The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Birders - Post your bird pics here. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2~3..12~13~14 [Next]
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Any birders in the house? I'm not real birder but I spend a lot of time outdoors so I see all sorts of them, and I'm pretty good at identifying them. I don't have any special camera or anything so I don't get a lot of great pics. Thought I'd share a few anyway and hope other will share some that they have taken. I have more but I'd like to see others, if anyone has any to share.

Here is a strutting Wild Turkey gobbler. Got this on Easter Sunday this year.

Image


Here is a wild turkey hen, I just got this pic yesterday.

Image


Here is a young Mallard drake with a purple head. Kind of odd, wish I had a better pic.

Image


Here is a real mixed bag. Canada Goose with goslings, Graylag Goose, and Mallard drake.

Image


Graylag.

Image


Here is a male Barn Swallow with a treat for it's baby.

Image


Here is a pair of Blue wing Teal. Bad picture but interesting to me because when we see these during hunting season they are still in what's called eclipse plumage. Which is very plain. Some duck hunters don't even recognize Blue Wings in their regular plumage. Bad pic, but even without downloading and enlarging you can see the characteristic white cresent on the face of the drake.

Image


Speaking of duck hunting.

Image


Wish I had a better camera. Just this weekend I saw a beautiful Scarlet Tanager as well as a Cormorant. Also, Mergansers and Common Goldeneye ducks that sit way out on the lake and can only bee seen with field glasses.

A few bonus pics of non-birds.

This is a Red Admiral butterfly.

Image



Here is a cool butterfly called a Mourning Cloak.

Image
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Closer (blurrier) look at the BWT

Image
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
We see a lot of wild turkeys but never when I have a camera handy.
Ducks are so common around here that I never even thought to take a picture.
Maybe I'll get around to it.
Most birds creep me out a little though. Like dentists, birds have no souls.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2012-05-14 12:42, critter wrote:
We see a lot of wild turkeys but never when I have a camera handy.
Ducks are so common around here that I never even thought to take a picture.
Maybe I'll get around to it.
Most birds creep me out a little though. Like dentists, birds have no souls.


lol! I have some pics of my girlfriend with a fake crow in her hair running around like a scene from "The Birds". The can be creepy. Always watching you. Watching, watching.

Turkey are becoming as common as pigeons around here. In fact I think I see more turkey. I can go to just about any body of water from a puddle to Lake Michigan and see Mallards all day. Teal, Widgeon, Wood Ducks etc are not at all rare, but you just don't see them very often. And when you do see them they usually see you, and they don't hang around very long. I see tons of cool songbirds, woodpeckers, hawks, etc. But without a camera with a good lens at the ready, I never can get any good pics. I just have a regular digital camera and I'm not much of a photographer anyway.
RJE2
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of RJE2
Nice pictures Marlin.

I'm not much of a camera guy, but our house is surrounded by a small decidous forest in southern Ontario and we get a lot of birds at our feeders.

This is the time of year that we get the Scarlet Tanagers and Indigo Buntings returning. Both are small with real bright colours.

All year long, I get to listen to the Pileated Woodpecker which is also a treat. It reminds me of watching jungle movies as a kid.

Wild turkeys walk through our property on a fairly regular basis. There is a Red Tailed Hawk nest about 75 meters from the house. The Junkos are moving out and the Goldfinches are now moving in.

The Redbreasted Grosbeaks have been back for a few weeks now and it won't be long before the Orioles and Ruby Throated Hummingbirds return.


We have to stop putting seed in the lower feeders this time of year because the juvenile black bears like to visit them. I started beekeeping this year and hopefully the bears won't be a problem. The liquid feeders are on a modified clothesline with baffles to keep the racoons from them.

All in all, it's been a pretty nice spring and lots of wildlife about.
hestonsmagic
View Profile
New user
McMinnville, OR
92 Posts

Profile of hestonsmagic
This was an exciting find today on the Magic Café.. I am an avid birder in Oregon and would not of expected a birder link on the Café... Every year we go on a Marathon birding trip and register approx 150 species in 3 days... This trip is due in just a couple of weeks.. will update you all on my return... Thanks for the birding spot for magicians.....
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2012-05-14 13:29, RJE2 wrote:
Nice pictures Marlin.

I'm not much of a camera guy, but our house is surrounded by a small decidous forest in southern Ontario and we get a lot of birds at our feeders.

This is the time of year that we get the Scarlet Tanagers and Indigo Buntings returning. Both are small with real bright colours.

All year long, I get to listen to the Pileated Woodpecker which is also a treat. It reminds me of watching jungle movies as a kid.

Wild turkeys walk through our property on a fairly regular basis. There is a Red Tailed Hawk nest about 75 meters from the house. The Junkos are moving out and the Goldfinches are now moving in.

The Redbreasted Grosbeaks have been back for a few weeks now and it won't be long before the Orioles and Ruby Throated Hummingbirds return.


We have to stop putting seed in the lower feeders this time of year because the juvenile black bears like to visit them. I started beekeeping this year and hopefully the bears won't be a problem. The liquid feeders are on a modified clothesline with baffles to keep the racoons from them.

All in all, it's been a pretty nice spring and lots of wildlife about.


That's sounds awesome. I used to live in the northern part of the state (Wisconsin), near the southern shore of the big lake, your yard sounds pretty much how our yard was wildlife wise. I still get a lot of the same birds at me feeders in the southern part of the state. But it was much better up north.

Just last week I saw my first Scarlet Tanager, Indigo Bunting, Baltimore Oriole, and hummingbird of the season. So they should be up your way shortly! Put out some orange halves or grape jelly for the orioles. But keep it out of the bears reach. lol!
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2012-05-14 13:38, hestonsmagic wrote:
This was an exciting find today on the Magic Café.. I am an avid birder in Oregon and would not of expected a birder link on the Café... Every year we go on a Marathon birding trip and register approx 150 species in 3 days... This trip is due in just a couple of weeks.. will update you all on my return... Thanks for the birding spot for magicians.....


No problem. Yes, please tell us about the trip and post some pics if you can. I'm going to try and get some more pics soon. It's hard to get good ones though.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
I didn't take this photo. It was taken this winter by someone else at the Schlitz Audubon center here in town. I love this pic. It appears to show the spot where and owl of some sort grabbed some prey.

Image
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I really like squirrels though. I can watch me some squirrels.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2012-05-14 14:51, critter wrote:
I really like squirrels though. I can watch me some squirrels.


Just for you then, I will post another non-bird pic. Here is a pic of a one eared squirrel that hangs around my house. I named it Sinclair after a buddy of mine who had most of his right ear bitten off breaking up a bar fight.

Image
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Awesome. He's a burly looking feller.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
He's a scrapper. That pic was taken 2 years ago. He's still alive.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
It was the snow-turkey pic got me thinking about squirrels. I have fond memories of studying squirrel tracks in the snow.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
We don't have squirrels, now I am sad.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Ain't you got prarie dogs and road runners?
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Nope. We have chipmonks, quail, coyote, and wild horses.
RJE2
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of RJE2
Quote:
On 2012-05-14 13:47, Marlin1894 wrote:

Just last week I saw my first Scarlet Tanager, Indigo Bunting, Baltimore Oriole, and hummingbird of the season. So they should be up your way shortly! Put out some orange halves or grape jelly for the orioles. But keep it out of the bears reach. lol!


Excellent! Send them up. We'll be waiting.

Even if we don't see the Orioles when they first arrive, we know they're here because the car and pick up truck windows get all dirty. The males sit on the vehicle doors and fight with their own reflections in the side mirrors.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2012-05-14 17:15, MagicSanta wrote:
Nope. We have chipmonks, quail, coyote, and wild horses.


If you scare up a quail and it starts to run away or looks like it's going to take flight, you can sometimes get it to freeze in place with a hawk whistle.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2012-05-14 17:15, MagicSanta wrote:
Nope. We have chipmonks, quail, coyote, and wild horses.


Chipmunks is cool.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Birders - Post your bird pics here. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..12~13~14 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL