The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » DAMAGE by Dave Forrest (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Phatmeat
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, Maryland
555 Posts

Profile of Phatmeat
I think this looks like a great T&R effect: http://youtu.be/osu8-Nwh1Kk
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1533 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Quote:
On 2012-05-14 14:28, Phatmeat wrote:
I think this looks like a great T&R effect: http://youtu.be/osu8-Nwh1Kk

Yes, but this seems so boring... What is the justification for this effect? Nothing. I prefer "Star", by the same creator.
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8824 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Is there a justification for any T n R? I think this looks great. Looking forward to some reviews.
Gorecki
View Profile
Loyal user
My servante is currently filled with
267 Posts

Profile of Gorecki
It does look great.
I love that it takes a second "try" to get all the damage out. Very fun!
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1253 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Quote:
On 2012-05-14 14:44, doriancaudal wrote:
Yes, but this seems so boring... What is the justification for this effect? Nothing. I prefer "Star", by the same creator.

if I only had a penny for every time a spectator had stopped me and shouted "WHAT IS THE JUSTIFICATION FOR THIS EFFECT?"

I bought it, it's good, it's not necessarily the best thing I have purchased from Dave Forrest but it is very good and will I'm sure be a big hit when performed. The restoration is very, very nice. All really well produced and nicely made.
It's very different from STAR, can't really compare them. I put this as almost an impromptu style effect, one of those 'accident' things that work really well as part of a set. Like the disappearing box effect, not going to just perform that and walk off, this is a valuable asset to have.

The video talks about a couple of practical things, storage and prep which are really nice to see.

Not difficult to perform and you won't really need anything out of the ordinary, though you will need to be able to hold a deck of cards etc.

Shouldn't really need to be said but it's not hiding any nasty method cuts or anything, it plays as shown in the trailer. Very nice I say!
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Looks nice I do love Dave Forrest's stuff.
NFW
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1050 Posts

Profile of NFW
I thought it looked great - boring ??
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1353 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Can we get a demo without all the silly cuts and effects?
Official Thread Killer
Kevin Schaller
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
264 Posts

Profile of Kevin Schaller
Damage is really clever, love the details he added to make it look as magical and real as possible.

It is easy to perform which makes it a real worker.

Kevin
'Geniuses can make the world a better place or make it fall apart alongside their own minds.” - Kevin Schaller
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6996 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Sticky, nothing is left out. You are basically seeing the full effect how the spectator would see it.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Noel
View Profile
Regular user
Surrey, England
135 Posts

Profile of Noel
Damage is fantastic. A really great effect with a super convincing method that I'm looking forward to performing. If you like
T & R effects then get this, it's right up there with the best.
Steve Haynes
View Profile
Inner circle
Southeastern United States
1089 Posts

Profile of Steve Haynes
Reminds me of something Bernard Billis done years ago,but much better.

The fact they seem to still see their card ripped after the card is turned over and they clearly see their signature in a very open manner as the restore seems to happen is a powerful moment and done without a switch of any kind and can be handed out that instant is some very clever thinking in my opinion,not to mention how easy it is as well.

S
sohaib
View Profile
Special user
San Ramon, CA
577 Posts

Profile of sohaib
I love it!
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1057 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Great work dave!!!

looks amazing

John
mathewsherryk
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of mathewsherryk
I got mine just today and seems like the coolest method out there. Great work Dave!

That being said, I would prefer to use it as an accident handled magically, if I understood what Olympic Adam said in the sense he meant. I tried it as a trick while performing for my mom. Something like how Hollingworth entered his Reformation routine by saying that the card is going to be torn and then fixed and all. My mom felt the fact that I held the deck in my hand as pretty suspicious. She asked me to put down the deck and then do the restoration bit. I din't know how exactly to counter that issue.

But when I performed it for my girlfriend, I made it look like I accidentally tore the card and she started giggling wildly saying it's ok and kissed me on the cheek to make me feel better about the apparent faux passe. Guys, you should have seen her reaction when she actually saw me restore the torn card right then and there in front of her eyes! That reaction is what made me confident that this would be a superb way of presenting it. And since it happens as an accident, she dint know what to expect as I started the restoration. The fact that it was clearly seen to be her signed card is what actually got her shocked.

I remember Mike Skinner doing a similar effect where he accidentally tears a card and then puts aside the torn card in his pocket and when the spectator chooses another card, it is found to be the same (signed?) card that was torn just moments ago.

Another instance where it hits the audience right behind their heads is where Copperfield performs his Deathsaw as an escape gone wrong and then righted by his magic.

Thanks a ton Dave Forrest for releasing this gem!

Matt
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Profile of Justin N. Miller
Looks really good! It does however look very similar to dan hauss's torn and restored card on his restless dvd. Not accusing anyone of any crazy stuff..just seeing a comparison.
Did dan and billi's get credit on the effect?

JM
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
968 Posts

Profile of TheGreatRaymondo
Looks very similar to 'Torn Twisted and Restored' by Steve Leathwaite but not as good or anywhere near as convincing.
Take a look:

http://www.worldmagicshop.com/Torn_Twist......rest.htm
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6996 Posts

So Damage is based on a trick of Dave's called Ripped & Repaired that came out maybe ten years ago. In that version, he tears the corner off a card staples it back on as a joke and then visually heals the card. I need to check out Restless (I do have it but can;t remember the T&R). But the visual heal is Dave's and is what really makes the effect.

Raymondo, I don't understand. Are you saying Stephen's is more convincing. I think Torn, Twisted and Restored is a cool trick but in no way more convincing than damage. It's a completely different effect, more akin to the Albo Card effect that Michael Ammar sells.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
968 Posts

Profile of TheGreatRaymondo
Hi Cameron,
Yes - I am saying that Torn Twisted & Restored is more convincing due to the fact that with this effect the bottom part of the card is completely torn off,signed, turned over, shown to be completely seperated then restored in front of the spectators eyes. With Damage from what I can see on the video trailer the card is only partly torn off then quickly restored without the card being lifted off the deck or shown in any other way. Only after the restoration is the card lifted from the deck and shown. For this reason I think it is far from convincing and lacks any real gravitas as a serious T&R effect (I need to own up here and admit to being a complete and total T&R effect junkie!). I also think David's extravagant claim of 'Damage is torn and restored card effect unlike any other' is just a little bit OTT - But hey what's new with a magician hyping his own creation ;-)
I wish him luck with it, but certainly not for me.
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6996 Posts

I respect your opinion. I personally don't agree that it's stronger. I think they are very different effects.

I also don't think that tearing a piece all the way off or not makes any difference in the world. A tear is a tear. The spectators can unquestionably see the card is torn. But, for my money, what sells Damage is the visual heal of the card. That is its major selling point. That's what makes it unlike any other T&R. Can you name another T&R where the card is visually healed like that?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » DAMAGE by Dave Forrest (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.39 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL