The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » National IQ test (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Daniel Meadows
View Profile
Veteran user
Manchester, UK
392 Posts

Profile of Daniel Meadows
Anyone in the UK bother with this? It was a show that asked 70 Mensa style multiple choice questions, and had the audience divided into "students", "teachers", "builders", "blondes", "twins" and "celebrity".

From all the different groups they divided the scores into:

England got an average IQ of 108, joint with N. Ireland. Scotland 107. Wales 106.

Grey-haired people had the highest average at 113.

Blue-eyed had highest at 109.

Aquarius had the highest at 110.

Men average 111. Woman 104. Ha!

This was based on the 100,000 people that did it on the web.

From the studio audience:

Teachers just beat students at the top.
Celebs+twins+blondes came last.

It can't have been that accurate, or I should have an IQ of 135! (Even if I am a blue-eyed, Aquarius, male student from England!) If only I had the grey hair... If only!
Cerberus Wallet, Equilibrium, Counterfeit, Deadly Marked Deck, Infamous, Instinct
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Well, I didn't bother since IQ tests are pretty flawed and crude. And that's not because I'm Scottish!! Smile
Daniel Meadows
View Profile
Veteran user
Manchester, UK
392 Posts

Profile of Daniel Meadows
The funny thing about IQ tests are that different tests have different scales, when you would assume that they were all standard. That and the fact that the test was knowledge based in parts, when IQ tests are not meant to be knowledge dependent.
Cerberus Wallet, Equilibrium, Counterfeit, Deadly Marked Deck, Infamous, Instinct
Dave Le Fevre
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1666 Posts

Profile of Dave Le Fevre
I only took the test 'cuz my teenage son had printed off specimen test sheets. And I'm glad to say that I scored higher than him. And my wife was miffed to score lower than both my son and I. (And I'm making a lot on non-politically-correct capital out of that, as you can imagine!)

The calculations were rather coarse. At the end, you converted a number into an IQ via an age-related look-up table. I'm just 55, and one band was 55-69, another was 35-54. So had I taken the test a few months ago, I'd have scored 8 less. And that's quite a difference, I think.

It had a different "norm" to some other tests. Mensa always used to say that the top 2% scored 148 or more in the Mensa Cattell test. But, on this test, the top 2% level was 130 (we were told).

Dave
The Ozzy Osbourne of the 34x27
The Bear
View Profile
New user
Essex, UK
71 Posts

Profile of The Bear
I was one of the saddo's with nothing better to do on Saturday night than take the test. Modesty (or is it shame?) prevents me from revealing my final score.

I would have liked to have seen some of the celebrities be those that contributed to the "50 Greatest Magic Tricks" show. I wonder how well Jenny Eclair would have scored?
There are two types of people in the world. Those that divide the world into two types of people, and those that don't.
Illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
Earth
121 Posts

Profile of Illusionist
according to the IQ test for dogs mine is off the scale. Smile
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
I did one of the Mensa tests, years ago, a home one first, then because of my score, the proper 2 hour test at Swansea uni.

certified 141

I suppose that's why I am good at Puzzles and stuff

Phillip Smile
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
They did a similar one here in Australia but they also added the catagorie 'Kiwis'. (New Zealanders) I think they fared the worst.
Adam V - 9 out of 10 dentists recommend him.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
As a member of Mensa (IQ -- 157), I used to go to the weekly lunch meetings when I lived in the city.
About the only thing I could figure that the members had in common, other than the high IQ, was that most of them were unemployed!
Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » National IQ test (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL