The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Making objects start to smoke and maybe burn (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
I have an effect that I'm interested in performing. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be grateful.

I would like to have small slips of paper to start burning, either by my choice, or at a set amount of time that I can rely on.

I figured that this would be the section of the Café that would know effects that would make it seem that something strange is happening.

Suggestions please,

Thank you in advance,
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
I do njot know about Canadian law, but ion the US, in a public venue, you would need a fire permit before you could do this in many jurisdictions.

Having said that -- consider modifying the piece where you put your billets (my assumption) to include a flash pot mechanism but use flash paper and slow cotton as a starter. You will have to test several types of billet paper to see which works best.

Another method would be to have the billets placed on a mesh grate over an unlit candle -- the have the candle below the billets ignite on command - and light the billets.

But please check your regulations on open flame and use in various venues.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Balaram
View Profile
Special user
904 Posts

Profile of Balaram
See if you can find "The Blood Feast of the Sun" a routine by Ken de Courcy, pub. by the Supreme Magic Company in Devon England. It's an older one, likely out of print, but has all the info you seek, by a different method than those suggested by Chmara.
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
James,
If you drop one section below us,to 'Special Interests'...there is a Forum Called "Up in Smoke"!
Go there for some help,but do check the Laws for your venue!

Those guys,love to play with matches...and, anything Flamable! Smile
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
This is what you wish

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Chemical-Ma......4&sr=8-2

but heed chmara's warning
Mind illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Australia
949 Posts

Profile of Mind illusionist
Hi James, this may or may not be what your looking for, but outlaw-effects does sell a flashpot box which you can use with an ele*tro - *agn*tic dev*ce (outlaw has quite a few they sell too).

Basically you place the flashpot box on top of the ele*tro - *agn*tic dev*ce and you can activate the flashpot box anytime to burn up any flash paper you place inside it.

If you want more info on the flashpot box just PM me, I certainly love mine Smile

M.I.
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Along with 'The Blood Feast of The Sun' as Balaram mentioned, I can also suggest The Shattered Chalice from Al Mann.
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1751 Posts

Profile of cirrus
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
I suspect this is going to be quite hard to achieve. If your billets were made of flash paper then it would be simple to make them go up in smoke at your command. But ordinary paper is much less flammable; and flash cotton and flash wool are not very good at igniting other things. I'm sure they won't ignite paper. Using a remote controlled candle would work but you need to conceal the candle.

I've investigated chemical methods myself but without much luck.
Jolyon Jenkins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Making objects start to smoke and maybe burn (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL