The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » A question for professional school show performers (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3639 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
I would love to use postcards, but here in Canada the cost of mailing is the same, and actually when you get up to a booklet size envelope the oversize postcard is actually more! In Canada all is first class mail, 61 cent stamp plus close to 15% tax, so say 70 cents for the stamp.

I do have a postcard (just a photo, no offer etc.) that I send out individually on occasion. However that being said I would like to vary my material, so my thought is to have a special card done for a Fall mailing on it's own.

In my current mailing each envelope has a flyer for the specific show/product I am promoting, a reference page, a general flyer, a photo postcard and a business card, LOT's of STUFF to take out and look at!

Blair

P.S. Arthur I should have mentioned, in case someone points it out, I do have an ad twice a year in my local family directory. I do do some market specific promotional events, and recently only the odd ad on Craigslist....I think that covers it. Oh, I am also quite active on Social Media, mainly Facebook. So many "little" things I do to add to the whole!
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2480 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
I should also mention that if you are doing a school mailing generally you should mail to:
principals- educational type shows such as no bullying, math, etc
nurse- healthy eating or fitness shows
PTO- fund raisers and family night shows.

not always but I have found this to be the general method in most schools. ultimately the principal decides and approves the assembly or evening event but you need to work the other channels first to get them to pitch the idea.

for my current show I address all the postcards and letters to the principal BY NAME.

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3639 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
All my principal mailings go out with name, some other ones also. But ones where there is a changeover (PPO, H&S,etc.) it's by position.

B
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1314 Posts

Profile of stempleton
I guess it's a good time to raise this thread again now that the new school year is approaching.

I have read what I think is every thread, and if I've missed it, forgive me. But my questions is, "when do you mail for a new school year?"

I ask because, if you mail in the summer, no one's there, and upon arrival for the new school year, your mailing is one in a thousand in the box, right? But, if your show is themed around, say, September or October, when should you mail, when schools typically start the new school year in August.

Would love to hear from all you who have mastered the art of school shows. Many thanks.
Steve
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2591 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
There are people in and out all summer, especially the office.
I don't think they let the mail pile up all summer.

Tom
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1314 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Hey, Tom, thanks. I have your daycare book and it has proven invaluable for that market.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2591 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Thanks Steve. Hope you have the new download version too.

I’m sure the public schools are a little different from state to state, but around here there is something going on in the building most of the summer;
things like summer classes, teachers redoing rooms, cleaning and remodeling, etc. Maybe not daily but I would think the mail would be read fairly often.

It would be interesting to hear from some of those that mail to the public schools and what their mailing schedule is.

Tom
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2225 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I like to have the mailing drop on the principals desk about a week before school begins, first day of school for Guidance Counselors, and a week after school begins for PTA/PTO. I used to do mailings in very early January too, but I got a very poor return the last time I tried that.

Since this thread started I believe direct mail has become less effective. I would love to know if anyone else is seeing that trend.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19619 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
That trend has been happening for quite a while. I think there are places where physical mall may never go away and it is possible this is one of them. But it has been trending why down for quite a while.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7373 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
My experience is similar to Ken's.

I've found that Principals are in the schools a couple of weeks after the end of the school year, and a couple of weeks before the start of the next school year.

However, other staff such as secretaries and teachers aren't in the school until nearly the start of the school year.

That has been my experience when calling to get the current Principal's name in mid-August (schools in my area start in early September, and end at the end of June). *** In my area, there are online directories that publish the Principal's name, but those usually aren't updated until late September thru late October. So, you can't rely on them to be accurate in August and September.

In regards to mailings to school PACs (Canadian equivalent of PTAs), I usually wait until a week or two into the school year, to start on those. And generally, I mail to the title of "Parent's Council" instead of a name (those names are harder to obtain).

For the past few years, I've been including my rates in with my mailings to schools. That's my personal preference. That way, they are ready to book when they respond. I usually send a cover letter, rates sheet(s), & brochure, in an envelope.

Above, Blair explained why he would send a letter instead of a postcard. 6 years later, the reasons remain the same here in Canada. You don't save money by sending a postcard. Minimum postage is 85 cents plus tax, and some mailings are $1.27 plus tax because of their weight or size.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » A question for professional school show performers (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL