The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The October 2003 entrée: Joshua Jay » » "Hanging Coins" - The last vanish » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Johannes Pohl
View Profile
New user
Germany
23 Posts

Profile of Johannes Pohl
Hi Joshua,

just so you know, I was one of the guys that went with you (and Denis Behr) to the "Unterton" theater to meet some of the "Fertigen Finger" after the lecture in Munich, Germany.
Anyway… in the course of said lecture, you performed a very nice “Hanging Coins"-type of routine using a flipper coin and a shell. At the very end, the last coin disappeared completely by means of "time" (if you know what I’m alluding to Smile ), leaving your hands to be shown almost freely from both sides. Unfortunately, the routine is not explained in the lecture notes and sadly, I don't recall the exact movements of the hands to make the last "coin packet" vanish "completely".
To make a long story short, here's my actual question: Could you either tell me how it's done in a few words (maybe via PM) or point me to a source where I can learn this particular move (or the entire routine) in detail?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards from Munich!
Kind Regards

Johannes Pohl
¬ http://www.2-serious.de
Joshua Jay
View Profile
V.I.P.
196 Posts

Profile of Joshua Jay
Hello and good to talk to you!
The night he is referring to was a lot of fun. When I lectured in Munich, there was a performance going on at a theater downtown with Thomas Fraps and other Flicking Fingers, and it was great to see them work for real people--and hanging out afterward was great.

Okay, about the vanish. It uses the watch, as you alluded to. I have a whole chapter on vanishes with the watch in my book, Magic Atlas. I use it as a hold-out for cards, to switch coins, to vanish coins, coin and silk move, etc. Lots of stuff there. The original idea of vanishing a coin under a watch can be found in Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, so I would check there first. As far as the basic vanish I used, it really isn't described anywhere except my lecture, but it's just what it appears to be: tucking the coin under the watch.

Hope that helps (and if not, ask Denis...if he was paying attention)

Josh
Chris Aguilar
View Profile
Special user
540 Posts

Profile of Chris Aguilar
Sankey uses a watch for his "messiah vanish" if I'm not mistaken.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Hi Josh,
Thanks again for the great lecture you gave us in Sacramento. Your performance of "Hanging Coins" was very powerful. I was inspired to start working on it. I'm using quarters because I plan to do it as an "impromptu" piece in everyday life and quarters are in circulation. You and Troy have put together a very deceptive sequence for lay people. I truly believe that the effect of three coins vanishing, with no false moves, is extremely powerful magic. And, it's a quickie that can be done is less than a minute. Congratulations. The photographs in Magic Atlas are all anyone needs to learn the final vanish, really, and it's one more powerful tool in a close up magician's arsenal. I havn't been too fond of "watch" vanishes before this, but yours is great.
Dennis Loomis
http://www.loomismagic.com
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Joshua Jay
View Profile
V.I.P.
196 Posts

Profile of Joshua Jay
Hello Dennis,
Thanks for the kind words. I am so glad you came to the lecture in Sacramento and I tried to email you a response to the letter you sent me via Simon Aronson...but it didn't go through. Just know that I didn't ignore you:). Best wishes always,

Josh
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
The three coin vanish isn't really "Hanging Coins". In Hanging Coins the coins reappear after vanishing...

Come to think of it adding a coin dropper to steal three ungaffed coins and producing them would allow the coins to be used in other effects... you could even produce a fourth (after a long pause) as if you didn't realise that you'd left it there from "last week" and do an assembly or other coins across effect.

Forget I said anything...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The October 2003 entrée: Joshua Jay » » "Hanging Coins" - The last vanish » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL