The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Roy mauled by white tiger—"In critical condition" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
johnr733
View Profile
New user
Denver, CO
66 Posts

Profile of johnr733
Actually I think they will terminate the tiger in the end, unfortunate as that is. Roy was a superstar in our art, and I wish him a speedy recovery.
mghia
View Profile
Veteran user
Kymystical
387 Posts

Profile of mghia
From the AP wire, author is Adam Goldman:

Quote:
Horn told the tiger to lie down. When it refused, Horn tapped the cat on the nose with a microphone to get its attention. The animal grabbed at Horn's arm, causing the entertainer to stumble.

The tiger then lunged at Horn, who tried to beat the animal away with the microphone. Audience members said the tiger dragged Horn off the stage by the neck. The attack barely missed severing Horn's carotid artery.

See? I guess he took for granted that this was a wild animal. Bop me in the nose with your mic I might attack too. I feel bad for him being attacked but it seems to make sense if he really bonked his nose.
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Scott Ocheltree
I am deeply saddened by this event. I wish Mr. Horn a speedy and full recovery. Now is not the time to second guess his handling of the animal in this situation. He has more experience with these types of animals than anyone on this forum ever will.

Nor is this the time or place to debate the ethics of using wild animals in this capacity. It is a very complex subject, and again one I am sure that Siegfried and Roy know more about than any of us. My thoughts and prayers are with him, and all of the Sarmoti family.
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
Whoa, I read in the paper about this tragedy and was very shocked. They have worked with tigers for many years and tigers are like pets to them. Wonder why all of a sudden the tiger attacked Roy? Weird.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
According to latest Las Vegas news, here's the updates:
  • Roy is paralyzed on one side for now. In order to help his brain better repair itself, they've had to induced a comatose state. It's the best thing they can do for him right now. He's on a ventilator.
  • The MGM will be announcing their plans concerning the show tomorrow morning. They are expected to announce that they'll help find new jobs for the cast, give them recommendations, and so on.
  • The tiger just missed biting the carotid artery, the main artery that takes blood to the brain.
Our best wishes go with you, Roy.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5707 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Sad, sad news...I hope he recovers completely.

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Pablo Tejero
View Profile
Inner circle
Zaragoza, SPAIN
1201 Posts

Profile of Pablo Tejero
My prayers are also with him. Come on Roy, you will be soon with us again.

All the best magic,

Pablo Tejero Smile
"The Magic is in the air, you just have to... breathe it!"
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Very sad indeed but those are the risks working with any wild animal. Hopefully he recovers quickly, everyone will be pulling for him. Smile
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
From SiegfriedandRoy.com:

Quote:
All of us in the Siegfried & Roy family are deeply saddened by Roy's injury at last Friday's performance. Roy remains in stable but critical condition at University Medical Center in Las Vegas.

For more than four decades, I have had the great privilege of standing at the side of this remarkable man, and I will continue to do so during this very challenging time. We are grateful and overwhelmed with the tremendous support we have received from around the world, and ask for your continued prayers and reflections.

(Signed) Siegfried
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
I don't know the English words to express my feeling, so let me write it in Japanese:

Roy-san no jikowo kiite, iishirenu kyougakuwo kanjimashita. Itsumo anatano stagewa hanayakadeshita. Ano satagega mata mirareruyou inotte imasu.

Hideo Kato
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
From the Las Vegas Review-Journal:

Quote:
The official status of superstar magician Roy Horn never changed from "critical but stable" Saturday, one day after he was badly mauled by a white tiger during a performance at The Mirage.

But among his circle of friends and colleagues, the cautious optimism that first emerged late Friday night took a downward turn over the course of the day.

Horn's initial surgery at University Medical Center Trauma Center ended about 11:30 p.m. Friday. A hospital source said Horn had to be resuscitated during that surgery.

Horn, who turned 59 Friday, was moved to another part of the hospital about 12:40 a.m. Saturday.

A hospital source said Horn subsequently suffered a stroke and was returned to surgery about 9:30 a.m. to relieve severe pressure on his brain.

MGM Mirage spokesman Alan Feldman declined to discuss specifics of Horn's condition or treatment. "Updates on an hour-by-hour basis are not going to lead to clarity," he said.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
Could this be the END of Siegfried and Roy. Smile Smile
waveman
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of waveman
I hear he is doing better, wiggling toes and fingers.
Get better soon Roy...

:dancing:
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 2003-10-06 10:54, Mistro wrote:
Could this be the END of Siegfried and Roy. Smile Smile

Unfortunately, the only answer we have right now is the less-than-satisfying, "Wait and see."
JAEIII
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of JAEIII
To share my thoughts on the fate of the tiger, the chances of them "putting it down" are slim to none. You can't kill a tiger for being a tiger. Roy does not want this either. I just saw on the news, that the first thing Roy said before fainting, "He's a good cat. Please don't kill the cat."

The worst thing I believe will happen is that the tiger is moved elsewhere, perhaps to a zoo.

At this early time, it is probably dumb to speculate what will happen. Time will tell all.

As for the fate of "Siegfried and Roy," I heard that they have cancelled the show for good, and "let go" of all of the employees this weekend. I would love to be wrong about this, but this is what I heard on the news. Smile
Believe In Magic....I do!
Magicbarry
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
276 Posts

Profile of Magicbarry
Well, that's not quite what they said. They said they were cancelling the show "indefinitely" and advising the employees to seek other work. If S&R ever perform again, it will be many, many months before they do so—people will need to find other ways to support themselves.
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Quote:
On 2003-10-04 16:09, KingStardog wrote:
I don't think much of using animals this way. It's wrong and using a great creature to further your career.

I agree with you, BUT, and a big but at that, Siegfried and Roy have done more to preserve these animals than many international organizations combined. A huge amount of their money has gone into breeding programs that will keep these animals with us for generations longer than they can survive on their own. Give 'em a break man.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
JAEIII
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of JAEIII
Barry,

Perhaps the news station I was listening to was incorrect. They informed that the show was closing for good and that all of the employees were "let go" over the weekend.

I have also heard others say "indefinitely." I was just reporting what I heard. Let's hope the station I was listening to was wrong. Smile
Believe In Magic....I do!
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
It is often said "after falling from a horse (bike) whatever, the best advice is to get straight back on." My advice in this case would be to "learn your lesson well." Once a tiger always a tiger. My thoughts are with all concerned.

Howard
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
I also heard that Roy had a stroke after the attack.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Roy mauled by white tiger—"In critical condition" (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL