The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Bicycle ESP Test Deck with Teaching DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
Can anyone please tell me if you are familiar with this Bicycle ESP Test Deck with Teaching DVD featuring Rudy T Hunter and Marty Grams?

I am wondering if the dvd is worth the added cost or should I just get the ESP deck and a different DVD?
Have been looking for a ESP deck with 5 different colors and this one has just what I have been looking for.
Any comments on this package would be very appreciated.

http://www.rockridgemagic.com/0656.html

Thanks Richard

"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"
It's An Illusion Unless I Can't Fix It Then It's A Reality.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
I can't speak about this product as I do not own it. What I can say is that you should avoid ESP decks with familiar playing card backs. The audience will see those cards as playing cards, and not a tool used to test ESP. They turn what should be ESP tests into "card tricks". Smile
Ross
View Profile
Elite user
Bristol
479 Posts

Profile of Ross
Fair point. However, the most likely place in popular culture people will have seen ESP cards is in the opening scene of the first Ghostbusters film, where the back of the card design are blue bikes.

Ross
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2012-05-18 09:42, Ross wrote:
Fair point. However, the most likely place in popular culture people will have seen ESP cards is in the opening scene of the first Ghostbusters film, where the back of the card design are blue bikes.

Ross

Yes, but those were also Jumbo Cards and didn't have multi-colored faces. I agree that ESP cards should not automatically create an association with playing cards or games. That is why I use either the original style, the Beyond ESP cards, or the ParaLabs cards. They all look like something that would be used in an actual testing lab. Poker size ESP cards with Bicyle backs and multicolored faces seem to scream "card trick." (Especially if you do anything else in your act that uses regular playing cards.)

IMO.
TonyBrand
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
508 Posts

Profile of TonyBrand
Not to get too sidetracked, but does anyone use Zener cards from the Rhine Research Center?

http://www.rhine.org/zenercards.htm

I would think with a little time and effort, these cards could be customized to perform any effect you currently perform with Zener cards.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Yes- the original Zener cards were what I once used exclusively. They were readily available magic shops and didn't cost an arm and a leg like they do today.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
I use the ones made by Royal. They look nice and there is something "special" about them that is not mentioned in the instructions. Smile
TonyBrand
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
508 Posts

Profile of TonyBrand
Well, that's a shame. I would have preferred to keep both my arms and legs, but now I may have to part with both.

Bob - thanks again for recommending The Conscious Universe; I'm halfway through and learned more about parapsychology than I could have imagined.
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
All very good points to consider thank you all.
I will be looking at the other ESP decks mentioned especially the Beyond ESP 3 set.
Seen the Rhine cards mentioned very good choice do they have all white backs?

I thought these looked better and maybe less likely to be thought by the general public to be marked or gaffed being they do have Bike backs than the ones used in Psycho II Larry Becker ESP test which is what I am wanting these multi color ones for to recreate. I wouldn't have ever thought multi colored cards until I seen this video below. Very good effect I thought, and kinda funny when the crystal ball he uses almost falls on the floor lucky to be saved by the spectator. Smile

Demo by Paul Daniels: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkrdiSlUFnk

Read someplace that Paul had recommended Sean Taylor's Symbology decks to get the multi colored cards but then seen these Bikes and thought they would be better for today's use being they are very familiar to most everyone. There are many full sets of each color including all black ones if the color ones seem to bring suspicion I could change to those. Cheap enough if they don't work out leave them in the drawer use something else for other ESP routines.

Just remember growing up when I seen any other type cards used than bikes I was immediately suspicious they were gaffed or marked in some way. I never had access to shaved short cards, stripped or marked Bikes back then so trusted those to be normal decks when seen used. Smile

Today many bikes are now being gimmicked but don't know if all the general public knows this, probably so with the internet at every ones fingertips with youtube available now. Smile

You all have got me even more interested in ESP card routines now so any other suggestions, DVD's, Cards Sets, or anything else would be very helpful.

Thanks Richard
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

It's not that Bicycle backs seem "normal" to the public. The problem is that they are immediately associated with playing cards, and since the faces are colored ESP symbols, the association becomes "special playing cards." "Special playing cards" associates with card tricks and trick cards.

Even though they are expensive, I would recommend that you take a serious look at the ParaLabs cards. Because of their size and design, they don't look or feel like playing cards and appear to be authentic parapsychology tools.
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
Quote:
On 2012-05-18 12:36, mastermindreader wrote:
It's not that Bicycle backs seem "normal" to the public. The problem is that they are immediately associated with playing cards, and since the faces are colored ESP symbols, the association becomes "special playing cards." "Special playing cards" associates with card tricks and trick cards.

Even though they are expensive, I would recommend that you take a serious look at the ParaLabs cards. Because of their size and design, they don't look or feel like playing cards and appear to be authentic parapsychology tools.

Yes I can see now they certainty would be thought of as special playing cards you are right.

I will look now for the ParaLabs cards thanks very much.

BTW your picture is great I feel like my mind has been totally read just looking at it! Smile

Richard
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

It was!

Just like to add that the ParaLab cards are also indetectably gaffed with one of the best systems I've ever seen.
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
[quote]On 2012-05-18 12:58, MrWizard wrote:
Quote:

BTW your picture is great I feel like my mind has been totally read just looking at it! Smile

Richard

Quote:
On 2012-05-18 14:55, mastermindreader wrote:
It was!

Just like to add that the ParaLab cards are also indetectably gaffed with one of the best systems I've ever seen.

I knew it.... you are so good I don't even have to be in the room just behind a monitor is close enough. Smile

I looked at the ParaLab cards at Tannens I am getting these for sure. Smile
Is that where you would might suggest to get them from or you know some place else that has these?

I see the combo deal PLF ESP Cards with the PLF ESP Collection Book, is that worth doing or just the cards IYHO.

So glad these were suggested I have never seem them before.
I know I will be really happy with the ParaLab cards very nice can't wait to get them.

Richard

It's An Illusion. Unless I Can't Fix It, Then It's A Reality.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Yes, it is absolutely a good idea to purchase the combo. While you can purchase these directly through ParaLabs, their exclusive US dealer is Tannens.

These cards are also available in what they refer to as "parlour" size - larger than usual but not quite as big as traditional jumbo cards.

Either way, I am sure you will be very happy with these.

Good thoughts,

Bob
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
Bob

Thanks so much appreciate your knowledge and your time replying to me.

Richard
Ross
View Profile
Elite user
Bristol
479 Posts

Profile of Ross
Bob's advice is spot on here as ever - the Paralabs cards are wonderful.

You may also like to check out the MK-MOD cards by Simon Edwards, which I've been using lately. The backs of these also look like genuine testing tools.

I should also like to mention that when I use the Bike cards, I just make up two sets of (5) black-symboled designs, and discard the rest of the pack with the goofy-looking reds, oranges and yellows.

Ross
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
Thanks Ross I will check out the MK-MOD as well.
If I wouldn't have seen that Paul Daniels video I wouldn't have ever thought of or looked for multi colored cards. That effect will work with just blacks cards fine.
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
Quote:
On 2012-05-18 11:51, TonyBrand wrote:
Bob - thanks again for recommending The Conscious Universe; I'm halfway through and learned more about parapsychology than I could have imagined.

Tony

You should also check out Dean Radin's Entangled minds: extrasensory experiences in a quantum reality.
Published 2009 also very good.

Richard
TonyBrand
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
508 Posts

Profile of TonyBrand
Thanks for the heads up, Richard. I will have to check this out soon, along with Russell Targ's "The Reality of ESP".
david12345
View Profile
Special user
714 Posts

Profile of david12345
How do beyond esp compare with para or MK? I just recently purchased beyond esp 2 and am quite pleased.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Bicycle ESP Test Deck with Teaching DVD (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL