The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Birders - Post your bird pics here. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..12~13~14 [Next]
Intrepid
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, MD
989 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Quote:
On 2012-05-16 01:25, hestonsmagic wrote:
So lets ask... what are people using for binoculars and spitting scopes

We have three binoculars all 7 x 35 of different makes. No spotting scope yet, but maybe down the road. Any recommendations?
Bob
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
We always carry a couple of pairs of inexpensive 12 X 25 field glasses, Bushnell and/or Tascos I think. We just keep them with our gear so we always have them. Even those low power glasses make a big difference. I have a bigger of pair at home for looking outside and that I will take to sporting events sometimes. But they are just too clunky to carry around all day.

I do have a spotting scope which I use for shooting but I've never taken it out to look at birds. You really need a long distance and/or stationary target for the scope to be effective. Although I've been thinking about taking it out to look at the birds on Lake Michigan that sit way offshore. The spotting scope is a 25-75 (variable) x 75. It's not a high end scope but it serves the purpose I bought it for.

What do you and your birding friends like to carry? I would like to get a higher end pair of optics in the near future.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
I also wear my duck call lanyard which contains two duck calls and a 6N1 whistle that can make all sorts of duck and bird sounds. I always call to ducks when I see them overhead and can usually get them to turn around and take another look if not land. When I'm out nature hiking I put one of those little audubon calls on the lanyard and a different kind of bird whistle in my pocket. I don't know if those little audubon calls are just meant to be a toy for kids, but I do get birds to react to it in the woods.

Do real birders consider it unethical to use calls to attract or locate birds? I'm not talking about the electronic calls, just those little whistles and hand calls. I do it sparingly but find it effective at times. And they are fun to use.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2012-05-16 10:13, Marlin1894 wrote:

Do real birders consider it unethical to use calls to attract or locate birds?

Don't see why they would. You're not shooting them.

But most of the crows I know don't think it's very ethical to send out phony messages just to jerk them around. Smile
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2012-05-16 10:28, mastermindreader wrote:
Don't see why they would. You're not shooting them.

Not until October. lol

Quote:
But most of the crows I know don't think it's very ethical to send out phony messages just to jerk them around. Smile

Lol! That's what I was wondering, is it a form of harassment? I think those electronic calls are borderline. But I just make little peeps and chirps and listen to hear if anything reacts.

If a crow ever asked my why I was sending out phony messages just to jerk them around I'd say "CAWS!"
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
My crows told me that if you did that you would, pursuant to Crow Law, be subject to unannounced fly-by shootings. Well, bombings actually.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2012-05-16 10:49, mastermindreader wrote:
My crows told me that if you did that you would, pursuant to Crow Law, be subject to unannounced fly-by shootings. Well, bombings actually.

That's why I always wear my bird watching helmet and goggles.

Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I've seen a car like that, that was "Denver-booted" in Rome, under the trees where the starlings roost. Several inches thick . . .
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Didn't get any pics but saw a lot of birds this weekend scouting the Theresa Marsh area. Saw Great Blue Herons, Green Herons, Turkey Vultures, many ducks and geese including some Green Winged Teal and some that may have been Black Ducks. Or maybe they were just Mallards. Also Sandhill Cranes and all sorts of songbirds. We watched the Blue Heron hunt down and eat four large frogs.

The Theresa Marsh is very near to Horicon Marsh which is internatonally known and is on Birdzillias top 25 list of places to birdwatch. The Horicon Marsh Birdwatching Festival is on their top 10 list of birding festivals. So it's a great place to look for birds especially waterfowl, particularly during migration periods. Will try to get pics next time.

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/wild......resa.htm
http://www.horiconmarshbirdclub.com/index.cfm
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Marlin1894, are you sure that is a barn swallow in your first post? We have different swallows over here but the whole stance and lack of red forehead makes me think it is something else.......
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2012-05-21 15:10, jugglestruck wrote:
Marlin1894, are you sure that is a barn swallow in your first post?

I'm pretty sure. They are so common, and I have been seeing them my whole life, that I didn't even bother to look it up. There are subspecies that may account for the differences, or it may just be a difference in how we refer to them as opposed as what you call them over there.

I just pulled up Barn Swallow on Google Images and Wiki and it seems to be the same bird.

http://www.google.com/search?q=barn%20sw......fm1M3ICg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barn_Swallow

There is another kind of swallow that is quite common over here that I don't know the real name for. It's mostly a greyish white and I just call them "swallows", but I have always called the blue ones barn swallows. You are right about the forehead not being red. I think I have some other pics of them I will have to look into. Am I mis-identifying it?
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
I was looking at those pictures too and that was what made me think it wasn't a swallow! I could well be wrong but surely it should have a reddish forehead? And swallows sit much lower than that?
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2012-05-21 15:42, jugglestruck wrote:
I was looking at those pictures too and that was what made me think it wasn't a swallow! I could well be wrong but surely it should have a reddish forehead? And swallows sit much lower than that?

I honestly don't know. But they are all over the place. It certainly looked like one flying around. Now, that bird had a youngster in that bird house, but right behind where I was standing there was a building and it had about a dozen of those mud swallow nests under the eaves and there were a bunch flying around.

But now I'm not sure what it is. I'll see if I can find out.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
I think maybe it's just a plain Bluebird! With all the swallows flying around etc I guess I just assumed that was one as well. But now that you mention the colors, and the fact that it was in that bird house, it must be a Bluebird. I was duped!

Great catch! Thanks.

jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
No problem!
Just for the record, all my life I have wanted to see a swallow in March. I have kept a record of first swallow sightings and the earliest I got was April 1st in 1998. Until last year.......two on March 30th. I can now die a happy man.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2012-05-21 16:20, jugglestruck wrote:
Until last year.......two on March 30th. I can now die a happy man.

Congrats! Must be that global warming. lol
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Got a few more. First one is a tree swallow. Great looking bird but they did not appreciate me approaching that nesting box one bit. I was heavily dive bombed by two of them. Sent my girlfriend running away screaming and chased me off as well. They were very aggressive and swooped within inches of my head/face several times.

More BLUEbirds.

This is a baby bird but I'm not sure what kind. Maybe a Bluejay? It was all by itself with no parents around that I could see.

A pair of Spotted Sandpipers (yes, a pair. If you don't see them both right away look again) It was hard to take this picture because they blend in with the surroundings so well. They are hard to see even from a short distance, especially on the tiny screen of my camera. When they stop moving they practically disappear.

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
There was an eagle living in the tree across from my Grandma's house but nobody saw him when we were running the yard sale this weekend so he may have moved. But there are a bumload of marmots infesting the property now.
I wonder if I should have got those video binoculars I saw at the Goodwill...
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2012-05-29 12:14, critter wrote:
I wonder if I should have got those video binoculars I saw at the Goodwill...

I've wondered if those things are any good. Does it actually magnify what you are shooting so that what you see through the glasses is what you see on the video?
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1306 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Pretty much the only bird I recognize...

Sent from my Typewriter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Birders - Post your bird pics here. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..12~13~14 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL