The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » How often do you use their table? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
CardC
View Profile
Regular user
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
158 Posts

Profile of CardC
Maybe it's been asked however:

How often to you use the customers table for your magic? I understand it's best to do in the hands effects however, how often do you have the opportunity to use the table, even for let's say spongeballs?

Should we avoid entering their dining space?

Appreciate any comments and ahead of time, I apologize if this is redundant.

Keli
be happy
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1447 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
I choose not to, but that is my own personal preference. Your going to hear both sides on here, and your going to hear a bunch of reasons why you should/shouldn't do it. My advice, do what feels right for you. The main reason why I choose not to, is because I choose effects that can be done without a table, so I don't have to change my repertoire whether people are seated or standing. I load my pockets and I'm ready to perform under any conditions.

Again, that is my choice and it doesn't make it right/wrong, it's just the way I operate. There are some that prefer to sit at the table with the customers and perform for them that way. That's fine as well. I say pick whatever style you feel fits you best. Good Luck.
themagicguy
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
280 Posts

Profile of themagicguy
I improvise a lot so if I see room on the table and I need to put something down I will. But everything I do does not require a table. I could imagine it becoming very uncomfortable clearing table space with a group that are unsure about weather or not they want to see your magic. In saying that you will find if the people like you than they will clear the table for you. The only other thing to worry about is wrecking your props you are more than likely at some point going to put them in spilt drinks and food. Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I sit down at the table and work by request. I always use it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
I sit or stand and always use the table.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
If you don't need table space you won't be dissappointed when there is none.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Never. There is no need ever to do so.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Agree with Harry. I don't use their table. I often depending on the venue use my Banjo collapsible table as a working surface. Mostly I work from my pockets.

Larry
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
I use it when I can. Most times I can. Really the only time that has been an issue is when hired to work wedding halls or banquet halls. Then the tables are usually filled with 9 million plates, glasses, silverware, and such. In those cases, I do material that doesn't require a table.

Harry, not saying you are wrong or right, but I suppose that depends on what routines you perform. Regular size chop cup, Benson Bowls, matrix routines, etc. all would be tough or impossible to do in the hands. These and other table required routines are super strong. Personally, I don't feel that I'm intruding on their space by using a very small section of it.

I've had magicians come to my table when I've been in restaurants, and I've never felt like props or a mat on the table was a problem. If there is room, who cares? If there isn't room, do stuff in the hands. kinda simple
patrick
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2012-05-03 13:18, Daryl -the other brother wrote:
If you don't need table space you won't be dissappointed when there is none.

Wow I have never performed in a restaurant in Chicago that did not have tables. However at a cocktail party when it is a privet booking and there are no tables, I can work without one if needed however I choose to work sitting or standing at the table when I perform in restaurants.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Patrick I was talking about me and my practice. I don't care how strong a trick may be. In a dining situation I will leave it at home. There are thousands of tricks available that get just as strong a reaction as, say, the Chop Cup, so I tend to use them. My criteria for strolling/table-hopping magic is something that is performed in the hands, clearly visible, easily understood by non-English speaking folk, easily transported (fits in the pockets), and has a solid magical punch ending.

I don't ever put my stuff on someone's dining table. That is just me and my practice. It is neither right or wrong as you say (although your response implies "wrongness"). Frankly, I believe that putting a dirty deck of cards, a filthy close-up mat, or a unwashed Cup or Bowl on a dinner's table shows great disrespect.

Like you, I've had magicians approach a table where my friends and I were sitting and plop down a small close-up mat. They were sent away without even getting started by the folks I was with (all non-magicians, all "real" or lay folk ,and all there for dinner and conservation). This has happened more than once over the past several years (in Washington, D.C./Georgetown). I learned by watching and listening and putting myself in a dinner's place.

Personally, I feel that I am being disrespectful by contaminating their space.

Here is another side issue to the contaminating space thing. I love to have magic happen in the spectator's hands. I carry little packets of non-alcohol ,anti bacterial, hand cleaners to give a spectator who helps me. They get to sanitize their hand after handling my props (coins, cards, sponge balls). Some don't use them, most do, all say thank you. I actually get a nice joke and laugh out of giving the packet away.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2012-05-03 15:44, patrick flanagan wrote:

I've had magicians come to my table when I've been in restaurants, and I've never felt like props or a mat on the table was a problem. If there is room, who cares? If there isn't room, do stuff in the hands. kinda simple
patrick

I agree, Patrick. You just nailed it. And if I may add I would say the same thing for sitting and standing and I have also performed magic on a bar stool that was in reach and on a low coffee/cocktail table about a foot and a half high off the table in several restaurants (in the lounge).

I would also add that the audience enjoyed the show - with and without the table and on high/low tables.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Hand sanitizer and Anti-bacterial soap is now known to cause male impotence and other problems. Time to keep up with the news reports. Don't want to get sued.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Depends on the amount of space on the table and the people.
Most times I always used the table to lay small things like a deck down if need be.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Quote:
On 2012-05-03 16:19, wmhegbli wrote:
Hand sanitizer and Anti-bacterial soap is now known to cause male impotence and other problems. Time to keep up with the news reports. Don't want to get sued.

Seriously????
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2538 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On 2012-05-03 16:19, wmhegbli wrote:
Hand sanitizer and Anti-bacterial soap is now known to cause male impotence and other problems.

But don't you normally use these AFTER you've held your di......... whoops better end it there! Smile
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
echomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of echomagic
I live in Massachusetts. I do not know anyone doing restaurant magic in this area that sits down at a patron's table. Occasionally I'll use a small piece of the table to do magic. The magic effect had better be worth the fact that you are using THEIR space.

The unfortunate thing is this. Once you have decided to do restaurant magic, you will learn the magic needed to perform in "restaurant conditions". You will probably not practice magic you want to perform, but, practice magic you'll need to perform in this environment. Among the other concerns you will immediately notice is limited pocket space, instant reset, bad angles and performance time constraints.

Ultimately, it is all worth it!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is all in the pitch and in the venue. Turn and burn family places I would never sit. I would also never work them.

I work only by request. When someone requests you it is not out of line to sit. They have seen you sitting at other tables. I am part of an ever all experience, not a time waster to keep the mind off of a slow kitchen. This philosophy is the difference as to if you are intrusive or not.

I agree this is not the perfect approach. It is right for the places I work. I am sure everyone has their own perfect approach. As no two places are the same I should imagine everyone has their own right way. I hate one size fits all solutions.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-05-03 10:13, Dannydoyle wrote:
I sit down at the table and work by request. I always use it.

Working by request is so smart. If I requested someone, I'd love for them to sit down. Many people, if they didn't request, don't even want to be approached.

I dined in a place where the waiter at the next table sat down to take the order ( not a high end place ). The people asked him to please stand up and they left.

Clarke
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Quote:
I dined in a place where the waiter at the next table sat down to take the order ( not a high end place ). The people asked him to please stand up and they left.

I would (and have) done the same. HOWEVER, I would not be put out if a magician I HAD INVITED OVER sat down.
Big difference between being asked and assuming.

What's that old saw? Makes an a-- out of you and me?
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » How often do you use their table? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL