The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Which Strategy to use for Marketing Your Services? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Steve Hart
View Profile
Veteran user
Cocoa, FL
388 Posts

Profile of Steve Hart
It took me years to figure out how to market myself as a professional magician....Once I found a few strategies that worked...my career became a success.

I had several magician friends who I thought were better performers than me...but they could not make a good living performing magic because they never learned how to market themselves.

I found a few strategies that worked for me....it had the most lasting effect upon my career....it is called, "Position Marketing"
Google it...if you don't know what it is?

It works....and it is not that hard....AND it does not cost that much....but you do have to apply its principles to make it work for you.

So what have you done to position yourself within you market?
www.SteveHartSpeaks.com
www.magic2motivate.com
"Motivational Magicians are some of the highest paid magicians, find out why?"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I think the key is that you STILL have to be able to deliver a product that people want. I don't care HOW you position yourself, without being able to deliver a good quality product you are sunk.

OBVIOUSLY you have a better product than you might have thought.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Steve Hart
View Profile
Veteran user
Cocoa, FL
388 Posts

Profile of Steve Hart
Danny,
I agree....

If you do NOT deliver...then all the strategy in the world will NOT hold you in the Number One position and they will NOT hire you again....and the word will get around.

Position Marketing is all about being NOT only in the most popular but also the best.

So how do you let people know you are the best through your marketing?
www.SteveHartSpeaks.com
www.magic2motivate.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Generally speaking the show does that work for me.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Interesting. There seems to be a trend that I think the message is being misunderstood. First it was identified that entertainers typically neglected, didn't put in the time and effort, were lazy or simply just dreaded or hated the business side of show business or entertaining.

The message was entertainers need to understand, take control and be proactive in their business and marketing efforts. While this message was being delivered, technology at the exact same time allowed us to start doing many of the things we used to have to outsourcing or hire others to do - printing, promo materials, video and editing, web site design and creation, marketing and so on.

This led to the trend of SEO (Search Engine Optimization), and several other popular marketing methods and techniques that are supposed to help us create traffic, opt-in email address which we can in turn do direct target marketing to through e-mailings, regular mailing, updates newsletters, and on and on.

While all of this is good, I can't help but see an aftermath of performers now being more concerned with all of this combined with branding, positioning and so forth, yet they do not have a decent, polished, credible and perfected show. The show is the foundation, and everything else is in addition and in support of your show. Your show is your product. You will never succeed with a lousy product. You may get some initial progress, but the staying power, longevity of return business and off shoot business will never occur. Seems many are hearing the message incorrectly and putting the cart before the horse. This results in terrible
Steve Hart
View Profile
Veteran user
Cocoa, FL
388 Posts

Profile of Steve Hart
Danny,

I don't believe I know you....
But in response to your last posting I would be willing to give a FREE coaching session.

Maybe we can zero in on how you can make "The Show" work for you along with a strategy of "Position Marketing"

After working professionally now for over 30 years...with my experience and personal success...I have been able to help other magicians and variety artist get what they want through my coaching.

http://www.SteveHartSpeaks.com

Send me a private message and we can set up a time to talk.
www.SteveHartSpeaks.com
www.magic2motivate.com
Steve Hart
View Profile
Veteran user
Cocoa, FL
388 Posts

Profile of Steve Hart
Mindpro,

I agree...to everything there is a balance....both product and promotion.

If you don't have a good product to sell....no matter how successfully you promote your product...you will not be successful.

I will share with you a secret I rarely share....if you really want to know if someone is good or not and they have a long list of references....

When you contact someone who is listed as a reference and you ask them if they were any good? Most people will say, "YES" but here is the real question you always want to follow that up with, "Would you hire them again?" Their answer to that question is what you really want to hear.

That question is the real test of FIRE! That question will tell you if they an act is good or not...

I hope this helps.
www.SteveHartSpeaks.com
www.magic2motivate.com
LVMagicAL
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of LVMagicAL
Quote:
On 2012-05-21 17:14, Steve Hart wrote:
Danny,

I don't believe I know you....
But in response to your last posting I would be willing to give a FREE coaching session.

I wanna hear how this works out.....Danny taking advice from someone. It's a L O N G shot.......and my money is on "no way".
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have spent a lifetime taking advice from people. When you say you don't know me you couldn't be more right.

Believe it or not lots of people achieve their goals.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Steve Hart
View Profile
Veteran user
Cocoa, FL
388 Posts

Profile of Steve Hart
LVMagical,

I am not sure how to take your post....

Now that I have discovered you are also a "Coach" a "Motivational Speaker" as listed on your Website....I do NOT understand why would make such a comment?

Everything we do or say "Positions" us in the market place....both positive and the negative....You get to choose how you want to be positioned.
www.SteveHartSpeaks.com
www.magic2motivate.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
He was trying to be sarcastic. In his world that sort of thing passes for wit.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
LVMagicAL
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of LVMagicAL
Just voicing my personal opinion that I doubted Danny Doyle would be open to taking advice from anyone. Apparently I was wrong since he says he's taken lots of advice from others throughout his life. Therefore, I stand corrected. Sarcastic witty comment officially withdrawn.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I feel another guru in the making? Sounds like some blatant promotion out of nowhere.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Apparently 2.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Steve Hart
View Profile
Veteran user
Cocoa, FL
388 Posts

Profile of Steve Hart
After Danny sent me a private message explaining who he is....I ask, "What was this all about?"

I was offering my thoughts on the subject of marketing and the discussion appeared to turn sour....

Again...our words and the way we treat everyone else tells the truth of who we are....not our promotional material.

Blessings to all.
www.SteveHartSpeaks.com
www.magic2motivate.com
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
When danny turns down this offer Steve-- please contact me as I would love a free couching session with you. Smile

while I also agree with much of what is said I too stand by and say that with out a show to back up your claims you will go down in flames.

I have seen also many magicians that I have no clue how they got booked as their shows were horrible at best. then I went and looked at their website and promo material and it was amazing looking.
so it can go both ways.

you need to find that happy medium of having the perfected polished show and being able to promote and present it to potential clients.

I also will say that with all the "modern" technology that I still believe that personal invitations and recommendations are the best forms of advertising.
I have personally gotten more biz from schools recommending me to other schools then my mailings, emails, and website combined! again that goes back to having the product.

plan your work and work you plan

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Steve,

It's very hard to talk about marketing in this section anymore.

Still, it was good to see you here.

Tom
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
The question is very general (as well as your example). Perhaps you could refine your topic to get a focused discussion going.
Steve Hart
View Profile
Veteran user
Cocoa, FL
388 Posts

Profile of Steve Hart
Scott,

The question is how do you position yourself to be Number One in your chosen markets?

I guess one has to understand how "Position Marketing" works to understand what I am asking.

That is why I suggested everyone Google that term so they could understand what I was talking about.
It may appear to be very general if you don't understand the strategy but the it does work....marketing/advertising companies use it all the time.

Those of us who are successful use this strategy....they may not be aware of it or don't know what to call it.

It starts by identifying a market....that could be geographical...that could be the city you live in, a region or a state.
Or demographical...that could be birthday market or the college market.

Next you ask who is the number one entertainer in that market? Who is second...who is third?

Then you ask, "What must I do to be number one....or is that possible?"
If not then how can I choose a market where I CAN be the number one choice?

I went through several Youtube videos trying to find a decent one that would explain what I am talking about....finally I found one.
Take a look at this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3PRAJmfQaQ&feature=related

If you want to hear me speaking on this subject...go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBBZszobUbA
www.SteveHartSpeaks.com
www.magic2motivate.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
This seems more like blatant advertising of your site and coaching busineess, rather than having a genuine interest in "Position Marketing".

I've been aware of Steve and his materials for years now and it seems to me he has recently repositioned himself and his business and this is his way (mentioning it here, and posting his video and web site all in three short posts) to drum up coaching students. Seems maybe Steve has been studying some courses and gurus himself and is trying to utilize the Café to begin to generate students or subscribers to his program.

Seems to me "Position Marketing" is nothing new and really nothing different that creating top of mind awareness in the minds of your targeted potential customers.

Being a regular here in Tricky Business it just seems odd for someone to come on the scene under the guise of posing a question only to really self-promote. Let's call it for what it is. I'd have more respect if you simply came on here stating your real intentions. Give the regulars here some credit. Rule #1 in business Steve (as you should know) is never underestimate or insult the intelligence of your audience. If you can't do this, Position Marketing doesn't really matter.

Business Rule #2 is perception is everything. How you come on here and present yourself and your interests directly affects how people will perceive you and your business.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Which Strategy to use for Marketing Your Services? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL