The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Dark Dawn Tarot...is here (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
numizmata
View Profile
New user
Budapest
63 Posts

Profile of numizmata
The cutting tool or something else made a classic marking on my pack...
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Thanks,numizmata!

I did have a ritual performed on my set,when the moon was at it's brightest! Posted on another thread!

I pulled out my set,and did a study of the edges.
The only thing I could find,was on the Death edge,it kind of looks like Rick's,paypal address! Smile
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Mickturbo
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
78 Posts

Profile of Mickturbo
I ordered these lovely things just last night along with another, larger, even more wonderful item. I can't wait to get my hands on both, hopefully in time for Halloween, but I'm sure it'll be worth the wait no matter what.
numizmata
View Profile
New user
Budapest
63 Posts

Profile of numizmata
Here is what about I said.

Image
DarrinOC
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of DarrinOC
Using 'XIIII' instead of 'XIV' is, as far as I can tell, an old tradition dating back to the Marseilles Tarot and either has to do with cardmakers not being familiar with roman numerals or the fact that card XIII (Death) is typically unnumbered. Not entirely sure.

That marking on the side is a tiny chip in the blade when the deck was cut. The guillotine-style blades are sharp and sensitive enough to cut a single sheet of paper but they're very thin. You can also see those marks on paperback books. Fine grain sandpaper could smooth it out.

Darrin...
Developer, The Carnie Tarot
numizmata
View Profile
New user
Budapest
63 Posts

Profile of numizmata
Thanks you for the informations DarrinOC.
I love the marking on my card, its very handy for me!
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5476 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I could see how this could be EXTREMELY useful. Good notice numizmata. I have to check mine out and see if they are similar.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5476 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I could see how this could be very useful. Good notice numizmata. I have to check mine out and see if they are similar.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
DarrinOC
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of DarrinOC
It doesn't happen often as we change out the blade whenever it dulls or we notice a chip. You can probably make your own mark by scratching a screw or nail along the edge at a similar angle. I'd suggest practicing on a stack of index cards before you work on the real deck.

Darrin...
Developer, The Carnie Tarot
Mickturbo
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
78 Posts

Profile of Mickturbo
My Dark Dawn Tarot appeared on my doorstep yesterday. In fiendish glee I immediately went to remove them from their envelope and worn pouch, then thought better of it and took them inside, closing the door firmly and drawing the curtains tight. Something whispered in my ear that these cards don't care for the light, having spent such a very long time slumbering in the darkness of some forgotten drawer. They flourish in the shadows, and when you handle them they begin to awaken, the dark fortunes of unlucky souls who shall cross your path flashing through your mind's eye as you gaze on the finely drawn artwork and pass your fingertips over the worn surfaces. Even face down, they speak to you in subtle tones, revealing what fate lies on the other side. They are unsettling dark delights and if you should be so fortunate as to procure a deck of your own you will have no regrets.
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
You're,only part way there,if you did not get a,DDT Outlaw Box ! Smile





Just kidding! Or,is He ? Mwha,ha.ha.ha
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5476 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On 2013-09-04 21:04, Mickturbo wrote:
My Dark Dawn Tarot appeared on my doorstep yesterday. In fiendish glee I immediately went to remove them from their envelope and worn pouch, then thought better of it and took them inside, closing the door firmly and drawing the curtains tight. Something whispered in my ear that these cards don't care for the light, having spent such a very long time slumbering in the darkness of some forgotten drawer. They flourish in the shadows, and when you handle them they begin to awaken, the dark fortunes of unlucky souls who shall cross your path flashing through your mind's eye as you gaze on the finely drawn artwork and pass your fingertips over the worn surfaces. Even face down, they speak to you in subtle tones, revealing what fate lies on the other side. They are unsettling dark delights and if you should be so fortunate as to procure a deck of your own you will have no regrets.


Yeah. What you said.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Mickturbo
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
78 Posts

Profile of Mickturbo
Have no fear, Godzilla, I've ordered something suitably extravagant that I hope will make a perfect home for the deck.
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Mick,do share when you get! Smile And,con-grats!
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Quote:
On 2013-09-04 21:04, Mickturbo wrote:
My Dark Dawn Tarot appeared on my doorstep yesterday. In fiendish glee I immediately went to remove them from their envelope and worn pouch, then thought better of it and took them inside, closing the door firmly and drawing the curtains tight.
Something whispered in my ear that these cards don't care for the light, having spent such a very long time slumbering in the darkness of some forgotten drawer. They flourish in the shadows, and when you handle them they begin to awaken, the dark fortunes of unlucky souls who shall cross your path flashing through your mind's eye as you gaze on the finely drawn artwork and pass your fingertips over the worn surfaces.
Even face down, they speak to you in subtle tones, revealing what fate lies on the other side. They are unsettling dark delights and if you should be so fortunate as to procure a deck of your own you will have no regrets.

:bat:
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
scathmadre
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of scathmadre
Quote:
On 2013-08-29 10:38, DarrinOC wrote:
Using 'XIIII' instead of 'XIV' is, as far as I can tell, an old tradition dating back to the Marseilles Tarot and either has to do with cardmakers not being familiar with roman numerals or the fact that card XIII (Death) is typically unnumbered. Not entirely sure.

That marking on the side is a tiny chip in the blade when the deck was cut. The guillotine-style blades are sharp and sensitive enough to cut a single sheet of paper but they're very thin. You can also see those marks on paperback books. Fine grain sandpaper could smooth it out.

Darrin...
Developer, The Carnie Tarot


Subtractive Roman Numerals are more common in modern English speaking countries.

In Europe, for many centuries, the additive form of Roman Numerals was most common (and thus used in pre-1850’s Tarot, and Tarocchi decks.

However as soon as you use the additive form of Roman Numerals on a deck where Strength precedes Justice, you’ve created a historical anomaly that never existed in the real world.
ZoOpDoG
View Profile
Veteran user
All the cool people have
311 Posts

Profile of ZoOpDoG
Custom box I made for Dark Dawn Tarot. Tallisman and Veves were all chosen to ward off evil and protect the contents of the box from outside harm or influnce. Voodoo, Biblical and witchcraft are all represented. There will be 1 tallisman placed on top of the deck wrapped in cloth when the lid is closed and left unattended. This one remains unseen making it harder for an intruder to penetrate as they cannot see what magik is being used to protect the contents.

Image


here is a cleaner one of the front. symbols are etched and burned into the wood
Image



I want to try and make a similar one that is a corradin box design so the cards could actually appear and disappear.
armymagic
View Profile
New user
Phoenix, AZ, USA
87 Posts

Profile of armymagic
That us an absolutely gorgeous receptacle. I've tried my hand at woodworking and box making a few times, but never achieved anything that beautiful!
Love me or hate me, but you'll never forget me!
bobbyhasbun
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of bobbyhasbun
That's a great box for an incredible deck!
Merlinsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Daly City, CA
1551 Posts

Profile of Merlinsmagic
AWESOME - VERY nicely done !! Inspires me to bust out the tools to do a few boxes & wood working for myself (instead of for my customers.....LoL) in the slower season this winter.

It looks like something that Dan or Rick would carry / sell Smile Careful you might start getting requests for a few of those -

I do believe your DDT's feel very safe & at home Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Dark Dawn Tarot...is here (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL