The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » What happened to the trunk? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

s.freeman
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of s.freeman
Not just for magic, but in general. Trunks were amazing, you could hold just about anything in them. It justified using one in a trick. Maybe I'm just biased from watching so much Mr. Dressup, but I really miss the trunk, anyone still using one or know where they're available?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
What are you talking about? Do you mean Swimming Trunks? Foot lockers? Although one does not fit in a Fool Locker.
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
I used a foot locker style for years. It had no wheels so I had to lug it everywhere I performed. Held my whole act and it was a lot of stuff in there. Always bought them at Kmart, at the time there were no Walmart's in So Calif at the time. I bought another one a couple of years ago to store my Murder Inc. in it. Works great but this one has wheels. Of course if you are talking about the old style costume trunk that is another story. Never used on of those but back in the 70' I say many of them still in use.

Steven
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
I think they went the way of the servants and porters that used to help people carry them.

The modern incarnation would include ATA cases and the OSB wooden trunks with wheels that you can purchase at Target. I have four of the latter - three are black and decorated with rabbit-in-hat stickers that I purchased elsewhere, and one is white with black polka dots. I was very happy when I found that last one at Target four years ago - unfortunately it was the only remaining model, and I haven't seen any since.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
jhard
View Profile
Regular user
Dallas, TX
135 Posts

Profile of jhard
Go to any "junk" store, antique store, etc. and you will find plenty of them along with old suitcases, briefcases, travel trunks, steamer trunks (the best) , theatrical costume trunks etc.
Success to all.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes, if you do a search for "footlocker" trunks, then you will see they are still available. One site made special large wheels for them, but they will not sell the wheels kit separately.

Check your stores in your area, we have a pone shop that carries a large variety of sizes from huge, like 4 feet long to the standard size.

Footlockers are as standard size and can be shipped through the post office, the next size called "oversized footlocker" cannot be shipped through the post office. Just in case you are interested.

Those plastic models have become very common but do to the design to make them sturdy, they do not hold much. Look for the ones with the chip board inside. They are heavy, but will hold up for many years.
Eric the Excellent
View Profile
Loyal user
Montana
234 Posts

Profile of Eric the Excellent
I use a steamer-trunk when I have to transport a good number of my acts. It's practical in that it can hold a bunch, it stacks easily, and nothing is going to break it. It also looks very official.

The only minus is that it is pretty heavy, even empty, but usually at large events I have someone to help me carry it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » What happened to the trunk? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL