The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Hypnosis in advertising (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6131 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I never seen this before... unusual ad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MINxg4p0......een&NR=1
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
It's not illegal to hypnotize people on TV. It's just boring and advertisers wouldn't want it. What people will sit through watching a stage show in person would have people at home clicking their remotes.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6131 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Its illegal in the UK to broadcast any induction on TV or Radio and I am sure its the case in Europe too. People can drop into trance just by watching others. Although I suspect that was a marketing phrase. It is only an an Advert in Holland.

The only thing about the message that is weak in my opinion is if the car is so good why would you need hypnotized to like it? Powers has loads of charisma though.

I don't know how the law stands with youtube though?
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Not illegal in US or Canada.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6131 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Here is the reason it was made illegal in the UK. BBC tried filming a live hypnosis show in 1952. The tv engineers fell into trance watching through the monitors.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people......819.html
hypnokid
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of hypnokid
Which act of parliament is that law in Mindpunisher? I have searched the statute and not found it.

HK
Too much style to be a stage hypnotist.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6131 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I'm not a lawyer ask one. But a full induction is not permitted to be broadcast on tv or radio in the UK. It has always been that way since I got into hypnosis 25 years ago. Even Paul McKenna stated that at the start of his shows. Its common knowledge among stage hypnotists.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19733 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Lots of common knowledge is more common than knowledge .
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6131 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
http://www.bbc.co.uk/editorialguidelines......pnotism/

There it is on the BBC website It is tied to the 1952 act apprantly.

I am not a lawyer I do not know the ins and outs of the law only that it is "illegal" not permitted or illicit. Either way no one will be able to do it.

illegal (ɪˈliːɡ ə l)

— adj
1. forbidden by law; unlawful; illicit
2. unauthorized or prohibited by a code of official or accepted rules

Whether it is because of a direct Act of Parliment or part an official authority's code it IS "illegal" in other words not permitted prohibited whatever words you want to use.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19733 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Do you have to make it a rule? Isn't it just common sense... never mind it is England .

Anyhow he asked for a law, not a BBC guideline.

I can't imagine why anyone would broadcast one. I mean just having someone under and out of your control is daft.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6131 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
It can't be done in this country its illegal. I doubt any programme would get a license to broadcast a full induction.

If he needs details of how the law prohibits then he should talk to a lawyer I'm not a lawyer. I don't make any rules either. I doubt any license would be given for any full broadcast of a show.

These are not BBC guidelines. The BBC do not have the power or authority to broadcast a full induction. No TV broadcasting company does.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19733 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
When I sell copies of my show I edit pug the induction. I don't have to, but again I can't imagine why someone wouldn't .

Plus it is as boring as can be.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6131 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Maybe so but the reason its not permitted is because of the possibility of viewers falling into trance while watch as happened to the TV engineers that were filming Peter Casson's show for TV.

I don't make up the reasons. Im not arguing for or against since it is most unlikely I will be on TV with a hypnosis show so I'm totally indifferent. Its just of historical and passing interest to me.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19733 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The reason I edit it is the same. Don't want someone falling on a coffee table. I just didn't need a law to tell me is all.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6131 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I agree its pretty obvious to me. But it seems not everybody thinks that way the link further up shows they were planning to broadcast the induction of Peter Casson's in 1952 the same year the hypnotism act was created!. I don't know if there was any connection? It was only when half their engineers went into trance they thought it was a bad idea.

I don't know about your part of the world Danny but we actually need commonsense rules and guidelines because there would be some idiot somewhere trying to do the things you probably wouldn't dream of.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
MP, did Casson really hypnotise the engineers, or is that the sort of legend we build up around ourselves to exploit a chance for some good publicity? I smell a fish...
Owen Mc Ginty
View Profile
Special user
not a stupid user, a special user.
533 Posts

Profile of Owen Mc Ginty
Quote:
On 2012-05-31 19:54, TonyB2009 wrote:
MP, did Casson really hypnotise the engineers, or is that the sort of legend we build up around ourselves to exploit a chance for some good publicity? I smell a fish...

Smells fishy to me too, but it smells like great !@#$in fish!
If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6131 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I think it is totally possible it happened. It happens all the time when I do shows. I am asked to wake someone up at the back that went into trance in the audience but had no intention of doing so. Especially big theater type shows it is quite common. Its used to happen to me nearly every show. I could easily see it happening to an engineer watching through a monitor.

If you read the article he never got on TV because of it or the exposure that lesser magicians got in his day.

I think its probably true even if only one engineer went into trance. And even if its not true it is still the reason why you are not allowed to broadcast a full induction because of the "danger" of someone falling into trance while watching. I think its possible that the very suggestible type could easily do so.

But I don't know how it could be verified. I assume the BBC would have historical records of it somewhere? It mustve been great being a hypnotist in those days when there was still so much mystery surrounding hypnosis.
Owen Mc Ginty
View Profile
Special user
not a stupid user, a special user.
533 Posts

Profile of Owen Mc Ginty
It´s kind of weird like that in spain, or at least here in the south - a load of people here still think that kinda stuff is black magic Smile
If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19733 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
In Jamaica they still have people who believe in Voo doo!!! You are just short of a god to people when you look at someone and say sleep and they fall over.

I could see an engineer falling asleep. I can also see people not quite understanding what is going on and over reacting and making rules and laws. I can also see the hypnotist not wanting to tip the gaff either. It all actually makes perfect sense to me.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Hypnosis in advertising (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL