The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Birders - Post your bird pics here. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Sure would like to see the bill and/or feet. But I think Laurie already identified one of these a few days ago!
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2013-09-11 10:53, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Sure would like to see the bill and/or feet. But I think Laurie already identified one of these a few days ago!

Very good! It's a shoveler. It's kind of a trick cause you would never see just that little bit of a bird. It was funny though because while most people said false, a lot of people were very adamant that it was a teal. They were posting things like "you guys don't know your ducks". "I can't believe you guys call yourself hunters, you shouldn't be allowed to hunt ducks if you can't even ID one in a picture". "You're stupid" etc.

I was actually familiar with the source picture so eventually I posted the full pic. Even after I had posted the picture there still some people INSISTING it was a teal. One guy even said to me "you don't know your birds". AFTER I posted the picture. Then all of the sudden several people guessed it was a gadwall! Again, after the full pic was posted. The whole thing was weird. It was very similar to some of the "discussions" that go on around here*. lol

Good job though! There isn't a whole lot to go on in the cropped pic but you found enough to make the positive ID.

*This thread is now 9 pages long and nearly a year and a half old, and so far no one has come in and intentionally tried to ruin it. I'm very pleased about that. I know only handful of people participate in it, and I'm pleased about that as well and appreciate all the contributions.
Bazinga
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Bazinga
Quote:
On 2013-09-04 11:02, Marlin1894 wrote:

Son (or grandson) of Gamera!
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Thanks Marlin. You give me too much credit. I narrowed it down to a few candidates, but guessed that your post was related to the earlier discussion. The bill seals the deal, though.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2013-09-11 14:57, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
I narrowed it down to a few candidates, but guessed that your post was related to the earlier discussion. The bill seals the deal, though.

Well, intuition is a valuable tool in itself. You'd think it would be impossible to mistake that bill but one taxidermist on the thread said he's had people bring those in on more than one occasion believing it was a blue wing. Go figure.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2914 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
Turkey Vultures?
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2914 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Yes.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2914 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Looks like the Mallards are starting to turn here, Marlin. They spook quite a bit these days, too. Pretty wise. Pics later. Smile
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2013-09-24 15:52, magicalaurie wrote:
Looks like the Mallards are starting to turn here, Marlin. They spook quite a bit these days, too. Pretty wise. Pics later. Smile

Cool. I just saw a bunch of locals on a pond here a few days ago and I was surprised to see that the majority of them had full green heads. A few were about half-way changed over but definitely a little further along than I expected. Looking forward to the pics.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2914 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie

Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Thanks Laurie...that was super quick!
I have several new bird pics to upload...
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2914 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
You're welcome, Israel. Smile
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Cool pics! I expected them to be a little further along, but they are definitely changing over and it won't be long now before they are done.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Diving ducks have been having a rough time on the great lakes this year with all the ice. But it has provided a few opportunities to see birds that typically stay further from shore on the bigger water. Here I was able to snap a few pics of some diving ducks from the shoreline. I wonder if anyone here can ID any of the ducks in these pics. I see three species.

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
Goldeneye and scaup?
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Good job! Goldeneyes and scaup (or as we call them, "bluebills"). One more species, and a very beautiful example to boot. Best seen in the third pic.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
I want to say the guy on the left front is a canvasback but not sure.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2014, landmark wrote:
I want to say the guy on the left front is a canvasback but not sure.

That's actually not a bad guess! People who aren't sure will see that bird and say "it's either a canvasback or it's a _________"

I'll give you a clue. The drake duck in question and the canvasback drake share one very distinctive feature. In fact, it's that shared feature that gives the bird in question it's name.

Once you know the differences they are actually very easy to tell apart. But the fact that they both share that feature causes a lot of people to confuse the two. I bet you'll get it now.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Birders - Post your bird pics here. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL