The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPS-alutely » » Check out this new App (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheAmazingSteveo
View Profile
Inner circle
1569 Posts

Profile of TheAmazingSteveo
Ultimate Book Test for iPhone/iPod and Android Devices

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ubt-for-m......s=1&mt=8

There is a write up on it in the latest Vanish Mag. Vol 2 by Paul Romhany

You can get a free copy of Vanish Mag. from (both 1 and 2):
http://www.vanishmagazine.com/

Site: http://www.ultimatebooktest.com

Also, there is a discussion about UBT on themagiccafe Inner Sessions here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=82&182
MikeBeaudet
View Profile
Loyal user
B�cancour
215 Posts

Profile of MikeBeaudet
Why should I pay 80 $ for this kind of app?
Do your best and forget the rest
FredNarlo
View Profile
Veteran user
Been waiting for John Dough for the last
319 Posts

Profile of FredNarlo
Right! I am a little confused...
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
This app is way underpriced. $80 is a bargain.

best
Sean
MikeBeaudet
View Profile
Loyal user
B�cancour
215 Posts

Profile of MikeBeaudet
The price is now 30$. I big change in 2 days!

I still don't figure out what is the utility of an apps which is just the contains of 7 classic books ? Maybe I'm too stupid.

Mike
Do your best and forget the rest
TheAmazingSteveo
View Profile
Inner circle
1569 Posts

Profile of TheAmazingSteveo
I have permission from Paul Romhany to post this review:

App reviewed in V2 of http://www.VanishMagazine.com
Reviewed by Paul Romhany

UBT for Professional Mentalists and Magicians V1.1

By Steven Skindell
DESCRIPTION:

UBT is known as the Ultimate Book Test. It is a sophisticated tool used for professional mentalists and magicians. The app is used to view on an ipod/iphone the same information that a specta­tor is reading in a selected book and page (there are 7 books a spectator can choose from -- Dracula, Frankenstein, Of Mice and Men, Animal Farm, Robinson Crusoe, Persuasion and War of the Worlds -- all paperback books are old well known classics.

On the screen the mentalist inputs the book, the page number and presses the Go button ... the text of that selected book and page then starts scrolling on the screen like a teleprompter. The mentalist can than read what is on the screen without user input and guide the spectator to look at specific section on their selected page .. and then the mentalist talks about an image he/she is getting from the spectators mind.

A LITTLE HISTORY ON THE APP:

The Ultimate Book Test was first published in 2007. It was devel­oped using a Windows Phone. Five Classic Books were used and it was a complete package that sold for $1100.00. The program would display on the screen inputs for the book selected by a spectator, the page number and the line number.

The windows phone was embedded in a clipboard paper well ... the papers at the bottom of the clipboard would have a hole in it where the phone would reside.

The phone was covered by a few blank sheets of paper. The pa­per and clipboard was used beforehand with real writing with a pen to condition the audience that it was a normal clipboard with paper.

The latest version of the book test was developed for the iPhone/iPod/iPad and the Android devices. Based on some great recom­mendations from Max Krause this version uses NO line numbers. Paragraph markers are used to navigate the spectator to a section on the page where you want them to start reading. A teleprompter like display scrolls the page on the screen. You use a pen/stylus to navigate the book, page number and the area where you want the spectator to start reading.

UBT Version 1.1 for the Apple devices includes the following seven books in the software: Animal Farm, Persuasion (a love story), Frankenstein, Dracula, War of the Worlds, Robinson Crusoe and of Mice and Men. This version is available now for Android devices with 480 x 800 screen resolutions. You will need to purchase your own physical books as well as your own device.

MY THOUGHTS:
In my opinion the best use of an iPhone/Pad/Touch application is when the trick doesn’t happen on the device. I much prefer using it as a hidden tool to get the information I need. With this incredible book test application you can do exactly that. The instructions show how to put your device in a pad of paper so it is never seen. I have an old iTouch I never use, so it has now become dedicated to this trick.

Imagine a spectator having a free choice of book, any word, any line and you know exactly what they are looking at. I really do feel this could very well be the ultimate book test. It is so easy to use, and the information is instant. It’s what you could call ‘real’ time reading. What the spectator is reading in their book, you are seeing on your device. If it were any better then you’d really be able to read their minds. The updated version means you don’t need them to tell you the lines they are looking at.

Another aspect of this that really excites me is that some top professionals are using it, and coming up with amazing routines. Imagine not evening having to see what book they have chosen, yet still be able to use this application. The possibilities are end­less, and Steven seems to be adding more books.

WHAT ELSE YOU WILL NEED:

You will need to supply the EXACT books for this to work. The ISBN numbers are supplied, but it is important you get the cor­rect ones. All the information you need to purchase these from Amazon are in the help file. The books can be purchased for as little as a few dollars each. Remember, these are REAL books that aren’t gimmicked in any way.

A nice bonus is that you get access to a private forum where oth­ers who have purchased this app talk about their own routines, share tips and hints on using it. Some of the ideas are ground-breaking for mentalism. What is nice about the latest update is that it includes feminine style books, as well as masculine. I think it is important to have books that appeal to both sexes.

FINAL THOUGHTS: This very well may be the ultimate book test. I have added this to my own professional repertoire, and it has become a highlight of the act. Not only do the audience love it, but I love performing it. It is easy to use, and with the free choices it is as close to the real deal as you could get. With this application you are only limited by your imagination.

COST: $79.99
AVAILABLE FROM THE iTunes STORE

http://www.ultimatebooktest.com/
Zebaztian
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
655 Posts

Profile of Zebaztian
$49.99 it is now.
My mind reading routines: http://www.basjongenelen.nl/goocheltrucs/. Scroll a bit down to the English routines.
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
Wandering around with
2329 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Since the price fluctuates...I'll wait for the $9.99 sale
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
821 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
$19.99 tonight ... I just purchased it. It won't replace my Luna but it will definitely have its place in my repertoire. Now to get these paperbacks purchased. Hopefully I can get them all from the same place on Amazon, to cut down on shipping.

It might not be a bad idea to make a reading list on Amazon with the exact books that need to be ordered. If they allowed a bulk order of the listings with one click, that would be even better.
All small town magicians know what 793.8 signifies.
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
821 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
Magicmind, I wouldn't wait too long. There is talk of increasing the price to $350. I got it for $19 tonight. I would jump on it.
All small town magicians know what 793.8 signifies.
SpellMagic
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of SpellMagic
Are there some more experiences with this app ? I think to buy it, but unsure.
SpellMagic
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of SpellMagic
Oh my god I just see that the app today costs here in europe 80 EUR. :-(
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPS-alutely » » Check out this new App (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL