.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
I suggest (if you haven't been there) stopping by the table hoppers section.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewf......=5&89553

Harris
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2747 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2012-05-01 00:28, Strange Tasting Fish Sticks wrote:
Well that didn't come out right at all..

:)
"Every thought you think, word you speak, and action you take proceeds from either love or fear. Peace and upset, innocence and guilt, healing and illness all spring from that one fundamental choice." Alan Cohen
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2747 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2012-05-01 10:02, Octopus Sun wrote:
Like I asked before, why not just set up on the streets and do your work...

Not always quite that simple. ie. permit requirements, etc.
You're doing great with the restaurant angle, Kevin. Set up to ensure you're comfortable- you don't need a lot of stuff, but having some backup effects on hand gives you some insurance. Stay on solid footing for this first gig. You'll find out quickly what's effective for your audience. Have fun and they will, too!
"Every thought you think, word you speak, and action you take proceeds from either love or fear. Peace and upset, innocence and guilt, healing and illness all spring from that one fundamental choice." Alan Cohen
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
Reset and pocket management is important to this nearly normal guy, during strolling gigs.

Also be aware of angles from sitting patron,(as you know) are much different than if all are standing around you.

Happy learning. ..then pass what you learn on...to others...and of course to yourself....

Harris
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
Permits are easy in some places and difficult in others to obtain, that's still no excuse Laurie.
That's just plain being lazy not taking the time to do what is required to fulfill a dream.
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Online mentoring kinda sucks and may only confuse more - I wish you somehow had in-person tutoring or something. Armchair quarterbacking magic of all things just does not work well - You seem to have enough common sense to navigate through since you obviously have no reference to go against which is what your building now. And please drop that need to fail 10x a day - very counter productive and negative as someone earlier pointed out.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2747 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2012-05-01 12:34, Octopus Sun wrote:
Permits are easy in some places and difficult in others to obtain, that's still no excuse Laurie.
That's just plain being lazy not taking the time to do what is required to fulfill a dream.

Well, you got the extremely aggressive down. Kevin just started scouting restaurants and he's got a chance to perform very quickly. No one's advocating laziness, and it's certainly not in my repertoire.
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-05-01 13:00, rklew64 wrote:
Online mentoring kinda sucks and may only confuse more - I wish you somehow had in-person tutoring or something. Armchair quarterbacking magic of all things just does not work well - You seem to have enough common sense to navigate through since you obviously have no reference to go against which is what your building now. And please drop that need to fail 10x a day - very counter productive and negative as someone earlier pointed out.
I didn't want to. I meant it different. I'm very fortunate to have the mentor I have online..of couse in person would always be better. Thanks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Rejection and fear in magic (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL