The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » New Release on Theory11's WIRE: Alternate Universe (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
West Bloomfield, Michigan
678 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
Hi MagicCafe Gang,

Rick Lax here. Just wanted to share this card trick with all of you: http://www.theory11.com/wire/rick-lax/alternate-universe/

It's called "Alternate Universe" because it picks up where Harry Lorayne's "Out Of This Universe" left off. The big development with Alternate Universe is that you can show the faces of the cards before the trick starts--the reds and blacks are not pre-segregated. Anyway, if you're into Out Of This World tricks, and you're looking for something new, this might be a good fit for ya.

If you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask.

-Rick
hornet
View Profile
Veteran user
Herts, England
368 Posts

Profile of hornet
Anybody got this, looks good!
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Not personally a fan of so much dealing. Feels too procedural.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
BigSmile
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of BigSmile
Rick, looks interesting.
But perhaps the dealing may be "confusing" to the audience? I don't know your effect but perhaps the more counting and dealing is involved the more the spectator may think that there must be a trick.

I personally like the pure impromptu OOTW effect. It never fails! Smile
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1344 Posts

Profile of Stucky
There is a ton of dealing in ALL OotW. Thankfully this one appears to use about half the deck which saves on time and hassle.
Official Thread Killer
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2012-04-23 19:14, Stucky wrote:
There is a ton of dealing in ALL OotW. Thankfully this one appears to use about half the deck which saves on time and hassle.

Yes, but the "dealing" is usually all about the spectator choosing colours, not multiple procedural deals.
Big difference between a spectator "sorting" the deck blindly, and the magician dealing out cards into multiple piles, and then the spectator simply dealing cards alternating into two piles, without getting to choose which cards go to which pile.

I would even argue it's no longer an Out of this World effect at that point, as it's not the spectator somehow managing to sort the deck by their choices. Perhaps almost more of an Oil and Water effect at that point, as all the procedure seems like more of a mixing than a sorting.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1905 Posts

Profile of ted french
Looks good, Dunn's Deal OOTW has the spectators push the 2 piles together before they reveal the colors are red and black.
P3
practice practice perform.
velcrowe
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of velcrowe
May I ask what the conceptual advantage of being able to show the faces before this trick is? The long mixing procedure in Lorayne's version, for example, definitely seems to throw off the idea that they were pre-mixed at any point. If the dealing/mixing procedure is about as long as Harry's, is there any other upgrade to the trick?

I wonder if it'd be nice to have in the pocket to follow-up Harry's in the event that the spectator is convinced the deck was pre-arranged. Might be a good way to shut them up!
Bande
View Profile
Veteran user
388 Posts

Profile of Bande
I gotta agree here. I love OOTW, but this feels way too proceedural. With so many detailed instructions, I fear it loses its sense of wonder and magic to be replaced with a clever/puzzle feel of how did you stack the deck. Just my $.02.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » New Release on Theory11's WIRE: Alternate Universe (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL