The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Bob Kohler's Human Phone Number 2.0 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3008 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On 2012-06-01 15:31, wmhegbli wrote:

@David Klass, how will knowing when an envelope is handed out, influence your reason to purchase this effect? If it is handed out before the number is selected, you will buy the trick, and if it after, you will not. I believe the answer is clear, no matter which one is answered you have not desire to purchase this effect, you only want what other have paid a high price to learn. Sorry, that is not how magic is sold, you know the secret, the trick is sold, as the old saying goes.

Please note, it is against the rules of the Café to discuss secrets in the working of tricks in an open forum. Continuing on your path may get you penalized by the Café. Just some friendly advice, as it seems you are escalating your theories.

wmhegbli - David is asking for the sequence of the routine, not the secret. Since the sequence is what the audience will see (and will be able to ponder as they try to deconstruct the effect), it's a legitimate question. Particularly since in any effect involving a revelation, sequence is important for obvious reasons.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1437 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
The freedom of this routine allows you to hand them out whenever you like. I hand them out before the number is selected. I don't see any issue with answering that question, as it doesn't reveal the secret in any way, shape or form. Buy the routine David, you won't be disappointed.
Bob Kohler
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of Bob Kohler
Actually I think everybody's got a valid point. HPN came right out of my show. I developed the basic routine in the late 80's. Immediately HPN became my closer. Kept working on it as did my friend's that I shared it with. It was only released because as all things in magic the routine leaked out. Eventually I had to publish it.

I knew the power and reaction the routine gets. I also knew that it would end up in the working repertoire of many pros. My intention was to give the pros the tool without telling them what to build with it. This way everybody would be forced to come up with their own presentation which would guarantee that everyone would not be clones.

So the training covers the main methods. There are many possible variations. That's the beauty of the routine. It came from the necessity of air travel and me being to lazy to carry a phone book around the world. So I went the path of creating methods to deal with any phone book I ended up with in my hotel room. Actually I enjoyed the challenge. After a few years there was nothing left to solve.

The envelopes can and have been handed out all at once, individually, before and during the routine. I don't recommend after...but if you can figure out a good reason to do it then go for it. You will want to create YOUR version of HPN. Creating your own presentation will make you different and this leads to more shows.

As for my old friend Eddie Tullock, he was almost impossible to follow with only his deck of cards. I would love to have seen his routine for HPN. He saw me perform it at a corporate event. His comment was "Don't tell me, I want to dream about it." What a great guy.
www.bobkohlermagic.com

Home of the BK Pro Line
Bob Kohler
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of Bob Kohler
The first run is now sold out. Next batch arrives Monday. If you need HPN soon it's best to order in advance so you're not disappointed.
www.bobkohlermagic.com

Home of the BK Pro Line
Bob Kohler
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of Bob Kohler
HPN 2.0 is wiped out again. Can't keep them in stock or build them fast enough. I will fill the backorders as fast as possible.
www.bobkohlermagic.com

Home of the BK Pro Line
TheTableTopTrixta
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
730 Posts

Profile of TheTableTopTrixta
So just to confirm this will work in the uk? With mobiles and land lines? Sounds great!
Bob Kohler
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of Bob Kohler
The only conditions are you need a phone book. One of the methods will work for whatever type you have or are forced to deal with.

As far as the actual phone numbers. HPN supplies you with 10 envelopes and 20 signs. You can build this into pretty much any number up to ten digits. If you need more envelopes you can probably locate them locally.
We can get them for you in sets of 10.
www.bobkohlermagic.com

Home of the BK Pro Line
Bob Kohler
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of Bob Kohler
The next batch of Human Phone Number arrives today. Only three sets are available as the rest are already sold. My new source for the signs can only supply a limited amount per month. So get it while you can.
www.bobkohlermagic.com

Home of the BK Pro Line
harbour
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of harbour
Would you send me a link to see this performed?
Thanks and regards
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2518 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On 2013-10-20 17:42, harbour wrote:
Would you send me a link to see this performed?
Thanks and regards

There is no link. Anything Bob puts out is gold.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
With the internet threatening to make physical phone books obsolete, and some phone companies weaning them out altogether within the next few ears, is there an alternative to using a phone book?
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
Robvs
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Robvs
I hear you can use VHS tapes or rotary phones as well. I also heard that you can pick up some things at Blockbuster video which can be used for this effect.
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
I personally wouldn't be to worried about the whole absolute issue as of yet. I've been performing something simular for the last 3 years and it still gets the exact same strong reactions. Everyone is familiar with a phone book and to be honest, the emphasis isn't really on the book itself, it's just a tool to use to your advantage. In 5 years, I may think a bit differently but I doubt it as I could easily rearrange my presentation to make it work. . The method I've been using allows you to use any type of book or even a newspaper if you wanted to and I'm sure with Bobs routine, you could customize it to fit your requirements.

Darren
Twitter @darjames
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
The principle used is very old and could be used with most books and magazines. You would probably use it to predict a word rather than a number.
christophe
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of christophe
I like HPN a lot! Brilliant!
Ronsmail
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
6 Posts

Profile of Ronsmail
Hey Bob, It's August 2014 and I just ordered my set. Anything different from this original 2012 post?
Looking forward to working with this piece. Thanks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Bob Kohler's Human Phone Number 2.0 (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL