The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Birders - Post your bird pics here. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14 [Next]
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2013-05-21 18:11, magicalaurie wrote:
Oh, there's much irony in that statement, indeed.

It may be ironic to some extent, but at the end of the day I'm on "Team People". We bear a slightly differently level of responsibility than our animal pals.

All I can say is be careful what you wish for.

Woland, if you use upload your pics to imageshack you should be able to resize them so they don't take up the whole page.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2914 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I'm pretty careful, generally, Marlin. I think a lot of people confound the term responsibility in favour of exercising power and that's a lesson that's been shown over and over again. And wildlife for the most part, have borne rather ultimate responsibility for it, at the hands of man. Bison, bears, wolves, cormorants, to name a very few.

I look forward to your photo, Woland.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:

Bison, bears, wolves, cormorants, to name a very few.

Yes, they suffered. They have also been saved, and in some cases have made great recoveries, due to the conservation and management efforts of man. So it goes both ways.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Springtime Photo Dump. All these pic were taken sometime this "spring" including he ones where it's snowing. A mix of wildlife, waterfowl, and songbirds either from my travels, or from the patio where I have my feeders. I've also had Orioles, Catbirds, Purple Finches, Hummingbirds, and an Indigo Bunting at my feeders but haven't been able to capture any pics.

Couple of deer that were bedded down that I came across one snowy morning.

Not a very good pic because I couldn't get close enough, but worth a look because I've never seen ringers on this particular pond. We had so much snow and rain this spring that this pond, which would usually only hold dabblers, held these divers for almost two weeks. If you've never seen Ring-necked Ducks look them up. They are beautiful birds.

Another pic from too far away but here we have Blue Winged Teal.

Geese

Check out this old Coot

Took this pic while I was pumping gas. I had actually seen this bird fly over the intersection the day before, then while I was filling up he dropped right in the parking lot and started quacking in that raspy drake mallard voice. Taunting me no doubt. Can't see it in the pic but he had three curls.

Here is one of the first Robins I saw this year

This is a Red Winged Blackbird. The small duck in the background is a Green Winged Teal.

Here is a Mallard hen making a nest. In the second pic you can see her preening and pulling at her feathers in order to "feather the nest". Unfortunately, a couple of days after I took this pic the area was flooded out and she abandonded the site. But I don't think any eggs had been laid yet.

And here are a few pics of songbirds on my balcony.

And a few turtles

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Nice pics Marlin. Looks just like home--except for the turtles. Man I wish we had turtles.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2013-05-23 15:39, Woland wrote:
I like turtles, too.

I KNEW that was coming.

Magnus, you don't have turtles where you live?
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-05-23 15:44, Marlin1894 wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-23 15:39, Woland wrote:
I like turtles, too.

I KNEW that was coming.

Magnus, you don't have turtles where you live?

No. There is one river drainage in the southern part of Alberta that is part of the Missouri River system; it has painted turtles and catfish. The rest of the water flows north to the Arctic or east toward Hudson Bay--no turtles in those waters. I suspect that the winter freeze goes too deep for them to survive.

We have only one lizard in the province--also in the south. We have a handful of snakes--and a couple of them thrive up to the northern extremes (60 degrees N) of the province.

In short, my province is herpetologically challenged Smile
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
That's it! I think it's totally unfair that you don't have any turtles and I'm heading out right now to run the gas out of my lawn mower to do my part in raising global temps. And I won't stop until the turtles make their way to the Great White North!! No need to thank me, I do good deeds like this all the time.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

What kinda turtles are they, Marlin?
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
I believe they are painted turtles. The day I took the pic I was heading to another spot and I just snapped a quick shot. I really didn't even look at them, but what I see the vast majority of the time are either painted turtles or snappers. We have a lot of snapping turtles around too but they look totally different and they generally don't bask on logs like that. I'm sure they are painted turtles.

I have more pics of turtles. I'll try to find some of them or I'll take some more for you, I see them all the time.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Sweet. My daughter has a pet red-eared slider, but I'd much rather see them living wild.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
My girlfriend really like turtles too and is always telling me to catch one whenever we see them.

This was the only other pic I could find right now.

This is my snapping turtle buddy Emerson who lives at the Schlitz Audubon Center here in town. Some school kids are having a rummage sale to raise money for a new habitat for him.

I may have to go "snap" something up for the cause.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2914 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
O.k. I'm viewing some pics of the cormorants I was able to shoot this morning/afternoon Smile and suddenly GONZO appears in my mind. Smile Now I'm gonna look that up. Smile
Gotta pretty nice video of these guys today.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2914 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
The Cormorants

Check out the one at the TOP! Haven't noted one up there from this angle previously- that's not to say s/he wasn't there, perhaps was hidden by the boughs you see blowing about today! Hang on, Gonzo! I really like these guys. Smile

Saw a SINGLE goose swimming near the park shore when I arrived. I suspect it was one of the pair, Mr. Gander, I presume. First time I've seen them separated in the month I've known them, so I suspect the goose is sitting on the nest somewhere.

I only hope they will all weather the upcoming Canada Day fireworks. I wonder if the geese have prior experience with them here. By July 1st, they'll likely be molting, from what I've read, and I'm concerned that will greatly compound stress levels. The water really amplifies the noise and the island I saw the pair swimming to last time I reported, is where the fireworks are sent off.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Awesome video!
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Enjoyed the video. Thanks Laurie!
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
These are a few of the birds in and around the San Diego Region
that I was blessed to spend time with.

We were finished with the cake by the time the seagulls started in on it.
The passers by felt so bad for us, lol.

The pelican wasn't bothered in the least by my antics.
I do not know the name of the small yellow footed bird. Anyone?

Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Cool pics Devious!! We certainly don't have many birds like that around here. Thanks!!

I believe the bird the one with the yellow feet is a Snowy Egret. We actually get those passing through here once in a while but they are considered somewhat rare in this area.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
The things we see bird watching are not always pleasant. Here is some behavior, not uncommon among waterfowl, especially Mallards. I first saw this hen a 4 or 5 days ago and noticed she only had two ducklings, which is a very small brood. I wondered then if something might have happened to the rest of the young ones. A day or two later I came across this scene. What we have here is a group of drakes, possibly the original mate, but also several, obviously unmated, drakes. They are pursuing the hen in an attempt to mate. I think there are five in the video but when I first saw them there were six drakes harassing the hen and continually separating her from her young. She will not leave as her young can't fly, so she is somewhat trapped on this little body of water.

Forced copulation, even of hens with a brood, is not uncommon among mallards. Groups of unmated drakes will gang up on hens and force mating. They have also been known to kill ducklings. The hens posture with her head scrunched down shows the stress she is under.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2nPfHsn2M0
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Birders - Post your bird pics here. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL