The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » DAMAGE by Dave Forrest (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6996 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
BTW, you CAN remove the card from the deck and "heal" the card away from it. It does not have to stay on the deck. It is then immediately examinable.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6996 Posts

Just watched Dan's T&R. Really nice effect! But the torn card convincer that Dan uses was indeed published by Dave eight years before Restless as Ripped & Repaired. Therefore Dave does get the credit. But I really like Dan's mis-made card idea for it. It's a nice touch.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Profile of Justin N. Miller
Quote:
On 2012-08-16 20:38, Cameron Francis wrote:
Just watched Dan's T&R. Really nice effect! But the torn card convincer that Dan uses was indeed published by Dave eight years before Restless as Ripped & Repaired. Therefore Dave does get the credit. But I really like Dan's mis-made card idea for it. It's a nice touch.

Cool, thanks for checking on that cameron! I was not sure. The convincer is really really good!
JM
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I like this, but am a little amused by the advertising that claimed that if you tear a card into four pieces, the first restoration is magical, but anything after that is "boring". I think a certain Danny Garcia would vehemently disagree.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
AutarchicFlux
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of AutarchicFlux
I agree - this is a beautiful effect, but it doesn't take the place of a piece-by-piece restoration.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Yeah. I had to laugh when I read that. I knew it wss all hype, but it's amazing how they will say anything to sell an item, even to the point of putting down the classics. And the four piece restoration has stood the test of time. And now they are trying to sell me on thelast three pieces restoration being "boring"
Now I admit that the classic restoration does not have the same " off the cuff" feel as Dave's new effect, so when you are looking for that kind of feel, go for Dave's effect. Otherwise, stick with the classics.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
So a Winner?
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
968 Posts

Profile of TheGreatRaymondo
Quote:
On 2012-08-23 19:48, daffydoug wrote:
Yeah. I had to laugh when I read that. I knew it wss all hype, but it's amazing how they will say anything to sell an item, even to the point of putting down the classics. And the four piece restoration has stood the test of time. And now they are trying to sell me on thelast three pieces restoration being "boring"
Now I admit that the classic restoration does not have the same " off the cuff" feel as Dave's new effect, so when you are looking for that kind of feel, go for Dave's effect. Otherwise, stick with the classics.

It was (and is) such a silly thing to say as one of Mr Forrest's recent release was...
yep a 4 piece T&R effect called STAR!! I wonder if that's now 'boring'?
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1253 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
They are both great effects, (STAR and Damage) they are very different, Damage doesn't replace a TnR but it's excellent for what it is, it looks as real as you get
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1079 Posts

Profile of taller8
I have one for Sale if interested. Pm me. It's good.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
It was (and is) such a silly thing to say as one of Mr Forrest's recent release was...
yep a 4 piece T&R effect called STAR!! I wonder if that's now 'boring'?

Good question!!
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1258 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Does the effect take a considerable amount of sleight? Whats the cleanliness of the conclusion?
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1258 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
I just received Damage and thought I'd write a quick blurb. This effect actually packs a lot of punch! I also enjoy doing it in an impromptu fashion although I make the tear my whole effect at times. Either way it produces a tremendous reaction. Of course you always get the odd heckler that asks to search through your whole packet, whether in pocket or not (worst pet peeve). I tend to throw this into many other card routines at the end for a visual kicker. You need some basic card skills and found that I had a more "preferred" that I found easier and more hidden. You can milk the restoration to death, which I just love. Probably one of the easiest and most visual tears I've ever encountred. This is what its supposed to look like. I also love that he teaches how to make the gimmicks so no need to worry about pesky refills. I find the gimmick to be very nice and durable although I could care less if it was durable because they're so easy to make. All round great product!
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-05-14 14:28, Phatmeat wrote:
I think this looks like a great T&R effect: http://youtu.be/osu8-Nwh1Kk

That card sure did look torn. Nice work, dave!
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1258 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
This may be my best purchase this year in terms of simplicity, visuals and to completely honest, "unexpectedly insane" reactions from the spectators. I'm actally basing this review primarily for that reason because I felt it was going to be one of those fly by tricks that people just say "Hmm .. Neat" but in contrast, they were mesmorized to the point of screams. There are many T&R's out there that require more difficulty and practice whereas you WILL be performing this the same day as you open it. The DVD is short, sweet and to the point. Just how I like it. As usual, Dave is very elaborate in his explanations and offers many different handlings, patter and misdirection, alhtough there is not much needed at all, trust me. Personally this is an "impromptu" effect. I'll just finish up say an "Ultra Gum" and after the cheers I'll begin "Damage". I say "Now this is one of my favoite card tricks of all time" and "accidently" rip a card and pretend to be devistated because it was my favorit decks. Then I say "luckily I'm a magician so I've been well trained to handle these situation" and simply HEAL the card on both sides in a way that anybody who does not have this trick yet needs to experience. The illusion, if performed correctly (which it will be) is mind boggling. When you heal the front they're already jumping up and down, but when you heal the back of their signed card and give it to them for complete examination, they just look like a deer caught in headlights. You can see in their eyes that it will take a few seconds for their brain to absorb what they've just witnessed.

HIGHLIGHT:
Dave teaches how to make the gimmick in detail and it is a 2-5 minute job. And believe me when I say that the gimmick is UNBELIEVEABLE! For those of you who have ever read any of my reviews, you know that it is extremely rare for me to say that there are absolutely NO limitations. Even the cleanup is childs play .. there basically is no cleanup.

If you want reactions, bang for your buck and a whole lot of fun, BUY DAMAGE NOW. This was my first Dave Forrest purchase and I am an instant fan! Put the item in the shopping cart before you talk yourself out of itand you'll see what I mean.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4309 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
I certainly like the look of this as I don 't really do any T&R in my repertoire ,did get PHUZED and found it to fidily,so mmm thinking about this one.Oh how much and where can I purchase, it anyone?.
Stevie Tricker
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Stevie Tricker
£15 for the download only, £18 for DVD with gimmick and free download.

1st post and not sure if hyperlinking to purchase pages is allowed but if you internet search "full52 damage" on any search engine apart from Bing it should take you straight there.

To me this is a great effect and some well developed thinking; I feel the handling is as simple and straightforward/streamlined as a T&R can get (maybe excluding reform by the same creator).

Steve Haynes touched on this but the real strength of the effect and the reason why I think the reactions are so great is that you can do the final restoration from a damaged card to a healed one slowly with empty hands while away from the deck and then just hand it straight out.

Also if you go for the "off the deck" handling then needing both hands to do the final restore gives you the perfect excuse to put the deck in your pocket for a moment and clean up when you take it out again.

If you like this then check out "1st aid box" which is a T&R card case by Cameron Francis also available at Full 52 which again is quite straightforward to do. I don't think that you would want to do them both in the same set but having both in your repertoire has its benefits. If someone who's seen you do Damage asks you to show it to a friend you can act like you're happy to oblige them but tear and restore the case instead, or vice versa.

I'm sure this has occurred to anyone who has both.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6996 Posts

Great suggestion! And thank you for the nice mention! Smile
Stevie Tricker
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Stevie Tricker
No worries Cameron, credit where it's due. I've got a lot of respect for your work so a positive response from you to my 1st post means a lot, thank you Smile
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4309 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On 2012-11-13 12:31, Stevie Tricker wrote:
£15 for the download only, £18 for DVD with gimmick and free download.

1st post and not sure if hyperlinking to purchase pages is allowed but if you internet search "full52 damage" on any search engine apart from Bing it should take you straight there.

To me this is a great effect and some well developed thinking; I feel the handling is as simple and straightforward/streamlined as a T&R can get (maybe excluding reform by the same creator).

Steve Haynes touched on this but the real strength of the effect and the reason why I think the reactions are so great is that you can do the final restoration from a damaged card to a healed one slowly with empty hands while away from the deck and then just hand it straight out.

Also if you go for the "off the deck" handling then needing both hands to do the final restore gives you the perfect excuse to put the deck in your pocket for a moment and clean up when you take it out again.

If you like this then check out "1st aid box" which is a T&R card case by Cameron Francis also available at Full 52 which again is quite straightforward to do. I don't think that you would want to do them both in the same set but having both in your repertoire has its benefits. If someone who's seen you do Damage asks you to show it to a friend you can act like you're happy to oblige them but tear and restore the case instead, or vice versa.

I'm sure this has occurred to anyone who has both.

Fantastic info ,thankyou very much,all the best.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » DAMAGE by Dave Forrest (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL