The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Birders - Post your bird pics here. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14 [Next]
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Nice pics Devious. What kind of owl is that?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
@Marlin,
Thank you for your comment.
It means much to me sir.

@Magnus,
Thank you as well. A Great Eagle Owl.

Great now where's Laurie hmmm?
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Those pelicans are relly interesting looking birds. Very cool. And you can definately tell that pic was taken by a magician.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-05-29 02:37, Devious wrote:
@Marlin,
Thank you for your comment.
It means much to me sir.

@Magnus,
Thank you as well. A Great Eagle Owl.

Great now where's Laurie hmmm?

Thanks. Never heard of the Great Eagle Owl. It's pretty impressive.

Now I assume that's an American White Pelican next to the coin; is the multi-coloured pelican-like bird also a pelican of some kind? It's also completely foreign to me.

John
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
I saw a show, or a video, about the Eagle Owl somewhere. All I remember is they are huge. I want to say they are as big or bigger than a Bald Eagle.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2912 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I saw a little bird fly up on a sailboat when I was walking by the marina this evening. I didn't think much of it, til I zoomed in:

First time I've noticed one of these around here. Nice surprise.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

When I was a kid in Calgary, Kingfishers were very common around the rivers. I rarely see them these days Smile Nice shot again, Laurie!
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Very cool! GOod shot Laurie. They are pretty common around here in certain spots, very pretty birds. I drove about 250 miles monday checking out areas and saw quite a few birds including kingfishers, kingbirds, egrets, and of course lots of ducks, grebes, coots, etc. I was shocked to also see three bald eagles at little pond I was scouting. I've never seen a bald eagle in that area before, so to see three at once was a real treat. I did get a few pics but they didn't turn out very well because I was so far away. But I watched them through field glasses for about half an hour.

I'll be spending a lot of time in the marsh from now through the end of november so hopefully I can get a few decent pics.

Magnus, I've taken quite few pics of turtles over the summer. lol. I'll try to get a few posted when I get a chance. Had to help one cross the road a couple of weeks ago. The little bugger scratched me for my trouble!
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Here is a Great Egret milling around with some ducks.

Same Egret, count the duck butts!!

Swimming turtle

Turtle on a log

Look! It's waving!

magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2912 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie

Who's leading this gang? You posted a pic awhile back, Marlin, of a "mallard hen" with a light eye similar to the odd duck Smile here. Is that what this one is? The others I've seen seem to have dark eyes. Are they immature or is she something else Smile? Their bills appear to be different, too.

In the back here:
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2912 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
To me, she looks like one of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Northe......ale).jpg

Her bill is certainly distinctive. The light eyes, too.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Good eye!

It's definately a northern shoveler, and I do agree that it's a hen. Hunters call them spoonbills, spoonies, or spooners. Just like with the others it hard to tell the hens from the drakes this time of year but typically the drakes have a little bit of white on their face and a darker bill. When they get their breeding plumage the drakes head will be as green as a mallards. They are pretty colorful in their breeding colors, showing a lot of white and brown when they are on the water like mallards but even from a long way you can usually spot that crazy bill. Keep your eyes open there are probably some more around. Good pic, thanks!
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2912 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Thankyou, Marlin. I was a little hesitant to use the term "hen" since I'm not familiar with the duck variety of northern shoveler. Smile
Appreciate your comments. I'll keep an eye out. Smile
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
No problem, great job with the pics all year long! You really have some excellent shots.

As far as I know "hen" is the proper term for female ducks of all species. I also believe "goose" and "gander" are the proper terms for male and female geese of all types but since they are often nearly impossible to tell apart I usually just say "Hey look! A Goose!" lol

Because I hunt ducks, which I'm sure you hate lol, I spend a lot of time working on identification. It's very important to be able to ID birds on the wing quickly and correctly. It can be pretty difficult and it takes a long time to get really good at it. I'm still learning different ways all the time.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2912 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
How 'bout this one?

It's not a great shot, sorry. But it's a documentation, and I'm developing a file. Smile
This individual stopped for a rest on the cormorant tree.

I've got some video of the heron walking around- hopefully I'll be able to post it here, soon.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2912 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Greyfeather Smile

You can hear me apologize to a pedestrian who had to go around me while I stood in the middle of the sidewalk on the bridge, pretty well halfway across, wind blowing and traffic flying by behind me. I'll often step down into the bike lane to let people pass, but when I'm trying to get video, they can go around. Smile
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2013-09-06 20:29, magicalaurie wrote:

How 'bout this one?

Very hard to say from that pic. But based on how much white is on it, and the fact that I know you take a lot of pics around water, if I had guess I'd say it was an Osprey (aka Sea Hawk). Look up a picture of an Osprey and see if it looks like what you were able to see in person.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Nice call Marlin. I had no clue at first, but now that you've given me something to go on, I think you're right. Smile
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2912 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Thankyou very much, Marlin. I think that's it. It has that distinctive black band across the eyes ala Zorro. Smile I was looking at Kite and Peregrine Falcon but they didn't have that eye band. The cormorant tree is indeed along the riverbank.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/osprey/id

My eastern standard time, after adding the link, is 10:48 a.m. , BTW, not 2:37 p.m Smile Smile
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
This pic and the question "True or False: This is a blue winged teal" caused quite a kerfuffle on a duck junkies forum yesterday. What do you think? I bet Magnus or Laurie can get it right.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Birders - Post your bird pics here. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL