The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » L&L ePublishing Plenty of ebooks launched » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
It's great to see many of the out-of-print books coming back as ebook. Perhaps MINT Vol. 1.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
JohnGelasi
View Profile
Loyal user
With just a snap, incredibly, I now have
228 Posts

Profile of JohnGelasi
Quote:
On 2012-05-05 08:16, Zuke wrote:
Has anyone else had problems with the download link? I ordered and paid but did not receive a download link. I'm a bit annoyed as I was expecting the ebook as an instant download.
I've contacted customer service and I'm currently awaiting a reply. I'll post the outcome when it transpires.

I have the same issue. I just bought "The Card Magic of Nick Trost", but after clicking the link once on my iPad, which wouldn't download it, it disappeared. As of now, I've not been able to read the ebook, which is quite upsetting. Is there any way to download it again (without buying it again, which would be silly) Smile

I am also currently awaiting a reply from customer service..
JohnGelasi
View Profile
Loyal user
With just a snap, incredibly, I now have
228 Posts

Profile of JohnGelasi
Issue was resolved- thanks again to Steve over at L&L Smile
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
It's a great alternative to the physical books that are out of print and much more economical for the publisher too! I have purchased several and the quality on the whole is excellent. However the book by Michael Skninner - Classic Sampler - needs a bit of work on the photographs. They are rather grainy and wondering if the originals in the book are similar?

Looking forward to new releases in the near future. Keep up the great work L and L!
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I sent an email last night and still haven't gotten a response. I kno is Sunday but Johns issue was resolved... Hope to hear from them soon.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
I have the Skinner book and the photographs are fine. A little flat. Grain is an issue your going to have with downloadable files that have photography. Illustrated magic books are much less of a problem. It's one of the big reasons I still prefer printed books. If they're no longer available then the ebook is good alternative.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Thanks motown for your comparison between the photos in the physical book and the ebook. Actually its not a complaint but just an observation on my part. As you said, for those out of print books, these ebooks are a great alternative! I have purchased the Al Schneider book, the Nick Trost, 2 by Michael Ammar (his original book and the one on Cups and Balls), Classic Sampler, The book by the (then-young) Michael Kaminskas (great debut book called Miracle Material)and Louis Falanga's great little book 'Lake Tahoe Magic' I have most of these in print version, but to be able to carry them around on my tablet is too great to resist!!!
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
But a caveat - they come with limited amount of downloads (sometimes only 1) and if you make a mistake - or try to download to iPad - you've wasted it and need to contact L and L. As noted, Steve does a great job, so Cameron, you wont have to wait long! What I do is to download to my computer and then email the pdf to myself. Then I can open the email on iPAd and using a software (mine is PDF Reader) I can store it and read it on my tablet! Takes a few extra steps, but its safe and effective!
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On 2012-05-06 23:52, magicbern wrote:
Thanks motown for your comparison between the photos in the physical book and the ebook. Actually its not a complaint but just an observation on my part. As you said, for those out of print books, these ebooks are a great alternative! I have purchased the Al Schneider book, the Nick Trost, 2 by Michael Ammar (his original book and the one on Cups and Balls), Classic Sampler, The book by the (then-young) Michael Kaminskas (great debut book called Miracle Material)and Louis Falanga's great little book 'Lake Tahoe Magic' I have most of these in print version, but to be able to carry them around on my tablet is too great to resist!!!
I also have many of L&Ls books. I'll probably do the same as you and pick a few of the ebooks up for the portability. You can't go wrong with such great prices.
– Karl Germain
LLPublishing
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of LLPublishing
Thanks everyone for the positive feedback AND patience as we launch this new site.

The site hasn't officially launched and we were surprised that Google picked up on it and the first orders starting coming in. There are still more titles that have to be entered and several bugs worked out.

The biggest issue, which was confirmed this morning, is downloading on iPads. It turns out that iOS doesn't know what to do with Zip files, which is how the books are set up. So if you tried downloading on your iPad, it's the zip file that messed up the download for you. Today we're going in and changing those files so they're not zipped and you can download your purchase directly to your iPad. This should be completed by the end of the day.

Regarding the quality of the PDFs, specifically the photos in some of them, much of that has to do with having these ebooks at a reasonable files size. If the quality were greatly improved then there would be a significant increase in the file size. For example The Al Schneider book would almost be 1 gb!

If you ever have a problem here are two email addresses: support@llpub.com & llpublishing@gmail.com. Those are the only two email addresses that will get you the quickest help (and your file if you haven't gotten it).

Thanks!
LLPublishing
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of LLPublishing
Update.

We spent some time this morning with an iPad and found a better solution. There is a free app called iZip that will open archived files and then give you the option of where you want to send the file, like iBooks for example.

So before you buy an ebook, we recommend you install iZip first. This will help keep the download sizes small for everyone and still allow you to download the zip file.

There is another app call GoodReader, which costs $4.99, which is also great. It's a swiss-army knife app that will open zips, allow you to read most file types and much more. It's something you may want to consider as well.
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Must admit I'm tempted to buy some of these. Even to complement hard copy books I already own to have them available on my laptop when I'm away from home.

However there is a question I have around DRM. Presumably the files will be protected so as to play on only one device? Could I, for example, open my ebook on my laptop and work desktop also off one purchase?
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
LLPublishing
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of LLPublishing
Jamie,

The ebooks are just PDF files. You don't need a password to open them. You can print them. You don't have to be connected to the internet for any sort of DRM verification.

Most DRM protected files do little to protect the file from unauthorized use/copying/sharing and just makes it inconvenient for the honest people who have respect for the material.

One of the advantages of the digital books over printed books is they're searchable. This compliments your printed books when you're doing research.
Moonstone76
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
156 Posts

Profile of Moonstone76
Hi LL Guys
Thanks for the ebook idea! It's great!
I have a lot of your titles yet in harbound version but for example I was so happy to find the ebook versions of the Ammar Cups & Balls and Carneycopia! Good one!
The pdf are great, well done.
Only one suggestion...I would suggest to provide unlimited downloads for the customers.
Thanks
Matt
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1179 Posts

Profile of Chris
A recommendation for L&L. If you format and export the PDF correctly there is no need for zipping it. PDF has compression built in. In my experience zipping PDF files does not substantially reduce their size. The only reason to use zip would be as container for several files. Download speeds are fast enough these days that a couple of dozen MBytes more or less hardly makes a difference. Just my two cents. Good to see you jumping on the ebook bandwagon.
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
I'm hoping The Charlatan's Handbook is in the pipeline. There's a whole new generation of folks who'd love that one too.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Mind_Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
The Sunshine State USA
1252 Posts

Profile of Mind_Magic
Even though I have the hard books of The Magic of Michael Ammar, Spectacle, The Annotated Magic of Slydini and Capricornian Tales of Christian Chelman, I am thinking to get the e-books.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Let's hope other ebook sellers follow L&L's lead with their reasonable pricing.
– Karl Germain
octave
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of octave
I don't think e-books are going to devalue print versions of these books. I think it is an indicator that most of those books are not going to be reprinted.
I myself have my eyes set on Impossibilia, Closeup Magic of Aldo Colombini, Carneycopia, The Complete Cups & Balls and Magic Menu titles.
LLPublishing
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of LLPublishing
We've added two more titles to the website:

Compiled by Lewis Ganson

The Art of Close-Up Magic, Vol. 1

The Art of Close-Up Magic, Vol. 2
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » L&L ePublishing Plenty of ebooks launched » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL