The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Colour Change (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Breather
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Breather
There has been a recent post on colour changes where there were lots of references to The Bertram Colour Change. Presumably, the move referred to is where a double is shown, one card is stolen into Tenkai and then the change move is employed while the fingers brush over the card to be changed.

However, is Bertram known for another change. I ask this because there is a colour change whereby a double is taken and revolved through the hand leaving a card in Tenkai and thus creating a transformation as the card exits upward through the hand. I have seen this 'type' of move often credited as the Bertram Change. Asher has a change which he states is similar to Bertrams, which is very like the one just described. However, his appears to be more straight on and begins with a card already in tenkai rather than leaving a card there during the revolving movement through the hand.

Can anyone clarify?

And one other point, a year or two ago I was involved in a discussion on a different site regarding a colour change executed by Joe Pesci in the film My Cousin Vinny. Some referred to this as Bertram's. However, my memory of the way Pesci did the move was to hold a card face towards spectator, then the card was slowly turned anti-clockwise at the fingertips to show the back, after a little chat the card was once more turned anti-clockwise (horizontally) to show a different face. I came up with a move which imitates my memory of the move as described and requires a very different move to that (potentially) used by Bertram. So my question is this, did Bertram have a third move, should this be credited to someone other than Bertram or did I remember the move incorrectly and devise a different change which may or may not have been documented by someone previously?
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
Perhaps you are referring to Balthazar Fuente's color change? Dan Garrett has popularized it. The double is held facing the specs between the right 2nd finger and thumb. The 2nd finger is at the outer left corner, while the thumb is at the inner right corner. The right 1st finger is used to rotate the double 360 degrees. The outer right corner ends up at the base of the 1st and 2nd fingers (in the crotch) at which time the thumb disengages the upper card and rotates its face into view.

Is this the one?

Mike
Eddy
View Profile
Special user
Manchester
582 Posts

Profile of Eddy
Mike- The one you speak of.Is this the same as the method employed ny Jollingworth where he seems to pluck the aces one by one from his jacket, sort of a swivel of the card, then retaining the other in a clowyes palm?
La magie, c'est ma vie
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
There is another change called the spin change , I am not sure who to credit , however a double is used and the cards are held by diagonial corners, the double is turned very slowly and the card changes, using the tenkai palm.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Eddy
View Profile
Special user
Manchester
582 Posts

Profile of Eddy
The change that Lee Asher uses involves the pivoting of two cards while retaining one in tenkai. I think its called the revolution change.
La magie, c'est ma vie
Breather
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Breather
Mike,

Not sure which of the changes I described you are referring to. In my first post I described the Bertram change, I also described another change which is very similar to Asher's Revolution and which is often referred to as Bertram's.

The third one I described was a change that I came up with to match my memory of what I saw on My Cousin Vinny. The way I execute it as like this:

A double is held facing the spectator (there is no inner and outer corners, only lower and upper as the card is vertical). The card is held along its right edge by right fingertips and thumb. With the help of the left hand the double is rotated anti-clockwise (still vertical), until the back faces the audience in exactly the same way as the face of the card did.

As soon as the card stops at the latter position, the left thumb disengages the card nearest you from the one visible to the spectator. This is done at the bottom of the card and the right little finger slips in. This is all hidden as it happens at the back of the double. The bottom of the card nearest you continues to rise up, while the top of the same card starts to lower until the card is in a horizontal position behind the vertical card facing the spectator. This is now slipped into lateral palm. Finally, I revolve the vertical card anti-clockwise once more, until its face is revealed to the spectator as changed.

The card hidden in lateral palm can be moved into Tenkai, lapped or secreted back into the deck.

This is a move I came up with to explain what I ‘think’ I saw on the film. It should be done slowly with very little movement.

Hope this gives you a clearer view of all three moves I referred to. Please can you read my first post at the beginning of the thread in terms of helping with my queries.

Thanks.

Surely some of you in this community have a comprehensive knowledge of colour changes Smile...can anyone clarify?

Thanks.
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1614 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Quote:
On 2003-10-08 10:14, Eddy wrote:
The change that Lee Asher uses involves the pivoting of two cards while retaining one in tenkai. I think its called the revolution change.

I do own all Asher's videos... yes, that is called revolutionary change. However, I believe that taking two cards as one, show it once and then hide that card shown in tenkai position is known as miracle change (information from Guy Hollingwoth the London collection)

By the way, how about the dark change from Olmac Control Freak? It is really good!
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
bakerkn
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of bakerkn
Quote:
On 2003-10-08 07:36, spadone wrote:
[1]...a double is shown, one card is stolen into Tenkai and then the change move is employed while the fingers brush over the card to be changed.

[2]...a double is taken and revolved through the hand leaving a card in Tenkai and thus creating a transformation as the card exits upward through the hand.

These are both Ross Bertram sequences.

[1] Recently referred to as The Bertram Change, this is his "TeBe Change", described in "Bertram on Sleight of Hand".

[2] This is a variation on his "Pivot Change", described in the "Magic and Methods of Ross Bertram".
Breather
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Breather
Thankyou for your help bakerkn. That makes more sense.

So what about the third change I described. Has anyone seen My Cousin Vinny? Did I remember it correct? Was it Bertrams or someone else? Does the method I devised sound familiar to anyone?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Colour Change (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL