The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Magician Stereotypes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tehmagic1
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of tehmagic1
List some stereotypes about magicians! Things that Muggles always think we do or actually do. (is this a thread already?)

Always having a deck of cards everywhere you go,
Pulling a rabbit out of a hat.
Sawing in half.
Never ending chain of handkerchiefs
linking rings
When you pull out a deck of cards everyone runs away.
The classic top hat and tux.
Criss angel.
That geeky guy who tries to get the ladies with magic but is always turned down :'(

Some that are funnier? I'm not very creative hahaha..
Pizpor
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of Pizpor
Kids birthday parties
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3010 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Watch any of the Big Bang Theory episodes where Howard performs magic (ie, the one where he tries to pick up women at a bar using mouth coils and card on forehead, or the one where he performs at a children's party and the jaded kids are Googling the solutions on their iPhones). You'll laugh, but it hits a little close to home, too.

I think there was a Katy Perry video not too long ago (Firework, or something) that featured a stereotypical geeky kid who was into magic.

Sadly, the stereotypes don't seem to be working in our favor.

But then there was also an episode of Rules of Engagement where David Spade takes a younger lady to see a Chriss Angel show, and Angel performs some slick magic then beds his lady. So it's not all bad.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2604 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
The stereotypes of magicians in the UK have traditionally been of the rather naff variety in the publics mind but I'm not sure to what degree those stereotypes are still in the publics' consciousness among younger generations. They, after all, have been brought up on Derren Brown and David Blaine and to some degree Penn and Teller, who have added an amount of 'cool' to the face of magic and magicians that it never had before.

Strangely UK stereotypes of magicians, I believe, have been and remain sadder than those from across the pond. I believe this is because Americans value and celebrate the outward trappings of success more than the Brits do. Consequently although the likes Siegfried and Roy and David Copperfield confirmed some of the stereotypes of glitzy showbiz, and wind blowing trough the hair in an indoor studio, the fact that they were hugely successful (which = stinkingly wealthy) meant that they were still held in high esteem and this takes some of the derision away from the stereotypes they could be seen to be representative of.

In the UK there's nothing we enjoy more than being disappointed at someone's success and so success here is no detractor of the stereotypes.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Magician Stereotypes (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL