The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Eggs Hatched and Lice and Mites question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicJac
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of MagicJac
Had 2 female doves and added 2 males

about 3 weeks later had 2 dove eggs and then the babies
They are around 1.5 weeks old now I think? I've noticed lice n mites on the mature
Doves. Is it ok if I wait until babies are grown to clean or spray all the mature
Doves for lice and mites?

MagicJac
RJE2
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of RJE2
That sounds more like a question for a vet.
MagicJac
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of MagicJac
Ok I sprayed doves and got rid of most mice and lites - problem is 1 baby died- and the other one is not looking too good the remaining one must be about 1 month old. - I am scared it may be something that may kill my other 4 mature doves.

Any help would be great - I know it's almost 4th of July but need help.

MagicJac
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5034 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Magic, if you only got rid of most of the lice and mites then your efforts are wasted. You must get rid of all of them. Be sure to spray each bird, especially under the wings. Keep them separated until all have been sprayed. Be sure to thoroughly clean all the cages with bleach before putting the birds back in them.

The mites and lice won't kill the birds so if they are looking sick, they have some other problem. Respiratory infection is the most common. I would suggest you take the two young birds to a vet to have them checked out. If they haven't come in contact with your mature birds, you should be ok but the long you wait, the more susceptable to disease they'll become.
Where the magic begins
MagicJac
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of MagicJac
Thanks Dave,

But yes they have been with the parents and 2 other doves since birth - I just took out the one baby left and separated in another cage by itself - I put the powder for respiratory infections in the water .. as well as in the water of the other birds.

I did noitice one of the mature doves a bit weak - wonder I i should put him with the other baby dove left- that is not one of the parents and its a male.

will clean all again too

any other tips? or should I do something different?

MagicJac
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5034 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
It sounds like whatever the babies have or had has spread throughout your family. I wouldn't mix any of your birds right now. Keep an eye on the mature dove. If it seems to get weaker, take him to a vet. It may need more than repiratory powder. The vet isn't that expensive and it's worth it to save the rest of your birds.

This isn't devasting but you must take action before it gets worse. It's controllable just like when a cold gets into your human family.
Where the magic begins
MagicJac
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of MagicJac
Ok I have 5 birds in total .. you mean separate each one -

right now I have just the 1.5 month baby alone - they other four mature doves are in the avairy and are all able to fly.

It was just one of them yesterday that seemed a bit weak, like when I went to grab it it diddnt try to fly away so quickly from me.

Jac

I separated baby yesterday. it is moving on the fllor cage but has not jumped to a perch.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5034 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
At this point, it wouldn't make much sense to separate each dove to it's own cage. Since they were all together at one point, they have been exposed to the infection. Just keep an eye on all of them and if you see any increasing signs in baby or adult, take them to a vet. There isn't much point if cleaning up the cages for lice until you get them healthy again. You'll have to cleanse the cages after they are cured anyway.
Where the magic begins
MagicJac
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of MagicJac
Ok also thanks dave- I had separated baby dove that was about 1 month old or a bit more - but I have a feeling that maybe sad now and its not helping and also not sure if at this points will help with any additional feeding if its not eating as well.

Also feathers on baby underneath wings and on top of body have not fully grown yet. the other one that died had a lot more feathers and looked a lot better , but for some reason did not make it.
MagicJac
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of MagicJac
Ok baby chick - can hardly stand on its legs- its extremely weak - I don't think I should put it back in avaiary with the 4 other mature doves. Im afraid what ever it has - will spread to the rest. Or can this be that it got worse since I separated it yetsrday.

They seem to have been eating on their own for the past 2-3 weeks already.

I know vet is good but times are real tight now, so trying my best to do what I can from home.

Jac
MagicJac
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of MagicJac
Ok so this is where I'm at.

One baby left- but seems sick - its about 1 month and 3 weeks - has been separated since 3 days ago. I have noticed one of the mature male doves from the aviary also a bit sick, he is weak and on the floor most of the day, can walk but has trouble, I'm concerned the remaining 3 doves will get it. Not sure if to separate this dove and put it with the 1.3 weeks old . this is a male mature and not its parent, or maybe in another cage by itself as well ?

Any help?

Jac
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5034 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
If you have the cage, I would separate the weak male and put it in the cage by itself. It really sounds like whatever the baby has, spread to your adults. I would take both the baby and the sick male to the vet to find out exactly what is wrong.
Where the magic begins
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
Are they going Potty, wow what a kids word, They could be bound up as well. any grit, eggshell in their diet??
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5034 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Quote:
Are they going Potty, wow what a kids word
Not such a kids word. I use it all the time of course they say old people are like kids. Smile

Anyway, Jac, if they aren't going "potty", start giving them wheat germ oil. It helps lubricate the insides and also has some good vitamins.
Where the magic begins
MagicJac
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of MagicJac
Ok well remaining baby dove died today- I put other sick male in that cage -so the other three mature doves left in aviary seem ok - humm no grit or egg shell on their diet, used to mix grit but have not done this for about a year -can this be a cause?

now that sick male is by itself in a cage - I will be able to tell if its "pooping" have mixed a respiratory illness powder in the water as well and will put egg shell with his food as don't have grit now.

Jac
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5034 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Jac, egg shells are a good source of calcium but are not a substitute for grit. Wow, no grit for a year. Doves cannot digest their food properly without grit. The grit sits in their craw and grinds the food. If you don't give them the grit, their digestive tract will suffer.
Where the magic begins
MagicJac
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of MagicJac
Used it on and off, but definitely now all the time! Thanks Dave!
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5034 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
There are mixed feelings about the use of grit. Some mix it with the food while others just put a small dish of out and leave it there. I always followed the latter. I had a small feed cup in the cage that always had grit. The doves somehow know when they need to eat some. You used to be able to get oyster shells which gave both calcium and grit but now it it almost a powder.
Where the magic begins
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
We get the oyster shell here at Atwoods, A farm supply store, It is very big and chunky, so much that I have to put it in a rag, and pummel it with a hammer to break it down,, Try that,,, Pummel I learned that from Word Girl....LOL If you have Grandkids, you know what I mean...LOL
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5034 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Those are the kind of shells I always used but about 6 years ago, for some reason they were no longer available in New Jersey
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Eggs Hatched and Lice and Mites question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL