The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Rejection and fear in magic (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
View Profile
1988 - 2013
The Big Brother is watching you
1095 Posts

Profile of Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
Not fear of failure. Everytime I mess up a trick, I thank the spectator for catching me and letting me know. And I learn from it. If I can't,and eventually if I notice a pattern I ask myself what I'm doing wrong from their viewpoint. Then an idea comes and I fix it. I re watch the performance over and over on the dvd, paying close attention to every detail. I make a goal to "fail" 10 times a day. But how can I get better, if fear keeps holding me back? I've never even attempted a competition. I promised ponta id do his vanish when would get the chance to audition for the magic castle. I think my presentation must have gotten better recently. I need to improve it better through a more consistant theme. although I value smooth ness much, I have to be myself. I can't be ponta. ponta told me my magic strengths is more of like an actor. I can do eric jones bodyloading sequence well now. I can be a put pocket magician with coins and sponge balls. I always loved pickpocketing and coin magic. Why not combine them?
jedoonatmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
FL/residing temp. TX
228 Posts

Profile of jedoonatmagic
STFS, do what you think is right for YOU. You can't do other's work and try to be another version of them. Practicing, it's always best with strangers because they will give you the best feedback. Especially if it's a tough crowd. Another thing to always do too is push, push your limits. See what and how much you can get away with. Doing so will give you the skill of gauaging. Gauaging your audience enough to where it makes you a very adaptable performer. All of this is based on my own experiences. I haven't competed yet either. But I think I might try it soon, just for kicks. Winning or losing won't matter. I hope that you do get over all fears. I think once you overcome your fears, smoothness will emerge. Best of luck my friend!

TJ
One for the money...., 2 for a pass..., 3 for a Fly..., and 4 for matrix!
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

Thank you. Ill keep reading my showmanship book. Also I think bodyloading with coins is most fun, challenging for me. I fail it a little bit, but I'm getting better. Finding out my best qualities and doing that is difficult. My book says to ask people you know which actor or celebrity that I remind them of. But that it's the one that least flatters you that you sometimes should take note the most.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8422 Posts

Profile of Mb217
At the end of the day, it's all practice Fish. Smile Eventually, you can't do things by instruction, you just gotta feel your way. I agree that getting caught sometimes teaches great lessons but it's not meant to be a part of the act. It's meant to be more of an experience for you to come to realize your own flaws. It shouldn't be something you strive or plan to do as a goal. You should plan to succeed in everything you do first and foremost. And while I like books, etc., it's when you begin not to rely on the book/instructions that much that you start better learning this stuff in real application. When most of the trick is YOU and not just someone telling you what to do or how best to do it, well that's when you will begin to do it good-better-best.

It's attitude that determines altitude. Smile Keep moving forward my friend and trust yourself. That's all everyone else did as to any eventual real successes they experienced. Smile
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
You make it a goal to fail "10 time a day"

this is where you are going wrong, stop being so negative.
you'll never get through the gate of Life with an attitude like this.
all your posts show this attitude STFS
you have the skills kid, just change your attitude.
you are still very young and have a lot to learn as you have stated.
it's just that your attitude towards yourself just needs to change.
big time
not being mean, just want to see you, a great kid, do your best
forget the duds you meet, they are nothing

you have a deep understanding!
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3231 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Fish, Keep your goal in mind. "Failure" should not be intentional, but an aspect of what you have to tolerate on your way to success. My piano students hit a LOT of wrong notes as they learn a song. They recognize the wrong notes then do their best to correct them on their way to producing the song. Keep your end goal in mind.

I recently performed a coin routine for David Neighbors. I worked on it for months. I was really nervous. Started showing David the routine and kept forgetting things. So I crashed and burned. And decided on the spot to throw the whole thing out. David showed me other ideas, better ideas, to work toward my GOAL.

Hope this helps you.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2747 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2012-04-21 09:35, Strange Tasting Fish Sticks wrote:
...My book says to ask people you know which actor or celebrity that I remind them of...

Interesting you mention this, Kevin. Since viewing your recent clip, I've been thinking you reminded me of Ricky Paull Goldin, and wondering if I should tell you so. Smile

http://youtu.be/cbAYh7Fd1Bs

http://youtu.be/1xvRf0CY16o
"Every thought you think, word you speak, and action you take proceeds from either love or fear. Peace and upset, innocence and guilt, healing and illness all spring from that one fundamental choice." Alan Cohen
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3231 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Magicalaurie, you are always so resourceful!
TH

Occupy Your Dream
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

I think I was misunderstood.sorry. I don't make it a goal to fail. But when I do get caught I get better because I learn what I did wrong. I'm making a plan and sticking with it. Actually, when it comes to my magic I'm really positive, to myself, I'm my worst enemy.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
If you are working anything can happen.

One of the best tools in my magic bag, is the years with an improvisational troupe.
Mirror or room practice, prepares me for the real world. An the real world prepares me for more room and "real world" shows.

"I'm my worst enemy", reminds me of the Pogo quote...We have met the enemy ..and he is us.

When playing a song at a gig, I used to only remember the 3 notes I missed in a 4 minute song.
When I practice these days, if I mess up I go back to the beginning or the routine(magic or music).
In the real world...we just go on. With a remark, or not. Working without " a net", is exciting. My wife, (aka Annette) gives me great support in the theatrical thinking ..pre and post. She is also one to remind me to "let go", both learning experiences and what I see as A +++ shows. I (we) are more than just the time in our magic/music.

Harris
who is working on a puppet/dog routine....Arf-the dog (to Harris) I can smell the fear on myself.(line from a New Yorker cartoon)
Arf=abtinence,recovery and freedom....taken from an upcoming O.A. conference in July 2012
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

Arf....... Barf dog?heh, I had to
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26943 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
STFS- there's a book, Games People Play, that you might find useful.

For most this book serves as a guide in noticing and then picking one's transactions to avoid the ones they find unproductive. For you, it might serve as a menu of strategies to use when engaging the audience. Finding the right match of magical payoff and character work to make a trick work best for you is very close to finding the right game to play at a party.

Magic can be a con game where you trick them into being entertained. It's your game. Pick your game. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

Jonathan, I'll look it up and consider it. Thank you. I think right now I am doing very well connecting to the audience and entertaining, I'm not giving myself enough credit - I've seem to grown a lot since IMX. Now, I do need to find something, a niche, or something, that I do well that's me, myself, and stick with it. I can't be a carbon copy of everyone else. That frusterates me the most. I often ask myself, "Who am I?"

thanks Jonathan.
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

Why worry about the future? It hasn't come yet. If I let the now pass....the future will come either way. If I'm so focused on the future and the what ifs, so worried of rejection, I will miss out on life everyday. I must focus on now. The moment is the only thing I've control over. Why worry anymore?
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8422 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Well you shouldn't worry or over think things, or take yourself too seriously. It's one day at a time alright but the future is the stuff of dreams, a place where hope springs eternal, actually the motivating essence of life...The future is as important as today or yesterday to actively participate in. Smile This life doesn't allow for any partial participation, you must live it all to enjoy the best of it or the less of it. Its always up to you, as a man thinketh...Keep moving forward Fish my friend.
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
British Columbia
1406 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Your attitude rather than your aptitude witll determine your altitude. Instead of trying to fail 10 times during the day try thinking of 10 things you did right. You will be amazed. Remember that practice does not make perfect. PERFECT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT.

Ray
EnterTRAINment at its best. Keeping the Magic Alive in Northern BC
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
Attitude before the gig, during and after is important to this nearly normal guy.

Sometimes on the way to work(whether to my counseling or Doctor of Laughology Programs) I will use the first letter on street signs to think of things I am grateful or good at.

An attitude of gratitude can go well in every day life and a side benefit is more return gigs.
It seems more important than being able to release 4 or 5 coins one at a time from c/p.

Harris
these days trying to release 5-7 coins one at a time..while taking each moment and day at a time...
still too old to know everything...
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
British Columbia
1406 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Releasing your troubles one at a time is beneficial to our well being. attitude is a state of mine. If we remember the saying `Mind over matter`... If we don`t mind... it doesn`t matter. But... I digress.

Ray
EnterTRAINment at its best. Keeping the Magic Alive in Northern BC
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

I DO believe with all my heart that I will keep moving forward, and compete for FISM one day, and achieve my dreams working professionally and being the best magician I can be. I DO believe (and have,despite self doubt sometimes) that I can acheive anything I set my mind to. I don't ever tell myself in my magic, "I can't do that." I Can do anything, if I set my mind to it. The sky is the limit. This is my attitude. I'm not dismissing anyone, I just wanted to say that that's how I feel. When I saw Ponta's vanish 2 years ago, it was the most beautiful thing to me , the best trick I ever saw. I didn't say to myself when I watched the video and realized how difficult it was, "I can't do this. It's impossible." I said to myself, "I will succeed in this no matter what. I will practice in 3 hours everyday, as long as it takes, to get it as smooth as Ponta. If it takes 10 years, it will take 10 years, but I will do it." The problem arises in trying to be as smooth as *ponta*. Ponta is unique, I'm unique. We all have different styles. No matter how hard I try, my movements will always look a little different. I have to do MY best. Because I can't compare to others, no matter how hard I try, I won't be as good as Ponta, because I will be as good as Kevin.

Today was a great day. I had this fear eating me up for months. I was afraid of going into a restaurant and asking if they would hire a magician (me). I was afraid they would say no. I knew this fear was ridiculous, but it paralyzed me. Then I thought to myself, "You don't know if you don't try. And if you fail, try, try again."

And I was surprised. He said they had a clown but he had injuries and they didn't know for sure if he was going to make it on Tuesday. On tuesday they do kids night. I thought it would be fantastic if I could do my sponges. People love the sponges, and always told me kids would like them, I think so too.

He asked for my name and number and said he'd give me a call if the guy couldn't make it.

I walked away happy knowing I tried, got over my fear, and had a possibility to volunteer and get more experience in a restaurant. And that's what magic is about to me - making others day. It makes my day too. The manager didn't want to see any magic though.
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

Doug brewer told me one way to get over my fear is to perform as much as possible. Screw the fear. I"m taking his advice. It won't hurt to try. And do my best to try, worse they can say is no. I'm going to get over this.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Rejection and fear in magic (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL